The Student Room Group

Do I still have chance to get an A?

Hi,

I has really bad problems going on last year and only managed to get a D on PSYA2,

my teacher is aware of it and adviced me to really get high As on the A2 units,

So if I get a really high A on the othe 3 units, do i have a chance to get an A?

For my PSYA3, I got an A but it's a low one,

help please :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I see that each exam accounts for 25% of the overall A-Level. You need 80% to get an A overall. If you got a D in PSYA2, then assuming the worst (that you only got 50%)

You would need to get a 90% average on the other three papers. This is because 50%+90%+90%+90%/4 = 80%.

What scores did you get exactly in PSYA2 and PSYA3?
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.
Yes, I see that each exam accounts for 25% of the overall A-Level. You need 80% to get an A overall. If you got a D in PSYA2, then assuming the worst (that you only got 50%)

You would need to get a 90% average on the other three papers. This is because 50%+90%+90%+90%/4 = 80%.

What scores did you get exactly in PSYA2 and PSYA3?

Thank you for your reply,

for PSYA2 i got 39 and PSYA3 = 43 :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by shybrowngirl
Thank you for your reply,

for PSYA2 i got 39 and PSYA3 = 43 :frown:

What are the exams out of? So 39 out of what?
Reply 4
Original post by Noble.
What are the exams out of? So 39 out of what?

They are both out of 72,apart from PSYA4 which is out of 83
Assuming grade boundaries are the same as aqa b syllabus I did couple of years ago 80ums = A. So you need 320ums across the 4 exams for an A overall. A D would have been somewhere between 50 and 59, so say worst case scenario 50, you would need 270ums from the other 3 exams (so an average of 90), you said you got a low A which worst case would be 80ums leaving 190ums needed for the other 2 (so 95 average). Meaning it's possible but not easy, could be easier if you had higher ums in the other 2 exams I've done worst case scenario based on what you've said. Other thing to mention is ums is not the same as raw marks, so you can't know for certain how many raw marks you would need on the exams as how they convert to ums will vary slightly each year depending on the difficulty of the paper etc. Of course you could retake the D if you wanted to but it's up to you if you'd rather put lots of work into the two remaining units needing very high grades or have to split revision between 3 exams but not have to do as well in each one.

On a side note - could you not have got special consideration if you had problems at the time? Or were they not that sort of problem.

Good luck!
Reply 6
They are both out of 72,apart from PSYA4 which is out of 83

I thought you said you got an A in PSYA3? 43/72 wouldn't be an A.
Oh beaten to it! But to work this out we need your ums marks not the raw marks (so the ones out of 100 not the ones out of 72, I believe for psychology anyway)

Unless the A syllabus works differently... just noticed you mentioned different weightings would need to know these.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Flippin-Mad
Oh beaten to it! But to work this out we need your ums marks not the raw marks (so the ones out of 100 not the ones out of 72, I believe for psychology anyway)

Ah, I thought she was giving UMS (since most people never find out their raw marks).
Reply 9
Original post by Noble.
I thought you said you got an A in PSYA3? 43/72 wouldn't be an A.

Possible typo? :dontknow:

OP, did you get any A's apart from unit 3? If not, I would recommend taking another module to take the pressure off.
Original post by Noble.
Ah, I thought she was giving UMS (since most people never find out their raw marks).

Just edited your possibly right as she hinted at the different weightings just I know for the other syllabus the papers are out of 70ish but ums is out of 100. Although quite often teachers can find out the raw marks, at least from certain exam boards, so probably need to check.

If raw marks 43 might be an A as well, if it was a particularly difficult paper. Or for some subjects A = 70 I wonder if thats the case here?
(edited 11 years ago)
Just edited your possibly right as she hinted at the different weightings just I know for the other syllabus the papers are out of 70ish but ums is out of 100. Although quite often teachers can find out the raw marks, at least from certain exam boards, so probably need to check.

If raw marks 43 might be an A as well, if it was a particularly difficult paper. Or for some subjects A = 70 I wonder if thats the case here?

Original post by cpdavis
Possible typo? :dontknow:

OP, did you get any A's apart from unit 3? If not, I would recommend taking another module to take the pressure off.

Original post by Noble.

Unless the A syllabus works differently... just noticed you mentioned different weightings would need to know these.

Assuming grade boundaries are the same as aqa b syllabus I did couple of years ago 80ums = A. So you need 320ums across the 4 exams for an A overall. A D would have been somewhere between 50 and 59, so say worst case scenario 50, you would need 270ums from the other 3 exams (so an average of 90), you said you got a low A which worst case would be 80ums leaving 190ums needed for the other 2 (so 95 average). Meaning it's possible but not easy, could be easier if you had higher ums in the other 2 exams I've done worst case scenario based on what you've said. Other thing to mention is ums is not the same as raw marks, so you can't know for certain how many raw marks you would need on the exams as how they convert to ums will vary slightly each year depending on the difficulty of the paper etc. Of course you could retake the D if you wanted to but it's up to you if you'd rather put lots of work into the two remaining units needing very high grades or have to split revision between 3 exams but not have to do as well in each one.

On a side note - could you not have got special consideration if you had problems at the time? Or were they not that sort of problem.

Good luck!

sorry for confusing everyone!!

my teacher gave our raw marks yesterday, and that's what she told me. does it mean I didn't get my A?:afraid:
sorry for confusing everyone!!

my teacher gave our raw marks yesterday, and that's what she told me. does it mean I didn't get my A?:afraid:

Could you let us know your ums marks (on results slip) and the weighting of each paper (i.e. are they all equal or is psya4 worth more than the others?)
Could you let us know your ums marks (on results slip) and the weighting of each paper (i.e. are they all equal or is psya4 worth more than the others?)

yes sure,

for PSYA3 = 82 ums
PSYA2 = 55 ums

I think they all are 25% but the total mark for PSYA4 is 83 :confused:
Reply 14
I've just looked at the grade boundaries for AQA Jan 2013. 43 is indeed an A (42 was needed for an A). 39 sits right in the middle (pretty much) between a D and C for PSYA2

So roughly your average of those two exams is 68.5%. The fourth exam carries a 15% increased weighting over the other three, so in PSYA1 and PSYA4 you would have to average just over 91% in the PSYA1 and PSYA4 to get an A overall. I would recommend resitting the PSYA2
Original post by Noble.
I've just looked at the grade boundaries for AQA Jan 2013. 43 is indeed an A (42 was needed for an A). 39 sits right in the middle (pretty much) between a D and C for PSYA2

So roughly your average of those two exams is 68.5%. The fourth exam carries a 15% increased weighting over the other three, so in PSYA1 and PSYA4 you would have to average just over 91% in the PSYA1 and PSYA4 to get an A overall. I would recommend resitting the PSYA2

My school won't allow me to resist my PSYA2 but they said I can resist PSYA1 and PSYA3 :frown:
Reply 16
My school won't allow me to resist my PSYA2 but they said I can resist PSYA1 and PSYA3 :frown:

What did you get in PSYA1? UMS.

And what was your UMS for psy1?
Original post by Noble.
What did you get in PSYA1? UMS.

Original post by cpdavis
And what was your UMS for psy1?

66 ums
yes sure,

for PSYA3 = 82 ums
PSYA2 = 55 ums

I think they all are 25% but the total mark for PSYA4 is 83 :confused:

Yes just checked they are all equal. So you need 320 ums overall for an A, so far you have 137, so you need 183 ums from the remaining 2 exams (so 91.5 average on them) for your A overall. How many actual marks this is can vary quite a lot depending on how difficult people find the papers each year

Quick Reply