The Student Room Group

What should I do for GCSE?

Hey guys I'm new here and I wanted to ask, what should I do? Well I do have two option that I wanted to do which are History and French/Urdu but what I really wanted to do was Triple Science, I hope one day of becoming a doctor and I've been doing my research and it turns out that I'm going to be needing Triple Science and good Maths grades

However for Science they only offer Triple to Set 1 or Highly smart kids in Set 2, I keep getting C grades.

For Maths I'm Set 5 and really been slacking getting E grades, and now that my GCSE have been coming up I'm very confused on what to do about the Science situation. Will I be able to get Triple Science if I apply for it, seems unlikely.
I tried to think of Alternative jobs I could do, but I can't really think of any, the only job I want to do is something in Health Care. Will two science from Double Help or should I pick triple?

I understand Maths is important and I need to start studying NOW, if I'm at hope next year I hope I'm in Set 3 so I can do higher paper, however I'm slacking and I realize the more I am uncocerned the more worse it will be for me in the future, which is why I've joined here.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

if you're getting those grades in maths and science before GCSE level it won't matter if you have double or triple science, because those grades will not get you good enough a level results to go to uni for medicine. do you realise how competitive it is?! my friend was predicted A*A*A and only got into one of her choices. i'd have a rethink if i was you.. (harsh but true)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by melissabishopx
if you're getting those grades in maths and science before GCSE level it won't matter if you have double or triple science, because those grades will not get you good enough a level results to go to uni for medicine. do you realise how competitive it is?! my friend was predicted A*A*A and only got into one of her choices. i'd have a rethink if i was you.. (harsh but true)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand completely thanks for the honest reply.
Reply 3
I'm going to see other options to, but it be ideal for me to become a Doc, I even did a personality test got ESFJ, it said that people with those personalitys should work in health care
Reply 4
Urdu? Seriously.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBigJosh
Urdu? Seriously.

Unfortuantley, I know I should pick my options for GCSE but my dad has asked me to do this as I have no idea how to speak in my native tongue
Reply 6
A GCSE is not going to help for native fluency, just will teach you stupid words like banana and basketball. Seriously, avoid bizarre choices like that, unless you are a dedicated linguist. I did Mandarin GCSE, and now do it at uni...
Original post by DA4
Unfortuantley, I know I should pick my options for GCSE but my dad has asked me to do this as I have no idea how to speak in my native tongue
Reply 7
You can do medicine with double science GCSE. You need really good grades, though, so you need to work very hard at whatever you choose. If you're struggling, double science would probably be more doable.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
You can do medicine with double science GCSE. You need really good grades, though, so you need to work very hard at whatever you choose. If you're struggling, double science would probably be more doable.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Thanks, I better start pulling my socks up if I'm to achieve medical job, can I just ask which science should I chose? Chemistry and Biology?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheBigJosh
A GCSE is not going to help for native fluency, just will teach you stupid words like banana and basketball. Seriously, avoid bizarre choices like that, unless you are a dedicated linguist. I did Mandarin GCSE, and now do it at uni...

Thanks fair enough!
Reply 10
Original post by DA4
Thanks, I better start pulling my socks up if I'm to achieve medical job, can I just ask which science should I chose? Chemistry and Biology?

Double is a mix of all 3, but only worth 2 GCSEs.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 11
I'm keeping my option open guys, I must say I'm have a keen interest in humanities, subjects like Politics (they don't teach it each my school), History, Sociology, R.E all interest me but I have don't really want to do a job in those fields, however I am still young and should keep me options open, any help?
Reply 12
I'm hoping for some more replys, I only have till Thursday to submit my form, need Advice quick!!
Original post by DA4

Pick a language that you are good at. I picked a language that I thought I liked the best, but wasn't very good at, now I'm in Year 11 I realise that I should have picked a different language because it would be infinitely easier for me now.

Also for Medicine, you need very good grades - mostly A*/A's at GCSE and A-Level. So I think you need to improve your Maths and Science. Even though you may find Maths hard, I assure you that GCSE Maths isn't really that hard. I was really behind in Maths before starting GCSEs, but I've rapidly improved once I started working and learning everything(even the basics) from scratch.
Original post by DA4
I'm hoping for some more replys, I only have till Thursday to submit my form, need Advice quick!!

Try not to think too much about future careers - that is more of an issue when picking A-Levels and applying to university. Although really do try to have the essentials - Maths, English and Science (Preferably Triple Science, although if you have no choice double science would do, I think).
Reply 15
Original post by ThatPerson
Try not to think too much about future careers - that is more of an issue when picking A-Levels and applying to university. Although really do try to have the essentials - Maths, English and Science (Preferably Triple Science, although if you have no choice double science would do, I think).

I can't do triple as I'm not as good in Set 2 only achieving C grades, and in Maths (Set 5) I've been achieving E's and D's and I'm almost in to the foundation sets. I understand that it is really unrealistic to become a doctor if I look at my grades now specially at Maths and looking at Set 1, 2 and 3 stuff seems complicated to me, hence the reason why I'm looking for Alternative , so I'm looking for alternatives such as I.T, or something in Humanities of Socially such as Social Work however Doctor would be my first choice, I have always wanted to be one since I have been young, however I have to be realistic and look at my grades, so trying to find an alternative it what I'm looking for
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DA4
I can't do triple as I'm not as good in Set 2 only achieving C grades, and in Maths (Set 5) I've been achieving E's and D's and I'm almost in to the foundation sets. I understand that it is really unrealistic to become a doctor if I look at my grades now, so I'm looking for alternatives, however I've always wanted to be a Dr.

You have 2 years to improve. That is plenty of time. If you do well in Year 10, is is possible for you to move up to Triple?

In any case, just work on improving your grade. Especially maths. Go over everything, even the basics, like short/long division and basic algebra manipulation.

Focus on getting the best GCSE results possible, and then your dream of Medicine is still viable.
Original post by DA4
Hey guys I'm new here and I wanted to ask, what should I do? Well I do have two option that I wanted to do which are History and French/Urdu but what I really wanted to do was Triple Science, I hope one day of becoming a doctor and I've been doing my research and it turns out that I'm going to be needing Triple Science and good Maths grades

However for Science they only offer Triple to Set 1 or Highly smart kids in Set 2, I keep getting C grades.

For Maths I'm Set 5 and really been slacking getting E grades, and now that my GCSE have been coming up I'm very confused on what to do about the Science situation. Will I be able to get Triple Science if I apply for it, seems unlikely.
I tried to think of Alternative jobs I could do, but I can't really think of any, the only job I want to do is something in Health Care. Will two science from Double Help or should I pick triple?

I understand Maths is important and I need to start studying NOW, if I'm at hope next year I hope I'm in Set 3 so I can do higher paper, however I'm slacking and I realize the more I am uncocerned the more worse it will be for me in the future, which is why I've joined here.

I'm doing triple science and additional maths and to be honest it is not as scary as it sounds.

Depending where you're from in the UK the curriculum can vary slightly. I would undersand that the standard of education here in Northern Ireland is probably something similar to England.

So far it has been no bother but you get quite a bit of maths homework and you have to be quite quick and rarely take days off school because if you take even two days off you can miss so much work and most people are often two or three topics behind.

On the upside the work you do in physics is almost identical to the work in mechanics in add maths. There are lots of people who do triple science and add maths and like myself have had no bother.

Before considering history take into consideration that it can be a bit hard and there is quite a lot of essays (so I've heard). Most people in our year who do history got C's, D's, F's and about 5 people got G's because of the workload.

In all of my science classes many things are the same as what we did in junior high, the only difference being that it is explained in more detail and for A-Level it is explained in even higher detail again. If you're not great at maths I really wouldn't reccomend it but if you're confident enough you should at least give it a try and if it is not what you expected you can probably change your subject as many people have done in my year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sheldorbaggins
I'm doing triple science and additional maths and to be honest it is not as scary as it sounds.

Depending where you're from in the UK the curriculum can vary slightly. I would undersand that the standard of education here in Northern Ireland is probably something similar.

So far it has been no bother but you get quite a bit of maths homework and you have to be quite quick and rarely take days off school because if you take even two days off you can miss so much work and most people are often two or three topics behind.

On the upside the work you do in physics is almost identical to the work in mechanics in add maths. There are lots of people who do triple science and add maths and like myself have had no bother.

Before considering history take into consideration that it can be a bit hard and there is quite a lot of essays (so I've heard). Most people in our year who do history got C's, D's, F's and about 5 people got G's because of the workload.

In all of my science classes many things are the same as what we did in junior high, the only difference being that it is explained in more detail and for A-Level it is explained in even higher detail again. If you're not great at maths I really wouldn't reccomend it but if you're confident enough you should at least give it a try and if it is not what you expected you can probably change your subject as many people have done in my year.

Change the subject at GCSE? I could understand dropping Maths at A-Level, but at GCSE it is a requirement for most higher education courses.

Or did I misread?
Reply 19
Original post by sheldorbaggins

Depending where you're from in the UK the curriculum can vary slightly. I would undersand that the standard of education here in Northern Ireland is probably something similar.

Geography and Religious Studies could also be an option for me, however I don't like Geography. Seems really unrealistic for me considering my progress. I don't even think I should be in Set 2 for Science, I don't work hard enough, I'm going to try and change my mentality towards Maths though as I find it really boring, but it's for the best for the future. I don't think we get Additional maths, we get something called Statistics here if your in Set 3 and above.

Quick Reply

Latest