The Student Room Group

Straight women going to gay bars!

Scroll to see replies

If girls go solely to have a good night like in any club i do not see the problem because gay people wouldnt like to be refused entry for a straight club therefore it is wrong for it to be the other way round people need to just pipe the **** down ...
Original post by McHumpy92
That part was a joke from previous post...with the guy who did the equation.

Their motives aren't to avoid straight men though is it...lets face it. Their motives are too look modern, liberal and mostly to hang around camp men like the ones they see in American TV shows.

I was just pointing that out in this thread and pointing out how most the gay blokes do not want you there....as a gay bloke confirmed in this thread and what I have also heard from several gay blokes.

I certainly go to hang out with my friends who happen to be gay or lesbian. Is it not fathomable that straight women might find the attentions of straight men overbearing at times and just want to have a few nights away from it all? Certainly I think that you need to be in the situation to know you want out sometimes.
Original post by HistoryNerd
If girls go solely to have a good night like in any club i do not see the problem because gay people wouldnt like to be refused entry for a straight club therefore it is wrong for it to be the other way round people need to just pipe the **** down ...

As a poster said earlier, then often straight clubs can be fairly homophobic, so why shouldn't gay clubs be heterophobic by your logic.
Original post by rmhumphries
As a poster said earlier, then often straight clubs can be fairly homophobic, so why shouldn't gay clubs be heterophobic by your logic.

Because since LGBT people know exactly how horrible it is to be judged for your sexuality, they tend to be accepting of people regardless of sexual orientation. (Prejudiced LGBT people do exist, but they are far less vicious than homophobes can be, from my experience)
Original post by edithwashere
Because since LGBT people know exactly how horrible it is to be judged for your sexuality, they tend to be accepting of people regardless of sexual orientation. (Prejudiced LGBT people do exist, but they are far less vicious than homophobes can be, from my experience)

True - and I am not saying that LGBT spaces are heterophobic. Just that from an extension of straight clubs being homophobic, it can be nice to have LGBT spaces without significant numbers of straight people (or without having groups of just straight people; as per my earlier post then I have no people with straight friends going along with their LGBT friends - as they are likely to be accepting and non-homophobic).
Original post by rmhumphries
True - and I am not saying that LGBT spaces are heterophobic. Just that from an extension of straight clubs being homophobic, it can be nice to have LGBT spaces without significant numbers of straight people (or without having groups of just straight people; as per my earlier post then I have no people with straight friends going along with their LGBT friends - as they are likely to be accepting and non-homophobic).

Other than the really busy London gay clubs like GAY and Heaven though, I've never experienced large groups of straight women coming in. You see a few here and there, but they certainly make up only a small minority of the clientele. I think OP might just be buying into a stereotype...
Other than the really busy London gay clubs like GAY and Heaven though, I've never experienced large groups of straight women coming in. You see a few here and there, but they certainly make up only a small minority of the clientele. I think OP might just be buying into a stereotype...

Hasn't been a problem I have encountered either (not that I go clubbing much), but then was commenting on the lines of the thread. I could imagine it might be more of a problem in the bigger cities such as London and Manchester.
Reply 87

Original post by DK_Tipp
Last time I checked most venues welcomed anybody regardless of their orientation. I'm pretty sure that would be a condition of their license and to do otherwise would contravene legislation banning discrimination on the basis of sex, orientation, religion, race, nationality or political beliefs.

Really? I know of clubs where you have to prove your homosexuality (being vouched for, giving the bouncer head, having a partner) in order to gain entrance. A lesbian friend of mine and her girlfriend were rejected entry to a gay bar because "they were too pretty to be straight". Gay friends of mine constantly warn straights not to act straight when going to the local gay bar because they will be attacked or kicked out.

Hetero- and homophobia are actually rife within the gay world. The entire idea of a gay bar is heterophobic in many ways. Really, I honestly believe it would do the LGBTQ world a great favour to remove gay and lesbian bars, because segregation has never worked before to end prejudice so I don't see it working now.

Original post by jreid1994
It's annoying! Chatting up a straight guy in a gay bar is the worst!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worse than chatting up anyone else who isn't interested in you. Unless they respond badly to your advances, but that's not defined as a "straight" trait.

Original post by McHumpy92
That part was a joke from previous post...with the guy who did the equation.

Their motives aren't to avoid straight men though is it...lets face it. Their motives are too look modern, liberal and mostly to hang around camp men like the ones they see in American TV shows.

I was just pointing that out in this thread and pointing out how most the gay blokes do not want you there....as a gay bloke confirmed in this thread and what I have also heard from several gay blokes.

Well, if we are taking anecdotal evidence, then I've only never met any gay who dislike straights, men or women, in their bars. That said, as evidenced above, I have heard of it happening. Just because your gay friends dislike it, and a few in this thread, doesn't mean everyone does.

Besides, straight women going to gay bars has been happening far longer than 90210's remake or Sex and the City. And the most common answer given for going is either gay friends or just wanting to avoid being hit on. And what's wrong with that? Women generally get hit on far more than men, so it makes sense they would go somewhere where the chances of being hit on are a lot less if they just want a night out with good music.
Reply 88
wrong thread
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending