The Student Room Group

Self teaching a-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by madfish
i think its astounding that it can be used to describe everything and physicists such as micho kaku or on the brink of finding a 1 inch long mathematical expression that sums up the universe

Look up string theory, it so so interesting

now that; is outstanding

Ah robbie you should take up physics!! AS is so easy.. especially the mechanics part! youd ace it! and I can see that you're a more mathematically inclined human therefore you'd be better at sci ency subjects :smile:
It's really annoying at gcse I wasn't allowed to live and breath sciences, instead I was forced onto foundation for everything... state schools suck...

I will do! going to a lecture of thursday on the big-bang theory with my friend at a museum, hope its interesting!

I truly wish I picked physics, but by next year it seems like a waste personally, I would be sitting all exams in the summer and having 3 A2's + STEP is enough of my plate I think
Reply 21
Original post by Robbie242
It's really annoying at gcse I wasn't allowed to live and breath sciences, instead I was forced onto foundation for everything... state schools suck...

I will do! going to a lecture of thursday on the big-bang theory with my friend at a museum, hope its interesting!

I truly wish I picked physics, but by next year it seems like a waste personally, I would be sitting all exams in the summer and having 3 A2's + STEP is enough of my plate I think

just learn it over summer and drop in with your a2 class!

aw man that would be sweat i hope you have an awesome time :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by PythianLegume
I would've thought it was the other way around. Science A-Levels are so basic, you can learn the facts from the textbooks, but analytical skills are harder to learn from a textbook.

I couldn't disagree more.
The theories and how they are derived in science, especially maths and physics, are much more difficult to teach yourself.

You need analytic skills in science too so I'm not really sure what you are getting at there.

Practicals are another issue. If you are not timetabled to do them it can become very tricky.

Quick Reply

Latest