The Student Room Group

Uni + Violin - is it worth it? How long to grade 5 HELP

Please Help.

Assuming my A-Levels go well I will be at University in September. I played Violin when I was younger for a very short time but was active in sport so had to make a sacrifice.

How long would it take me to get to Grade 5 Violin at a Top Uni with a difficult Uni Course?

Is it worth it or should I just stick to sports and my subjects?

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Better
Please Help.

Assuming my A-Levels go well I will be at University in September. I played Violin when I was younger for a very short time but was active in sport so had to make a sacrifice.

How long would it take me to get to Grade 5 Violin at a Top Uni with a difficult Uni Course?

Thank you in advance

I would imagine that finding somewhere to practise might be quite a big problem?
Reply 2
Obviously it entirely depends on how much (and how well you practice). 10 minutes a day without a teacher? Years. 2 hours a day with a good teacher? Not very long at all.
Reply 3
Original post by Better
Please Help.

Thank you in advance

I'm currently studying quite an intensive course but I also visit a violin teacher once a week, and practice one hour everyday. It is possible to do, and I find it a fun break from working, but make sure you'll enjoy it. I'm working towards doing music exams, but I also like playing fun pieces, because it helps remind me that it's not all about passing the exam and getting a merit/distinction etc.

I don't do much sport though, so I have that time free when other people are busy exercising. If you really want to start playing again, and don't think you'll have too many other commitments such as sports, then I'd say go for it. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey
I was just wonderin; if i take grade 6 music theory and violin practical exams and pass, and i also take grade 7 theory and violin practicals and pass, would the UCAS point/tariff awarded to both be added together to give a higher score
Reply 5
Original post by Angury
I'm currently studying quite an intensive course but I also visit a violin teacher once a week, and practice one hour everyday. It is possible to do, and I find it a fun break from working, but make sure you'll enjoy it. I'm working towards doing music exams, but I also like playing fun pieces, because it helps remind me that it's not all about passing the exam and getting a merit/distinction etc.

I don't do much sport though, so I have that time free when other people are busy exercising. If you really want to start playing again, and don't think you'll have too many other commitments such as sports, then I'd say go for it. :smile:

I see thank you for taking the time to reply.

Hmmm I guess with everything you have to put in effort and enjoy it......

Well at least you put it in a way I could understand, well its unfortunate that I didn't get to pursue it, but I guess I will just stick to what I am good at and leverage my strengths.
Original post by ekpenyongnsa
Hey
I was just wonderin; if i take grade 6 music theory and violin practical exams and pass, and i also take grade 7 theory and violin practicals and pass, would the UCAS point/tariff awarded to both be added together to give a higher score

You only get points for the highest grade.

I'm guessing it would take about 5 years to get to grade 5, depending on how much you are capable of now! Don't give up though because you WILL regret it later! :smile:
hey thanks alot,
im already in grade 5 on the violin how many hours per week do u think i can do to get to grade 7 in six months.
and do u know any online classes i can take to help me get to grade 7 in theory and on the violin

Quick Reply

Latest