The Student Room Group

Why are people obsessed with travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's a 'cool' thing to do, and some (not all) people who go travelling just cannot shut up about it. If it doesn't appeal to you that doesn't matter. I've seen a reasonable amount of the world and enjoyed doing so, but I'm also happy at home with my hobbies (plus I'm not a good tourist, I need to have something to do). If I had a couple of weeks and a couple of grand to spare I wouldn't be spending it on a holiday, I'd probably spend it on doing up a car or something similar. It's not that I'm overly materialistic, it's just I'd rather spend time doing things than seeing things. If you're the same it's no bad thing.
Well, the world is such a beautiful place and it would be a shame not to see as much of it as you can!

But mostly I just love meeting people from different cultures and experiencing other ways of life to mine :biggrin:
Original post by 2ndClass
They're trying to be cool and edgey for the most part. I can bet that 90% could care less about the native culture and if they did, they'll probably want to change it to mirror theirs. Que feminists/atheists.

Couldn't care less what anyone thinks. That's why I don't plaster the pics all over Facebook. Its for me, my memories and for the people I'd like tell.
I love travelling, I'd rather stay in some cockroach infested dump than an all inclusive 5* and not meet any locals, get out in the real country, or eat any authentic local food. Give me deli belly any day over Mcdonalds/KFC/Nandos. And again why I'll read up on the country, ask people what to do/see. Not just hit the shopping mall/water park.
Most of my favorite memories have come from getting lost and ending up somewhere totally random with barely any english-speakers about :smile:
It's probably to explore different aspects of the world, if you want to stay in one place fine but that has never appealed to me.
Reply 64
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I don't mind! I'm still trying to hunt down a travel buddy since I lost mine :biggrin: Typical.

I'm using Original Volunteers. Their expeditions are pretty cheap, but you have to arrange your own flights. But that's what fundraising is for!

You can volunteer for as long as you like at any time of the year. So it's really flexible.

I should be going in the summer. But God knows if I will. I don't fancy going alone, so it might depend on whether or not I can convince someone along.

Why should other people give you money to pay for your flights? People asking money for their gap yahs is the equivalent of saying 'Donate £10, £3 will go to charity, £2 will go through a middle man and the other £5 will go on my expenses. ' I don't see why people should pay for your holiday; you could get a job and work for it.
Original post by poiuy
Why should other people give you money to pay for your flights? People asking money for their gap yahs is the equivalent of saying 'Donate £10, £3 will go to charity, £2 will go through a middle man and the other £5 will go on my expenses. ' I don't see why people should pay for your holiday; you could get a job and work for it.

You've taken it completely the wrong way. I'm not just asking people for money, and it isn't a gap year. I'm paying for the vast majority of it myself, and I'm doing sponsored events such as half marathons, abseils and zip wires for it.

I love it when people say "you could get a job". It's so damn cute. Almost like there isn't an economic problem right now.
Reply 66
Ignoring my question, as I thought so.
Reply 67
You've taken it completely the wrong way. I'm not just asking people for money, and it isn't a gap year. I'm paying for the vast majority of it myself, and I'm doing sponsored events such as half marathons, abseils and zip wires for it.

I love it when people say "you could get a job". It's so damn cute. Almost like there isn't an economic problem right now.

What unique skill do you have which makes YOU so essential that its worth flying half way round the world instead of hiring someone local?
Original post by mucgoo
What unique skill do you have which makes YOU so essential that its worth flying half way round the world instead of hiring someone local?

You do realise that teaching someone English is virtually impossible to do... Through locals that don't speak English well enough to speak it.

Besides, it's a lot more worthwhile to volunteer than it is to spend even more money and just go on holiday.
For some of us it's like a physical urge; quite literally it feels like something tugging at my insides when I hear a plane go over, or I walk past the Eurostar at St Pancras International, or I read travel writing, or even if I look inside any guidebook and look at one of the pictures. I constantly feel the urge to move, to go somewhere new, or to go somewhere again that I've been to before and loved, it doesn't really matter. I relish every journey I take, whether it's an 8-hour Megabus trip within the UK or a 22-hour train journey in India in the cheapest possible class, because it's still travel, a journey, and therefore exciting. I love long journeys in general, where it's in a car, coach, train, plane, bike or even on foot.
Reply 70

Yes, but the idea of a job is so that you can earn money so you can pay for luxuries. If you don't have a job you can't pay for luxuries.

I would have respect for you if you were running half marathons for charities such as the British heart foundation where most of the money doesn't go on travel expenses,, admin and luxuries and most goes directly to charity. Middle class kids calling pay for my flights isn't a charity.
Reply 71
Original post by OL1V3R
I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

So why is travelling so popular?

+ rep :smile:

I couldn't agree more. I think people only travel for business, to make their facebook walls more interesting or to have something to tweet about. I could quite happily spend the rest of my life in the UK.

Ignore the neggers. Haters gonna hate.
Reply 72
I'm doing sponsored events such as half marathons, abseils and zip wires for it.

You're doing stuff that you enjoy to get people to give you money to do something you enjoy. People would be better off giving that money to charity.

HAs it ever occured to you that when you come over there doing work for free you're putting a local person out of work?
Original post by poiuy
Yes, but the idea of a job is so that you can earn money so you can pay for luxuries. If you don't have a job you can't pay for luxuries.

I would have respect for you if you were running half marathons for charities such as the British heart foundation where most of the money doesn't go on travel expenses,, admin and luxuries and most goes directly to charity. Middle class kids calling pay for my flights isn't a charity.

Look at how naive you are! I'm not middle class, and I don't know why someone would assume I am. I live in such a deprived area, I'm getting lower grade requirements for my uni. The organisation I'd be giving the money to is in fact a charity.

I do charity work every week with Girl Guiding, I raise money for my autistic brother's school, and I'm currently trying to campaign with the Attorney General. I do an awful lot for charity (without being middle class! Says something about you that you assumed that :wink:), and this, again, is charity work.

The money I can bring over saves lives. That's pretty worthy.

Also, again - there are no jobs. Or do you not see the news?
Reply 74
I want to travel to experience other cultures, a different way of life and do things I haven't done before
Original post by Arnob204
You're doing stuff that you enjoy to get people to give you money to do something you enjoy. People would be better off giving that money to charity.

HAs it ever occured to you that when you come over there doing work for free you're putting a local person out of work?

Not when I'm doing something that a local person cannot effectively do. For example, teaching English. How is someone who cannot speak English fluently supposed to teach it? Hmm?
Reply 76
Not when I'm doing something that a local person cannot effectively do. For example, teaching English. How is someone who cannot speak English fluently supposed to teach it? Hmm?

I noticed you ignored the first thing I wrote. They could bus in someone from the local town or city to do it. They don't need to put an British girl on a plane and fly them across the globe to shout English words at them until a few of the locals start parroting it back.
I noticed you ignored the first thing I wrote. They could bus in someone from the local town or city to do it. They don't need to put an British girl on a plane and fly them across the globe to shout English words at them until a few of the locals start parroting it back.

Why don't you go and become less ignorant on the subject before you start preaching? You clearly don't know anything about volunteering, or the process. Seriously, you can't condemn a practise unless you actually know what you're condemning.

Good night.

Often in countries where English is not the first language / has to be taught later in life rather than picked up naturally as a child, there are plenty of teachers able to teach the grammatical rules of English but who are not versed in the pronunciation, which is a pretty major element of speaking a language. That's often where British kiddos come in genuinely useful.
I qualify as a teacher of English as a foreign language to adults tomorrow so I think I will weigh in here on the subject of teaching English. I'm collecting a lot of job adverts at the moment to respond to and nearly every one specifically asks for a native speaker from the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland or Australia... some say that teachers from countries within the EU (other than the UK and Ireland) are OK so long as their English is good enough, though.

I'm not sure if you should be volunteering to teach English if you haven't got a teaching qualification, though. Places may say it's OK to come and volunteer if you haven't got one, but really, after doing my teaching course I can see how valuable it is to have knowledge of effective teaching techniques. Surely it isn't benefiting the learners if their teacher is teaching without the knowledge of how to teach, or if he or she is acting how they imagine a teacher should be like.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest