The Student Room Group

Why are people obsessed with travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kdranginis
Because experiencing another culture broadens your horizon, I love travelling. I don't mind whether its 3 days somewhere else in England, or the other side of the world.
I feel it makes you a more rounded person able to accept other people's beliefs, cultures and customs. It's all I want to do in life, I'd rather travel over everything material. What would your rather tell your grankids about, "I once had a really nice car which has now got old and been scrapped" or all about your incredible travel adventures. I know my choice, but each to their own!

Completely agree with this. For some people it's not all about 'leaving their footprint' and being able to use the dreadful term YOLO. I don't understand how anybody could not want to see all the amazing things there is to see out there!
Reply 21
God you sound boring OP.
because some people don't want to be stuck in the same monotonous country and life style for ever and would like to see how others in the world live?
Says me on the other side of the world mwah a :colone:
Reply 22
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. :holmes:
If you're able to, why wouldn't you travel a lot?

If it weren't for me dodgy stomach I would take off with a back pack and get the first plane out of Heathrow.
I guess everyone is different, you may like football... but I may hate it. I like travelling you don't.

SIMPLES.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I'm looking into going to Peru this summer volunteering - I know I won't be able to do stuff like that for long, so I want to make the most of it.

... Always looking for a travel buddy. :biggrin:

Volunteering in Peru ? How the heck did you go about doing that ? If you dont mind me asking :colondollar:
Reply 26
Because travelling is awesome.

You get to experience new cultures, cuisines, languages, climate, wildlife, meet a variety of different and interesting people. It also helps shape your understanding of the world.

I couldn't care less about leaving a footprint or saying "I was there!". I travel because it's exciting, fun and enlightening.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Volunteering in Peru ? How the heck did you go about doing that ? If you dont mind me asking :colondollar:

I don't mind! I'm still trying to hunt down a travel buddy since I lost mine :biggrin: Typical.

I'm using Original Volunteers. Their expeditions are pretty cheap, but you have to arrange your own flights. But that's what fundraising is for!

You can volunteer for as long as you like at any time of the year. So it's really flexible.

I should be going in the summer. But God knows if I will. I don't fancy going alone, so it might depend on whether or not I can convince someone along.
I don't mind! I'm still trying to hunt down a travel buddy since I lost mine :biggrin: Typical.

I'm using Original Volunteers. Their expeditions are pretty cheap, but you have to arrange your own flights. But that's what fundraising is for!

You can volunteer for as long as you like at any time of the year. So it's really flexible.

I should be going in the summer. But God knows if I will. I don't fancy going alone, so it might depend on whether or not I can convince someone along.

Id actually looooove to do something like this , its a shame because my funds are really low atm and I planned on spending this summer working .

Aww how did you lose your travel buddy ? Dont you just hate unreliable people :tongue:

I wouldnt mind going alone , it would be a journey of self discovery :biggrin: , done things like it before and Ive learnt alot about myself. Though it would be better ofc with a travel buddy. Your bound to meet lots of people who came along alone aswell though ! Dont let such a minor reason make you miss out on a life changing experience !
(edited 11 years ago)
Id actually looooove to do something like this , its a shame because my funds are really low atm and I planned on spending this summer working .

Aww how did you lose your travel buddy ? Dont you just hate unreliable people :tongue:

I wouldnt mind going alone , it would be a journey of self discovery :biggrin: , done things like it before and Ive learnt alot about myself. Though it would be better ofc with a travel buddy. Your bound to meet lots of people who came along alone aswell though !

I was originally planning on Nepal but the accomodation is loads better in Peru. And the spiders are smaller. I'm not even ashamed. :cool:

She's working this summer, as it turns out. Leaves me in a bit of a lurch! I'm sure I'll find someone.

Yeah, I can always make friends on it :smile: But I know my parents are happier if I'm going with a friend. I can see why, Peru hasn't always been the height of stability...
I was originally planning on Nepal but the accomodation is loads better in Peru. And the spiders are smaller. I'm not even ashamed. :cool:

She's working this summer, as it turns out. Leaves me in a bit of a lurch! I'm sure I'll find someone.

Yeah, I can always make friends on it :smile: But I know my parents are happier if I'm going with a friend. I can see why, Peru hasn't always been the height of stability...

Just done a quick google search on Peru . Wowwww it looks pretty amazing im sure you would have some fabulous memories there ! It would be great to get away from all the hectic ness of student life and just think .

Ahh fair enough , fair enough . Spiders ! They would have to be one of THE main worries I get about traveling , long plane journey ? I can take it . Blistering heat ? Doesn't phase me . Snakes ? Im not bothered . But spiders .... Jesus christ they creep me out so much If I ever came face to face with a wild tarantula im sure id faint or something ::eek:
Just done a quick google search on Peru . Wowwww it looks pretty amazing im sure you would have some fabulous memories there ! It would be great to get away from all the hectic ness of student life and just think .

Ahh fair enough , fair enough . Spiders ! They would have to be one of THE main worries I get about traveling , long plane journey ? I can take it . Blistering heat ? Doesn't phase me . Snakes ? Im not bothered . But spiders .... Jesus christ they creep me out so much If I ever came face to face with a wild tarantula im sure id faint or something ::eek:

It does look amazing! :biggrin:

I can't stand spiders. Awful creatures - I'm bad with small ones, never mind huge ones. And the ones in Nepal were described as "friendly" towards humans. :eek: I do NOT want friendly spiders. I want shy spiders.

I actually own a snake. :cool:
It does look amazing! :biggrin:

I can't stand spiders. Awful creatures - I'm bad with small ones, never mind huge ones. And the ones in Nepal were described as "friendly" towards humans. :eek: I do NOT want friendly spiders. I want shy spiders.

I actually own a snake. :cool:

I wish you the best of luck finding a travel partner , by the way how much on average were the tickets to peru ?

Friendly spiders ? Hahaha no thanks .

You own a snake ? Wow that must be the coolest thing ever , what type is it ?
Because we are born and spend our lives in such small areas whilst there is so much more out there. Billions of people, hundreds of cities, thousands of things to do! Think of the possibilities, who knows what will happen? Most of our lives are spent in the same places doing the same things, sometimes it is important to remember more is going on and of all the other views of our world.

The world is so large and life is full of chances so it would be a waste to spend it all doing the same thing in one place. Sure travelling is subjective and different people are attracted to different amounts; some people find a yearly holiday is enough whereas others try to explore as much as they possibly can. Some people I know have left school, gotten a job and have gotten into a routine of clubbing and a yearly party holiday to spain. That is alright if you like that sort of thing and they seem to enjoy it but they probably have the same routine now as they do now and it astounds me how people can be satisfied knowing there is a whole world full of wonderful oppertunities and not want to see it.

Then there is the amazing variety in the world. I have a friend who went to israel on their gap year and know a lot of people who have been to New York, both are wonderful in very different ways. We probably have narrow views of the world because we assume things are normal where we live but there is so much more. There are so many oppertunities and possibilities in the world that it would be a shame to miss them.
I wish you the best of luck finding a travel partner , by the way how much on average were the tickets to peru ?

Friendly spiders ? Hahaha no thanks .

You own a snake ? Wow that must be the coolest thing ever , what type is it ?

Looks like it's costing an awful lot - to the point that I may have to put this off until next summer! A thousand pounds for the flight there and back, it looks like.

:biggrin: I do indeed. He's a cornsnake - California Corn. His colours are like this - DSC00142.jpg And I can see him from here :cool:
It's the only thing that drives me to get a good job, really. I never traveled anywhere when I was growing up. There's so many reasons why people are obsessed with it, I don't know where to start.
Reply 36
They're trying to be cool and edgey for the most part. I can bet that 90% could care less about the native culture and if they did, they'll probably want to change it to mirror theirs. Que feminists/atheists.
(edited 11 years ago)
1) The UK is boring as fuark!!!! - literally.
2) Because of Chris Guillebeau :ahee:
Original post by 2ndClass
They're trying to be cool and edgey for the most part. I can bet that 90% could care less about the native culture and if they did, they'll probably want to change it to mirror theirs. Que feminists/atheists.

What do feminism and atheism have to do with travel?

Feminism can of course be linked to volunteering campaigns in less developed countries. But I fail to see how that's at all linked to regular travel.

And the atheism shot was just random.
Reply 39
What do feminism and atheism have to do with travel?

Feminism can of course be linked to volunteering campaigns in less developed countries. But I fail to see how that's at all linked to regular travel.

And the atheism shot was just random.

What do you think those "volunteering campaigns" attempt to achieve exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest