The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Student life at lse??

Scroll to see replies

If you stay in halls, many people stick to themselves, I've never met some people in rooms around me, the actual uni is essentially a couple of buildings dotted in central London, there are very few hangout areas, completely career-orientated, you're flooded by invites to conferences, debates, and networking with dozens of banks and financial firms even if you aren't interested, about 80%> of societies are about some aspect of finance, economics, or a countries society, hardly any regular fun societies other uni's have, main student "hotspot" is the library, only vaguely normal things about a university are the RAG (charity) society who organise fun things, and the Athletics Union (join these if you end up here). (I'm not denying its a very good uni academically with seriously good job prospects btw, just not the social life you'd get at other uni's).

EDIT: Though this may sound pessimistic, I'm only posting this in here because I would have appreciated it a hell of a lot when I was in your positions. Don't let this be the basis of your decision though, you can't deny that the job prospects are seriously good if you want to go into finance, the economics department is very strong, and ultimately it's based in London, so if you don't find the LSE experience to be all that, you have the whole of London on your doorstep, there are enormous amounts of things to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by marcus2001
If you stay in halls, many people stick to themselves, I've never met some people in rooms around me, the actual uni is essentially a couple of buildings dotted in central London, there are very few hangout areas, completely career-orientated, you're flooded by invites to conferences, debates, and networking with dozens of banks and financial firms even if you aren't interested, about 80%> of societies are about some aspect of finance, economics, or a countries society, hardly any regular fun societies other uni's have, main student "hotspot" is the library, only vaguely normal things about a university are the RAG (charity) society who organise fun things, and the Athletics Union (join these if you end up here). (I'm not denying its a very good uni academically with seriously good job prospects btw, just not the social life you'd get at other uni's).

That's seriously concerning, but I guess there's going to be a tradeoff involved between social life and academics at some level everywhere :frown:.
Thanks for taking the time out for posting this though.
Had a quick question for you. Is the LSE gym any good? My friend who graduated from there a while back claims its the worst gym he's ever seen (tiny, overcrowded etc), is that still the case? (If so, are LSE students allowed to get a membership at the uni of london gym or something?).
Original post by abhiksetia
That's seriously concerning, but I guess there's going to be a tradeoff involved between social life and academics at some level everywhere :frown:.
Thanks for taking the time out for posting this though.
Had a quick question for you. Is the LSE gym any good? My friend who graduated from there a while back claims its the worst gym he's ever seen (tiny, overcrowded etc), is that still the case? (If so, are LSE students allowed to get a membership at the uni of london gym or something?).

No worries, made that post couple of months ago, just thought I'd post it in here as it's relevant. And it's not bad, serves it's purpose, it's small but they cap the membership so it never get's toooo crowded, it's also really cheap and you get discounts if you're part of an AU team. And yeah course you can get a membership at UoL gyms, you usually get discounts with gyms near your halls too.
Original post by JOR2010
I'm Italian too! But I've lived in England for a long time now, so I'm more English now! What are you studying?

I am an undergrad in Sociology, and will be studying International Relations at LSE! What about you? Where in Italy are you from originally? :smile:
Reply 24
Okay I’ll just jump in here to offer an alternative perspective about LSE, because there are probably a few confused applicants out there who could benefit. And because I’m slightly drunk and have an essay due in for tomorrow. LSE is a different kind of university; its campus is small and its student body is diverse. For some this can be problematic and people on TSR are emphatically obsessed with the question of ‘social life’ but my experience here has been almost totally positive. I figure that for certain types of people, it just clicks.

LSE students put on a candle-lit gig in an old church in Kings Cross before heading out to an after-party in Dalston. I was watching a vice documentary about Pakistan and a mate nonchalantly mentioned that he lived a few streets away from where it was filmed. I’m going on a LSE student run trip to North Korea in a few days’ time. A course friend popped up in last week’s glossy magazines for pulling a certain celeb (can’t say any more). I’m spending most of my summer couch surfing at friends’ houses around Europe. I and around 80 other students were put in a room with John McCain for an hour. No one cares about background here. These are just a few things that spring to mind, and I have reason to believe that these sorts of experiences are atypical when compared to other unis. This is not me trying to show off it’s just that some people post negative anecdotes, so I figure I should post some positive ones.

You are not entirely depraved of #unay life if that’s your thing you can go to Zoo Bar with the AU every Wednesday, go for team dinners, make the most of London nightlife, play Fifa in the CR, go on tour/ski trip & grab a pint in the Tuns, but the people, the atmosphere and the work load are all indicative of so so much more (although the lad/lass stuff is of course fun and LSE isn’t at all devoid of people interested in this).

Will I have a good time here? Sociallifesociallifesociallifesociallife? I can’t answer your question. I’m in second year. Exams are on the horizon. The weather is still gloomy. The careers stuff is there if you want it, but shouldn’t bother you if you don’t. But, what’s there not to be positive about?

For more on the LSE zeitgeist, see: http://www.issuu.com/readbeaveronline/docs/791
Reply 25
Original post by worldtreader
I am an undergrad in Sociology, and will be studying International Relations at LSE! What about you? Where in Italy are you from originally? :smile:

I'll be studying Economics! I was born in Bologna, where in Italy are you from?
Reply 26
Original post by iommi
You're the first person to get my username, awesome! I hope they do do a tour, just not one with ticket prices like the Rolling Stones'...
I've got an offer for sociology, what have you applied for? I don't think I've come across anyone with another sociology offer from LSE yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's hope so! I was gutted I missed out on their 2012 O2 Academy gig in Birmingham. Did you ever see Sabbath with Dio?

Sounds good, my offer is for Economics! I'm not sure I've come across anybody either..!
Reply 27
I've never seen Sabbath live, would love to though. Going a bit (more) off topic, I'm naively hoping they'll be announced for glasto (could coincide with their new album)... But chances of that happening are miniscule unfortunately!
Well done! That seems like a really hard course to get into, congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by iommi
You're the first person to get my username, awesome! I hope they do do a tour, just not one with ticket prices like the Rolling Stones'...
I've got an offer for sociology, what have you applied for? I don't think I've come across anyone with another sociology offer from LSE yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had an offer for sociology too!
Reply 29
Ive got an offer for Sociology as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by JamesAds
Okay I’ll just jump in here to offer an alternative perspective about LSE, because there are probably a few confused applicants out there who could benefit. And because I’m slightly drunk and have an essay due in for tomorrow. LSE is a different kind of university; its campus is small and its student body is diverse. For some this can be problematic and people on TSR are emphatically obsessed with the question of ‘social life’ but my experience here has been almost totally positive. I figure that for certain types of people, it just clicks.

LSE students put on a candle-lit gig in an old church in Kings Cross before heading out to an after-party in Dalston. I was watching a vice documentary about Pakistan and a mate nonchalantly mentioned that he lived a few streets away from where it was filmed. I’m going on a LSE student run trip to North Korea in a few days’ time. A course friend popped up in last week’s glossy magazines for pulling a certain celeb (can’t say any more). I’m spending most of my summer couch surfing at friends’ houses around Europe. I and around 80 other students were put in a room with John McCain for an hour. No one cares about background here. These are just a few things that spring to mind, and I have reason to believe that these sorts of experiences are atypical when compared to other unis. This is not me trying to show off it’s just that some people post negative anecdotes, so I figure I should post some positive ones.

You are not entirely depraved of #unay life if that’s your thing you can go to Zoo Bar with the AU every Wednesday, go for team dinners, make the most of London nightlife, play Fifa in the CR, go on tour/ski trip & grab a pint in the Tuns, but the people, the atmosphere and the work load are all indicative of so so much more (although the lad/lass stuff is of course fun and LSE isn’t at all devoid of people interested in this).

Will I have a good time here? Sociallifesociallifesociallifesociallife? I can’t answer your question. I’m in second year. Exams are on the horizon. The weather is still gloomy. The careers stuff is there if you want it, but shouldn’t bother you if you don’t. But, what’s there not to be positive about?

For more on the LSE zeitgeist, see: http://www.issuu.com/readbeaveronline/docs/791

Thanks! That really helps lol which hall are you at? I applied to roseberry Carr Saunders and passfield yesterday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesAds

Thank you so much. Hope I get to know you. :smile:

Original post by JOR2010
I'll be studying Economics! I was born in Bologna, where in Italy are you from?

I'm from Rome, born and raised. :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Racheel94
I've had an offer for sociology too!

Original post by sabaB
Ive got an offer for Sociology as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool! Well done on offers everyone, perhaps see you in september if all goes well!
Reply 33
Original post by iommi
I've never seen Sabbath live, would love to though. Going a bit (more) off topic, I'm naively hoping they'll be announced for glasto (could coincide with their new album)... But chances of that happening are miniscule unfortunately!
Well done! That seems like a really hard course to get into, congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, unlucky! I saw them in 2009 when they were touring with Dio, it's such a shame he's gone, they were so damned good. Ozzy's just not the same..! Let's see!
Thanks, I got my offer in December?!
Reply 34
Original post by cazzlamb
Hey, so I've got offers to both LSE and Kings at the moment and am really unsure as to which one to choose! Social stuff is massively important to me, it keeps me sane. Can anyone help me out on what might be the best choice!?

I'm a fresher at LSE and the social side entirely depends on how involved you are. Joining the AU is a good shout - Zoo bar on Wednesdays is mental. Also, if you're in a good hall it really helps: Rosebery, Passfield, Saunders are the best ones. Where have you applied for accommodation?

p.s. don't firm Kings.
Reply 35
Original post by Ruby1109
I'm a fresher at LSE and the social side entirely depends on how involved you are. Joining the AU is a good shout - Zoo bar on Wednesdays is mental. Also, if you're in a good hall it really helps: Rosebery, Passfield, Saunders are the best ones. Where have you applied for accommodation?

p.s. don't firm Kings.

Which hall are you in? And what subject do you do? Woo you ve just mentioned three of my top choices for accommodation!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Ready4uni
Which hall are you in? And what subject do you do? Woo you ve just mentioned three of my top choices for accommodation!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at Rosebery and its so good. Such a laugh. I do international history! What you applied for?
Reply 37
Original post by Ruby1109
I'm at Rosebery and its so good. Such a laugh. I do international history! What you applied for?

Both my friend and I have put Rosebery as top choice! Oh cool! I'll be studying law :smile:
Original post by Ready4uni
Both my friend and I have put Rosebery as top choice! Oh cool! I'll be studying law :smile:

Ah that's fantastic :smile:

Have you guys received accommodation offers yet?

If so check out our facebook page which has lots of information on it :smile:

Search ' LSE Rosebery Hall 2013-2014 Official page' on facebook :smile:

Good luck! x
Reply 39
Thanks! But not yet, I think we should hear by 8th of April though. Will check them out!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending