The Student Room Group

Why are people obsessed with travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2ndClass
What do you think those "volunteering campaigns" attempt to achieve exactly?

Depends on the country. Take, for example, the one I'm planning on - it's working in a children's orphanage in Peru, in Cuzco. Nothing wrong with that.

Some are obviously more focused on wider problems. Such as sexual education to prevent the spread of STDs in third world countries. Or protecting local environments.

They could be aiming at a million different causes.
Reply 41
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Depends on the country. Take, for example, the one I'm planning on - it's working in a children's orphanage in Peru, in Cuzco. Nothing wrong with that.

Some are obviously more focused on wider problems. Such as sexual education to prevent the spread of STDs in third world countries. Or protecting local environments.

They could be aiming at a million different causes.

What I find interesting about feminists is that they're the staunchest opponents of cultural relativism. Through your "volunteering campaigns" you actively seek to fundamentally change the societal formations of indigenous cultures to become feminist/liberal centric.You're essentially destroying what are world treasures because of your superimposed socio-political beliefs. I feel so bad for those people who are so naive and impressionable to an act of "charity" that they don't know you ulterior motives. Leave them alone for god's sake. If you're there to do charity work leave your feminist nonsense here.
(edited 11 years ago)
What I find interesting about feminists is that they're the staunchest opponents of cultural relativism. Through your "volunteering campaigns" you actively seek to fundamentally change the societal formations of indigenous cultures to become feminist/liberal centric.You're essentially destroying what are world treasures because of your superimposed socio-political beliefs. I feel so bad for those people who are so naive and impressionable to an act of "charity" that they don't know you ulterior motives.

Wow. I'm sorry, but do you have a form of paranoia we didn't know about?

If a countries culture employs discriminatory measures against people for their race, gender, social class, etc, then it should be changed. It doesn't matter if that's their tradition - if it's harming people because of something they can't help, it should be changed.

One society's norm may be to allow rape. Is that okay just because it's in another country? No, of course not. It should be campaigned against and discouraged.

If my ulterior motives are that I want to help end discrimination, then bring it on. :colonhash:
I've been lucky and been able to do a fair bit of travelling but there are other places I really want to see. But it's not just abroad, I've never been to Ireland and I've only seen a tiny bit of Cardiff so I'd like to see more of Wales. There's a lake in Italy with a submerged castle, I want to see the Northern Lights in real life, I want to go to Australia and see a kangaroo that isn't in a zoo. There are so many things I'd like to see with my own eyes, I'm easily bored so living in the same city for 12 years has made me desperate to travel. I love seeing how different humanity is in different places, even though we're really all the same, but the environment and culture we're in makes us a bit different too. I saw Human Planet and if I ever had the opportunity to go in one of those tree homes that are tens of feet above the ground I'd literally jump at it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Wow. I'm sorry, but do you have a form of paranoia we didn't know about?

If a countries culture employs discriminatory measures against people for their race, gender, social class, etc, then it should be changed. It doesn't matter if that's their tradition - if it's harming people because of something they can't help, it should be changed.

One society's norm may be to allow rape. Is that okay just because it's in another country? No, of course not. It should be campaigned against and discouraged.

If my ulterior motives are that I want to help end discrimination, then bring it on. :colonhash:

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. You don't go there to get a greater understanding of their lives or to come back appreciating their distinct culture. You're just there to change them, point blank. You perceive them and their culture to be inferior to yours so it's seemingly in your right to go there and "civilize" them. How disgustingly arrogant. And don't even try to frame this as an issue of discrimination. And I love how you've unilaterally come up with what consists of discrimination that is conveniently bereft of their input or sensitive to their way of life. And rape, seriously? because you've solved that over here right? but ofcourse how could the simpletons over there live for thousands of years without some Geordie coming to tell them what's right and wrong :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you for confirming my suspicions. You don't go there to get a greater understanding of their lives or to come back appreciating their distinct culture. You're just there to change them, point blank. You perceive them and their culture to be inferior to yours so it's seemingly in your right to go there and "civilize" them. How disgustingly arrogant. And don't even try to frame this as an issue of discrimination. And I love you've unilaterally come up with what consists of discrimination that is conveniently bereft of their input or sensitive to their way of life. And rape, seriously? because you've solved that over here right :rolleyes:

Oh no, I love the fact that different cultures build their houses differently, cook their foods different ways, have festivals and traditions that we wouldn't even dream of. Other countries have amazingly different concepts of life and death than we do - and in some ways, they're much, much better! We could certainly do with taking on some of the ideologies prevalent in other cultures. We'd be a much more rounded civilisation.

You've basically misconstrued everything I've said, utterly deliberately. They're not inferior - I am no better than them. I have never said that.

I don't think they have to be "civilised". But human rights violations should be challenged wherever they occur.

Oh, so now it is my task to stop rape? Is that really what you're saying?

It's well known that rape in countries like Columbia, India, Tanzania etc, is much more common than in the UK, because of attitudes towards it. Only by changing those attitudes - the ones that allow rape to go unpunished or are apathetic to it - can the rape rate be brought down.
Reply 46
Oh no, I love the fact that different cultures build their houses differently, cook their foods different ways, have festivals and traditions that we wouldn't even dream of. Other countries have amazingly different concepts of life and death than we do - and in some ways, they're much, much better! We could certainly do with taking on some of the ideologies prevalent in other cultures. We'd be a much more rounded civilisation.

Yes those to you are "acceptable" cultural traits. However if such cultures also exhibited strongly patriarchal social formations, i.e girl's primary roles is to gather food, tend to communal duties rather than getting an education and finding a job, you'd actively go and change that correct?

Oh, so now it is my task to stop rape? Is that really what you're saying?

No that's what you're saying, go read your previous post
Reply 47
Original post by OL1V3R
I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

So why is travelling so popular?

Have you ever been abroad? I have travelled since I was as young as I can remember, I know I'm pretty lucky for that, but personally for me there is nothing better than travelling. Most amazing thing you can do.
I love travelling, it's the most addictive thing ever! I've had depression for the last few years and escaping my home life, exploring different cultures and places and meeting new people has done wanders to it! It's so important to me.
Yes those to you are "acceptable" cultural traits. However if such cultures also exhibited strongly patriarchal social formations, i.e girl's primary roles is to gather food, tend to communal duties rather than getting an education and finding a job, you'd actively go and change that correct?

No that's what you're saying, go read your previous post

There's a huge difference to men and women working at separate tasks to ensure they survive together, and women being forced into gender roles. If women are being forced out of an education, and therefore kept dependant on men, then yes, that should be changed, It's a violation of their human rights. As it would be if it was the other way round, or certain races being forced out of schools.

Being "cultural" does not mean discrimination should be ignored. That's utter bull****.

No, I didn't. I said an example of a volunteering campaign might be to try to change the systems in place that are apathetic to rape. I never said that I personally am going to change it. Don't be absurd, and do try to learn how to read.

Since I've answered many questions, you should answer one - why is the respect of another culture worth a free pass at violating basic human rights? If it was within a country's culture to kill women who want to be educated, should that not be challenged?

I don't know why I'm bothering, since you're a feminist-hating sexist, but I'm curious now.
Reply 50
Original post by OL1V3R
I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest....

Original post by kdranginis
Because experiencing another culture broadens your horizon....

Posted from TSR Mobile

This remind of of a joke that John Bishop said about how his brother was telling his dad how he wanted to go on a gap year and 'find himself' to which his dad replied what if you find him and he's also a **** head.
On my gap yah I went to Malaysia for a month and America for a month. Other exotic destinations include Iceland. I now live in France and study languages. Despite this intercultural orientation, my enduring impression of the wider world has been it's more or less the same as at home except with different weather and the people are sometimes different colours.

So I don't get people who get caught up in the whole travelling bug thing, especially types of "adventure" such as inter-railing, which isn't that exotic (it's only Europe, for God's sake) and guaranteed to be ruinously expensive (it's Europe, for God's sake)...
Reply 52
My gripe with "volunteering" abroad is your often providing unskilled labour in countries were unskilled labour is worth a few pounds a day.

Unless your teaching English or doing something technical requiring knowledge of say medicine or engineering it's insane.
Reply 53
There's a huge difference to men and women working at separate tasks to ensure they survive together, and women being forced into gender roles. If women are being forced out of an education, and therefore kept dependant on men, then yes, that should be changed, It's a violation of their human rights. As it would be if it was the other way round, or certain races being forced out of schools.

Being "cultural" does not mean discrimination should be ignored. That's utter bull****.

No, I didn't. I said an example of a volunteering campaign might be to try to change the systems in place that are apathetic to rape. I never said that I personally am going to change it. Don't be absurd, and do try to learn how to read.

Since I've answered many questions, you should answer one - why is the respect of another culture worth a free pass at violating basic human rights? If it was within a country's culture to kill women who want to be educated, should that not be challenged?

I don't know why I'm bothering, since you're a feminist-hating sexist, but I'm curious now.

You've confirmed everysingle one of my suspicions. I honestly feel so bad for those people. Stop using hyperbolic scenarios to justify your purported superiority to go there and tell them how to live. It actually speaks volumes that you essentialise their culture to basically raping women. What does that actually say about your character ?

Secondly, stop using the issue of Human Rights . You're superimposing a basis of truth that is without foundation and frankly nonsensical in its contextual environment.

What's really the difference between those girls being expected to do those tasks which by the same measure ensures that their way of life survives? So it's in your opinion that those girls get rid of those social roles to adapt to your ones which will essentially wipe off a native culture that has existed for thousands of years?
(edited 11 years ago)
For the people I know, it appears to be down to a knowledge that their parents will cover their deposit and that their current income can support a lifestyle that includes many trips abroad.

Obviously I understand that I am not using a sufficiently large population sample here.
Reply 55
One part of it is experiencing another culture, language and society than your own.
Secondly it is to have other activities, whether it'd be big city life, skiing or sunbathing and surfing. There are very few places you can have it all. I prefer to live in a big city and to go somewhere on holiday to have sun. I could honestly never understand someone who doesn't crave great weather at least once a year. The parties are much better in the south of France and south if Italy than it is in London or Paris as well.
Finally, I have an international circle of friends. Traveling is simply necessary to meet up with them.

I grew up in Scandinavia and we went abroad about twice a year from I was little. When I was 17 I went to the Uk for school and started going on holiday of my own. I moved to France again at 19 and to London at 21 and I still go abroad several times a year, either to France/NYC/Miami. I would feel locked in a cage if I had to stay the same place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
when your looking back at your life 50 years from now you are more likely to regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did do. traveling not only opens your eyes to other cultures and different kinds of living but also helps you to understand that the world is something to be explored. yolo mentality is just an excuse to do stupid **** but traveling and learning form experiences makes you much wiser and value life.
You've confirmed everysingle one of my suspicions. I honestly feel so bad for those people. Stop using hyperbolic scenarios to justify your purported superiority to go there and tell them how to live. It actually speaks volumes that you essentialise their culture to basically raping women. What does that actually say about your character ?

Secondly, stop using the issue of Human Rights . You're superimposing a basis of truth that is without foundation and frankly nonsensical in its contextual environment.

What's really the difference between those girls being expected to do those tasks which by the same measure ensures that their way of life survives?

I do not essentialise every other culture to rape. Are you crazy? I mentioned it as an example of something people campaign to change, and you latched onto it like a leech on a fleshy thigh. For a start, I have not even specified a country. So I cannot possibly have essentialised a culture to rape, because I haven't mentioned any specific places. Your logic is all over the place.

If a country is allowing discrimination and harm on unethical and unreasonable grounds, then yes, they should be told that that is wrong. Because it is. Morally and ethically, allowing harm is wrong.

So, to sum up:

You've basically ignored my questions completely, because you can't answer them without seeming even more unreasonable, or contradicting yourself.

You seem to think that coming from another culture is an excuse to abuse people.

You think that discrimination should not be challenged in other countries.

You either are too stupid to understand what I'm saying, or are being deliberately obtuse.

Judging by your rep and previous posts, I'm going to say deliberately obtuse.

You will almost certainly say that I'm leaving this conversation because I can't win this argument. I'm actually leaving because you're not making any sense, and I have a practice paper to do for law.

If you really wish to think that remaining apathetic towards the plight of others is acceptable, then good day to you.

Reply 58
x

Answer my question please

"So it's in your opinion that those girls get rid of those social roles to adapt to your ones which will essentially wipe off a native culture that has existed for thousands of years?"
Reply 59
Original post by OL1V3R
I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

Unlike the rest of us, you'll probably realise the benefit of travelling once you're married with children and working a 9 to 5 job, by which time the ship will have sailed!!! Also I'm curious to know if you've travelled much before? If not maybe this is why you don't see the attraction to it? I've never owned a car, and I don't see why anyone would choose a car over some time abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest