The Student Room Group

Crown capital earth management fraud warriors time to wake up

Climate Science Obstructionism

The office of Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., has issued the following news release:

Mr. WHITEHOUSE. Madam President, I rise today, as I have at least two dozen times in the past year, to say again that it is time for us to wake up to the stark reality of the climate changes carbon pollution is causing.

Elected officials bear a responsibility every once in a while to escape the grip of the polluting special interests and to act in the interests of regular Americans. We need to wake up and start talking about the negative consequences, the harms of climate change. We need to wake up and mitigate--take steps to protect ourselves--and adapt to the consequences that are already hitting our coasts and our forests, our cities and our farms, our economy and our way of life.

But, of course, the climate deniers and the polluters do not want that. The deniers want to prevent discussion of climate change altogether. In the past few years, in this body, climate science has become a taboo topic.

I watched, when my back was out in the last few days, one of the Harry Potter movies on television. Lord Voldemort was called "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" in those Harry Potter stories. Well, carbon pollution is the "Pollution Which Shall Not Be Named." Climate change--the harm that is caused by that pollution--is the "Harm That Shall Not Be Named."

The obstructionists want to squelch any discussion of the "Pollution Which Shall Not Be Named" so as to let big polluters continue dumping carbon and other greenhouse gas into our oceans and atmosphere.

Take, for instance, the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, created in 2007 as a forum for confronting the economic and security challenges of our dependence on foreign fuels. When Republicans took control of the House of Representatives in 2011, they disbanded that committee. End of discussion.
Original post by levi26aaij
Climate Science Obstructionism

The office of Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., has issued the following news release:

Mr. WHITEHOUSE. Madam President, I rise today, as I have at least two dozen times in the past year, to say again that it is time for us to wake up to the stark reality of the climate changes carbon pollution is causing.

Elected officials bear a responsibility every once in a while to escape the grip of the polluting special interests and to act in the interests of regular Americans. We need to wake up and start talking about the negative consequences, the harms of climate change. We need to wake up and mitigate--take steps to protect ourselves--and adapt to the consequences that are already hitting our coasts and our forests, our cities and our farms, our economy and our way of life.

But, of course, the climate deniers and the polluters do not want that. The deniers want to prevent discussion of climate change altogether. In the past few years, in this body, climate science has become a taboo topic.

I watched, when my back was out in the last few days, one of the Harry Potter movies on television. Lord Voldemort was called "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" in those Harry Potter stories. Well, carbon pollution is the "Pollution Which Shall Not Be Named." Climate change--the harm that is caused by that pollution--is the "Harm That Shall Not Be Named."

The obstructionists want to squelch any discussion of the "Pollution Which Shall Not Be Named" so as to let big polluters continue dumping carbon and other greenhouse gas into our oceans and atmosphere.

Take, for instance, the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, created in 2007 as a forum for confronting the economic and security challenges of our dependence on foreign fuels. When Republicans took control of the House of Representatives in 2011, they disbanded that committee. End of discussion.

Funny. I'd have said that it's the environmentalists who don't want to have a disccussion. They'd much rather shout people down.
Reply 2
The major source of pollution is Carbon Dioxide (CO2) (a green house gas). It ispresent in atmosphere naturally and it traps the sun rays on the earth for maintaining theproper temperature condition for all.
To be honest I think the day is coming when the debate about whether or not human-kind is responsible for climate change will be an irrelevance, and we will have to shift our attention to working out how to deal with it.

Whether or not you believe human-kind is responsible, if you accept climate change is happening, and it's going to have bad effects, then surely that means that whether or not it is a natural phenomenon (I personally believe it's caused by humans but hey-ho), we've got to do something about it to prevent the quality of life becoming much worse for all of us (never mind other plant or animal species which might be wiped out)...

Just my thoughts on it anyways...
Here are some thing we could do to reduce pollution. Carpooling, recycling, support local businesses/shop locally (minimizes embodied energy of product), walking/biking, low emission vehicles (ie, CNG). Pollution cannot really be "fixed" but maybe minimized.
Exactly, this isn’t about who is to be blamed but what can we do to stop it? Come on, what will happen if we found the culprit? That doesn’t the way this has to be. Instead let us help each other by being one to fight against environmental destructions.
Reply 6
Simple ways can help so much. Big things are made out of small things so if everyone will do the small things we can make a big change.
CO2 is a trace gas in the atmosphere, not even a very good greenhouse gas, and it's most certainly not a pollutant, though selling the carbon off-setting industry to help make money is a nice spin on the Snake Oil scams sold over history on people's fears and hopes and most of all lack of complete knowledge.

The climate changes all the time, throughout human history, it'll change long after we're gone, it'll change while we're here.

My hat goes off to scientists who use actual science, and people all suggesting realistic coping strategies. I flip the bird to irritating climate change lobbyists and business people using a flawed conclusion with flawed data to entice people's fears and hand over money. Just run a bank like every other life-sucking economic troll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending