The Student Room Group

Argentine invasion against British 'terrorists' online game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-21948000

As the source describes, the popular Counter Strike game has been manipulated to construe the British as being 'terrorists' and the Falklands requiring 'liberation' by an Argentine taskforce.

In their attempt to try and mask the clear intent to be provocative they have claimed that the gameplay was created to honour the fallen Argentines of 1982 despite them, as the rest of the world except themselves seemingly understands, being the aggressors.

The stench of desperation and the piercing noice of the tantrum being thrown with this latest 'statement' are both making me severely queasy. Maybe because this game is bringing the potential of military action to the minds of the Argentine public in a manner that may lead them to believe that it is the best and only course of action.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The whole falklands debate is just Kirchner trying to cover up the fact their economy is buggered by distracting the people with this. I highly doubt it will go to war this time and even if it does after the referendum we have hopme and away the stronger legal position.
It's just a custom map for Counter Strike, which anyone can make. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one where Nazis had to save people from Jews or something as stupid, but I won't be opposed to it because it's just a game.

I'm interested to see who they think the hostages are, if it's a hostage map, because as far as I'm aware, there are no Falklanders who aren't British/opposed to the Falklands being an overseas territory. Who exactly does Argentina think they're saving from the tyranny of Britain?

That said, this is offensive to those who died liberating the island from the tyranny of Argentina.
Reply 3
Original post by Mockery
The stench of desperation and the piercing noice of the tantrum being thrown with this latest 'statement' are both making me severely queasy. Maybe because this game is bringing the potential of military action to the minds of the Argentine public in a manner that may lead them to believe that it is the best and only course of action.

Oh come on, you're not being serious, are you?? It's a game. The Argentine military is not even close to being able to invade the Falklands again, and btw - most Argentinians don't remember the past military encounter fondly.
Reply 4
Come on Argentina. They should send Messi there. He will run rings around the British troops as if they were Ramos and Pepe or maybe Varane hell even Raul Albiol and then finish all the commanders off the way he lobs Cassillas or that Diego Lopez. Daily bizarre quote from a seasoned troller lay off the negs haters. Thank you
Reply 5
Map looks like it was made by a 12 year old.
Reply 6
This is quite a non-story. There are plenty of Cod maps where you're fighting 'terrorists' in the Middle-East.
Reply 7
Original post by Snagprophet
It's just a custom map for Counter Strike, which anyone can make. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one where Nazis had to save people from Jews or something as stupid, but I won't be opposed to it because it's just a game.

I'm interested to see who they think the hostages are, if it's a hostage map, because as far as I'm aware, there are no Falklanders who aren't British/opposed to the Falklands being an overseas territory. Who exactly does Argentina think they're saving from the tyranny of Britain?

That said, this is offensive to those who died liberating the island from the tyranny of Argentina.

Oil. They're saving oil from the tyranny of the UK. Just like the allies liberated all that oil from the oppression Saddam Hussein and the Libyan people rose up liberating their own oil.

Oil makes the world go round!

EDIT: Apparently the sarcasm hasn't been picked up on so I'll put it in plain, boring English. Argentina want the tax revenues from any oil discoveries in the Falkland basin- that is the reason they are willing to ignore the democratic expression of the Falkland Islanders. The island will remain under the control of the UK, Argentina's demand that they are handed back is just an opening position from which they probably hope to negotiate a share of any oil revenue.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-27/falkland-oil-claimed-by-argentina-sees-islanders-join-1-energy.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Well as far as I can see, all this company did was create a map. The teams of terrorists versus counter-terrorists were already in the game, and you can choose who to play as. I don't understand why the terrorists are described in the article as 'British'.
Reply 9
Original post by miser
Well as far as I can see, all this company did was create a map. The teams of terrorists versus counter-terrorists were already in the game, and you can choose who to play as. I don't understand why the terrorists are described in the article as 'British'.

Think about it.
Original post by miser

I guess there was emphasis to put the British as the terrorists though, which are meant to be the bad guys. It's like reskinning any Nazi shooting game with Britons and have the map as the Falklands.
Reply 11
Original post by Zuzuzu
Think about it.

Because they're the occupants of the island? That isn't suggested in the game. Unless they have additional mods in there then the location is largely irrelevant - there are a finite number of set, unchanging scenarios (e.g., bomb disposal, hostage rescue, etc.).
Reply 12
I guess there was emphasis to put the British as the terrorists though, which are meant to be the bad guys. It's like reskinning any Nazi shooting game with Britons and have the map as the Falklands.

I don't understand this emphasis. Is it suggested in the game that the terrorists are British?

The terrorists in the game are of five varieties:

Phoenix Connexion

Elite Crew

Arctic Avengers

Guerilla Warfare

Midwest Militia

None of these are British.
Original post by miser
I don't understand this emphasis. Is it suggested in the game that the terrorists are British?

- We are in the midst of a new revival of the Falklands dispute.
- The Argentinians see the British as colonists, whilst we see the islands as having always been ours.
- An Argentinian company create a map for a game so that players can invade the Falklands, and remove unnamed 'terrorists'.
- They show no British flags, supposedly 'in respect for the dead', most of whom were Argentinian conscripts.

How could this possibly be construed as innocent, unless the company directors have been living under a hedge for thirty years?
Reply 14
Original post by Octohedral
- We are in the midst of a new revival of the Falklands dispute.
- The Argentinians see the British as colonists, whilst we see the islands as having always been ours.
- An Argentinian company create a map for a game so that players can invade the Falklands, and remove unnamed 'terrorists'.
- They show no British flags, supposedly 'in respect for the dead', most of whom were Argentinian conscripts.

How could this possibly be construed as innocent, unless the company directors have been living under a hedge for thirty years?

And if the same map was created by a British company? The company would be considered to be supporters of an Argentinian claim to the islands? I don't see how - and if not, then it's nothing to do with the map but just a circumstantial fact that the company is Argentinian.
Original post by miser

The terrorists in the game are of five varieties:

Phoenix Connexion

Elite Crew

Arctic Avengers

Guerilla Warfare

Midwest Militia

None of these are British.

No, they reskinned terrorists as British soldiers. No-one is saying Valve made any British terrorists, or whoever made CS.
Reply 16
No, they reskinned terrorists as British soldiers. No-one is saying Valve made any British terrorists, or whoever made CS.

Ah, if they did that then that answers my questions. Thanks.
Original post by miser
And if the same map was created by a British company? The company would be considered to be supporters of an Argentinian claim to the islands? I don't see how - and if not, then it's nothing to do with the map but just a circumstantial fact that the company is Argentinian.

Of course they would be considered to be supporters of an Argentinian claim to the islands, for exactly the same reasons, but it would be a very weird thing to do.

It's entirely about the timing. If a company did this with some undisputed teritory nobody would insinuate anything - even three years ago people probably wouldn't have noticed - but it's very well publicised that Argentinia are currently claiming the islands, and making a huge political fuss. If the company really wasn't politically motivated then they don't have the best judgement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Octohedral
Of course they would be considered to be supporters of an Argentinian claim to the islands, for exactly the same reasons, but it would be a very weird thing to do.

It's entirely about the timing. If a company did this with some undisputed teritory nobody would insinuate anything - even three years ago people probably wouldn't have noticed - but it's very well publicised that Argentinia are currently claiming the islands, and making a huge political fuss. If the company really wasn't politically motivated then they are idiots.

But why specifically would people assume a company would be siding with the Argentinians? That's the part I don't understand. It would just be counter-terroists versus terrorists, same as always. There would be nothing to indicate a preference for who ought to control the islands. The only thing that might be able to swing it is you mentioned in your previous post about the player getting to 'invade', but that's not the case at all really. Both teams spawn on the map and have to plant/defuse a bomb, or guard/release hostages.

(That is, in the absence of terrorists skinned to look like British soldiers, which snagprophet just informed me of, though I haven't seen pictures of these.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rcummins1
This is quite a non-story. There are plenty of Cod maps where you're fighting 'terrorists' in the Middle-East.

they are the terrorists though? how can you compare the fact falklands is part of britain, and britain defends an attack on falklands to something like al quaeda who use mentally handicapped women to blow themselves up to kill civilians?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending