The Student Room Group

Geography coursework material

Hey, i'm self- learning AQA A Level Geography and saw that in paper 2 they ask questions about fieldwork that you have carried out.

Doing it by myself, I havent actually been on a Geography field trip :frown:

Anyone know where I can get hold of some written fieldwork results or some sort of material that i could base my answers on?

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by english lit
Hey, i'm self- learning AQA A Level Geography and saw that in paper 2 they ask questions about fieldwork that you have carried out.

Doing it by myself, I havent actually been on a Geography field trip :frown:

Anyone know where I can get hold of some written fieldwork results or some sort of material that i could base my answers on?

thanks

AQA has two options: 4a (where you have to do your own fieldwork) and 4b (where they give you a pre-prepared one)... surely you will have entered yourself for the later?
Reply 2
Original post by LadyHaha
AQA has two options: 4a (where you have to do your own fieldwork) and 4b (where they give you a pre-prepared one)... surely you will have entered yourself for the later?

Yeah, I've entered myself for 4B :smile: but i'm talking about paper 2 where in the second question, you have to talk about a field trip you've gone on
Reply 3
Yeah, I've entered myself for 4B :smile: but i'm talking about paper 2 where in the second question, you have to talk about a field trip you've gone on

4b = 'Paper 2' at A level - you shouldn't have to talk about a field trip that you've supposedly been on. The only other paper at A level is the big one with two of plate tectonics/ weather and climate/ ecosystems and two of world cities/ development and globalisation/ conflicts...
Reply 4
4b = 'Paper 2' at A level - you shouldn't have to talk about a field trip that you've supposedly been on. The only other paper at A level is the big one with two of plate tectonics/ weather and climate/ ecosystems and two of world cities/ development and globalisation/ conflicts...

WOMAN....Paper 2 of the AS Level. GEOG2- Geographical skills
Go and do a fieldwork? as long as you link it to spec.

that's paper 2 at A2 not A Level. A level is AS and A2 together.
Reply 7
WOMAN....Paper 2 of the AS Level. GEOG2- Geographical skills

Sorry, thought you were doing A level... there's still an equivalent option at AS... Isn't there?
Reply 8
Original post by clareramos
that's paper 2 at A2 not A Level. A level is AS and A2 together.

Yeah, I got confused because the OP said: I'm doing Geography A level, so I assumed that they'd be talking about the papers at A level and had already done the AS ones...
Yeah, I got confused because the OP said: I'm doing Geography A level, so I assumed that they'd be talking about the papers at A level and had already done the AS ones...

did you read what I said? you are doing A2. AS + A2 = A Level
Reply 10
Sorry, thought you were doing A level... there's still an equivalent option at AS... Isn't there?

I am doing A Level Geog: AS+ A2.

Nah there isn't. it's a compulsory question with no alternatives. Have you not done AQA AS GEOG?
Reply 11
Go and do a fieldwork? as long as you link it to spec.

Don't have the time for that.. but yeah i'll have a look at the spec and see what i can come up with :smile:

Is there any textbook that has a chapter on paper 2? my book's got nothing on it
Reply 12
Original post by waytosenses
I'm on the same boat as you are but i don't think you'll need fieldwork experience as it is a written paper about tested experiments from analysing maps, graphical, cartographic, ICT, statistical skills etc.
For a2 however i'm thinking of doing some volunteering at marine/coastal conservation areas to be able to carry out some fieldwork skills.

Which options are you taking?:tongue:

but the second question in paper 2 begins with "You have experienced geography fieldwork as part of the course. Use this experience to answer the following questions", then they ask you questions related to it lol

Why are you self learning Geography? :smile:

Im doing rivers, coasts, human population and health issues for AS and Plate tectonics, world cities, and Development and Globalisation for A2. How about you?
Don't have the time for that.. but yeah i'll have a look at the spec and see what i can come up with :smile:

Is there any textbook that has a chapter on paper 2? my book's got nothing on it

make time, it's part of the course you have to do something, even if you spend a day doing the fieldwork and analysing it. I take students away for 4 days, where they have to carry out fieldwork and analyse everything, plus write their report for the end of it. they're planned it before. for AS 1 day is very doable. you have Easter do it then.
Reply 14
I am doing A Level Geog: AS+ A2.

Nah there isn't. it's a compulsory question with no alternatives. Have you not done AQA AS GEOG?

I have, and we did paper 2 last year (went to juniper hall for the fieldwork), but we chose the second option for A2 (to give us more teaching time this term for the big paper), and I assumed you could have done that at AS... it's pretty straight forward to make up if you look at all the past papers :smile:
Reply 15
did you read what I said? you are doing A2. AS + A2 = A Level

Nowhere in the original post did the OP explicitly say they were doing both AS and A level this year.
by the fact the OP said about fieldwork you would assume it'd be 2 or 4A.

and don't make up a fieldwork, it is very obvious, seen it many times when marking scripts, they often get stuck in methods or results as something doesn't look right/explanation is very odd/weak.

Quick Reply