The Student Room Group

Calculator

I am looking to get a calculator that can do symbolic integration and differentiation. E.g. If I put in the integral of (sin2x) it will give me -0.5cosx

What is the best (preferably cheap!) calculator that can do this?

Btw I know these are not allowed in UK exams..
No idea but what's the point.

Outside your exam you could just use Wolfram Alpha.
Reply 2
Can't go wrong with the good old Casio in my opinion :wink:
Original post by sabre2th1
I am looking to get a calculator that can do symbolic integration and differentiation. E.g. If I put in the integral of (sin2x) it will give me -0.5cosx

What is the best (preferably cheap!) calculator that can do this?

Btw I know these are not allowed in UK exams..

Agree with Mr M, what would you actually want to achieve from this? (other than throwing ~£200 down the drain) :tongue:
E.g. If I put in the integral of (sin2x) it will give me -0.5cos2x +C + \mathcal{C}

And
(edited 11 years ago)
You can get Casio ones which will differentiate and integrate for you for about 15 quid.

Edit: Just found it... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364336888&sr=8-3 I think it does the job but I can't be too sure if it will do it with unknown values.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
And

The calculator that produces his answer presumably would be cheaper than £200 ... ?
And

Me sir! Me sir! +C :biggrin:
Original post by SpiggyTopes

Err ... no!
You can get Casio ones which will differentiate and integrate for you for about 15 quid.

Not symbolically.

I was more referring to the fact that sin2xdx=12cos2x+C\displaystyle\int sin2x dx = -\frac{1}{2} cos2x + \mathcal{C} rather than 12cosx+C-\frac{1}{2}cosx + \mathcal{C} but yes, I suppose the + C as well :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
Err ... no!

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? :colondollar:
I was more referring to the fact that sin2xdx=12cos2x+C\displaystyle\int sin2x dx = -\frac{1}{2} cos2x + \mathcal{C} rather than 12cosx+C-\frac{1}{2}cosx + \mathcal{C} but yes, I suppose the + C as well :tongue:

I didn't even notice the missing 2! :mad:

:biggrin:
Original post by Mr M
The calculator that produces his answer presumably would be cheaper than £200 ... ?

xD PRSOM
Did I get the wrong end of the stick? :colondollar:

Yes - your point was valid too though!
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M
No idea but what's the point.

Outside your exam you could just use Wolfram Alpha.

Original post by Season One
Can't go wrong with the good old Casio in my opinion :wink:

Agree with Mr M, what would you actually want to achieve from this? (other than throwing ~£200 down the drain) :tongue:

Sorry for the late reply. The reason I want to buy one is because my college has given me a £100 bursary to spend on books (I was meant to get this payment in September) but I have already got all the books I need. So they said I can buy a calculator with the money.. Hence why I am asking for a good calculator to buy..
Sorry for the late reply. The reason I want to buy one is because my college has given me a £100 bursary to spend on books (I was meant to get this payment in September) but I have already got all the books I need. So they said I can buy a calculator with the money.. Hence why I am asking for a good calculator to buy..

Could you buy software instead? Purchase a student copy of Autograph or some such?

Quick Reply

Latest