The Student Room Group

Are You Saving Sex For Marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Misstery
What an insecure response :wink:
You didn't really address the request anyway.

Bored.

If you can't defend your beliefs don't bother posting them on a forum.
Reply 101
Original post by Tabzqt
If you can't defend your beliefs don't bother posting them on a forum.

Seriously I'm not sure if you're just talking to yourself now.

You're the only one who posted any beliefs.
Original post by Tabzqt

I completely disagree with your viewpoint because I find it extremely illogical to suppress natural urges.

So if someone is really annoying you and you want to punch them, you think you should because it's illogical to suppress natural urges?

If I'm sitting on the bus and I really need to pee I should just go for it? Wouldn't want to illogically suppress one of those natural urges!

Great advice! Thanks!
Reply 103
Original post by Popppppy
So if someone is really annoying you and you want to punch them, you think you should because it's illogical to suppress natural urges?

If I'm sitting on the bus and I really need to pee I should just go for it? Wouldn't want to illogically suppress one of those natural urges!

Great advice! Thanks!

What a dumb argument. Punching someone or pissing on the bus obviously has negative consequences and very little positive consequences. Safe sex with a partner you love and trust has very few possible negative consequences and a whole lot of positives.
Reply 104
Original post by Tabzqt
What a dumb argument. Punching someone or pissing on the bus obviously has negative consequences and very little positive consequences. Safe sex with a partner you love and trust has very few possible negative consequences and a whole lot of positives.

Subjective.

Everything you've said so far is basically "this is good" and "this is stupid" without any justification and you're passing it off as a rational argument. When actually its just your opinion.
Reply 105
Subjective.

Everything you've said so far is basically "this is good" and "this is stupid" without any justification and you're passing it off as a rational argument. When actually its just your opinion.

Not really. I've already explained how some of Poppy's objections are weak. Go up and read that post and tell me where you object with it?
Reply 106
Original post by Tabzqt
Not really. I've already explained how some of Poppy's objections are weak. Go up and read that post and tell me where you object with it?

No Tabzqt41971464. That's not how a claim works. You made the claim. You defend it. You argue it for yourself. So far you've made some weak fallacious appeal to nature, and then some vague references to 'good' and 'bad' consequences, whatever you think those are. I think you yourself know you haven't made much of a case. Now you're apparently claiming some (poor) counter arguments to someone who tried to help you out with this are 'evidence' for your statements. But you still have a chance. Go on. Construct an argument. Otherwise you're just slandering people. Which isn't logical or rational. It's just being a bit of a dick.
Reply 107
No Tabzqt41971464. That's not how a claim works. You made the claim. You defend it. You argue it for yourself. So far you've made some weak fallacious appeal to nature, and then some vague references to 'good' and 'bad' consequences, whatever you think those are. I think you yourself know you haven't made much of a case. Now you're apparently claiming some (poor) counter arguments to someone who tried to help you out with this are 'evidence' for your statements. But you still have a chance. Go on. Construct an argument. Otherwise you're just slandering people. Which isn't logical or rational. It's just being a bit of a dick.

answering this tommorow
nighty night :h:
I'm not saving sex for marriage but I respect those who do.
If a Christian (or any religious) marriage means something to you, I respect your decision to wait, and would never ever think less of someone for abstaining from sex. Whatever the person's reason, religious, psychological or physical wellbeing, be it there orientation or lack of sexual attraction, celibacy, actively deciding to not have sex, or just not engaging in sex, is someone's basic right. And it doesn't need to be questioned or belittled. It is your decision to make and the reason (or lack of reason and sheer gut feeling) is totally valid.

I am, however, an atheist. I have my issues with certain aspects of organised religion, when it is used to take other's rights away. When it is used in arguments, for instance, in countries where homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death (seven countries).

I also personally have questions to ask about the significance of marriage, after all, if you think of how long Christian marriage has existed in terms of the existence of animals which mate, the existence of animals which are capable of 'complex' emotions such as love and commitment, or even how long the modern human has existed, it is a blip.

And, I'm personally a big advocate of safe-sex and no-shame. I think women are sexually abused, sexually repressed, and sexually dictated consistently across the globe. And I love being able to fight back in my own way. So, anyone that tells me or preaches to me that my way of living is wrong (I was told by a Christian the other day they were sad because I would go to hell for having premarital sex) I will stand up for myself against.

I also want to say that some people won't understand your beliefs, but you probably aren't going to be marrying and spending your lives with them anyway, so what does it matter? It's not going to impact your chances of finding that person, the same way I have my beliefs and my moral compass which narrowed down my choices.

(I have only slept with one man and I do actually plan to marry him, and I do believe that I would not have slept with anyone else because I chose to wait until I was in love, however, I would never shame anyone's decision to engage in casual sex.)
Original post by Tabzqt

what are the "positives" of sex? I'm not saying i've saved it until marriage/i don't enjoy it but what would you say are solid positives? I don't mean "it's fun" :tongue:
Reply 111
Original post by Tabzqt
answering this tommorow
nighty night :h:

Kewl. Night.
Reply 112
Out of curiosity, I'm realising that it's going to be near impossible for me to find a boyfriend who is happy with the fact that I'm saving sex for marriage, wondering how alone in the belief I actually am.

inb4 You're so weird for saving sex for marriage etc etc etc... boring, heard it all before.

I don't think it's near impossible. My friend's a strict Christian, as is her boyfriend, and they don't even sleep in the same bed. They're both good looking, ordinary, in love people. They are out there!! Are you religious? Cause she met her bf at a church for young people.

I don't think you're weird for saving sex for marriage, but I disagree that it's the best way to go about things. There are many factors involved in marriage aside from sex. Communication, intimacy, trust, having fun, building a home, etc. We practice all of these throughout our lives, and as a result when it comes to marriage we have a more fulfilling relationship - I think the same should go for sex. Knowing your sexuality and the sexuality of your partner will enrich your relationship once you commit to each other, in my opinion.
Original post by deedee123
what are the "positives" of sex? I'm not saying i've saved it until marriage/i don't enjoy it but what would you say are solid positives? I don't mean "it's fun" :tongue:

There are a lot of positives, just look up oxytocin, dopamine, our hormones and brains react very intensely to sex. Oxytocin is produced which is the 'love hormone' it's the same hormone produced when you give birth and helps to create a maternal bond. It helps humans bond and develop closeness (it's found in all primates). Dopamine is produced during exercise, it's the happy chemical, it's the feel-good chemical which helps you relax. Sex can improve mental and physical health, reduce stress, study after study has shown this. I mean, think in evolutionary terms, it's beneficial to our offspring to enjoy sex, to engage in sex.

Other positives? It's pleasurable, reduce anxiety, it increases your heart-rate and counts as exercise, it can lead to having a baby.
(edited 11 years ago)
Absolutely.
Nope. :sexface:
I imagine, if I meet a person(s) that I regard as special before marriage that I'd have sex with them. If they were special to me, and I trusted them, then I'd like to have fun, experience pleasure, and be intimate with my loved one.
I see no problem with wanting to experience pleasure, explore your anatomy, and have fun, before marriage. That is, if you even get married. I don't know, the prospect of saving it till marriage for me doesn't sound that appealing. Perhaps, because, I know this may sound silly, but I want to feel sexually empowered and confident before marriage and when I have sex.(If I do get married)

But, my views may change.(I'm young and a virgin and maybe I don't know a lot)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by JinxedOut
If a Christian (or any religious) marriage means something to you, I respect your decision to wait, and would never ever think less of someone for abstaining from sex. Whatever the person's reason, religious, psychological or physical wellbeing, be it there orientation or lack of sexual attraction, celibacy, actively deciding to not have sex, or just not engaging in sex, is someone's basic right. And it doesn't need to be questioned or belittled. It is your decision to make and the reason (or lack of reason and sheer gut feeling) is totally valid.

I am, however, an atheist. I have my issues with certain aspects of organised religion, when it is used to take other's rights away. When it is used in arguments, for instance, in countries where homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death (seven countries).

I also personally have questions to ask about the significance of marriage, after all, if you think of how long Christian marriage has existed in terms of the existence of animals which mate, the existence of animals which are capable of 'complex' emotions such as love and commitment, or even how long the modern human has existed, it is a blip.

And, I'm personally a big advocate of safe-sex and no-shame. I think women are sexually abused, sexually repressed, and sexually dictated consistently across the globe. And I love being able to fight back in my own way. So, anyone that tells me or preaches to me that my way of living is wrong (I was told by a Christian the other day they were sad because I would go to hell for having premarital sex) I will stand up for myself against.

I also want to say that some people won't understand your beliefs, but you probably aren't going to be marrying and spending your lives with them anyway, so what does it matter? It's not going to impact your chances of finding that person, the same way I have my beliefs and my moral compass which narrowed down my choices.

(I have only slept with one man and I do actually plan to marry him, and I do believe that I would not have slept with anyone else because I chose to wait until I was in love, however, I would never shame anyone's decision to engage in casual sex.)

The life you lead is wrong lol
Nope!
Reply 119
Out of curiosity, I'm realising that it's going to be near impossible for me to find a boyfriend who is happy with the fact that I'm saving sex for marriage, wondering how alone in the belief I actually am.

inb4 You're so weird for saving sex for marriage etc etc etc... boring, heard it all before.

95 responses and counting! Hope it's restored your confidence :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending