The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Philippamalko
I'd be grateful for any opinions on what i should do with my gap year.

Basically I'm in my last year of sixth form and have been rejected from Oxford (GCSEs not high enough), Sheffield (personal statement not as good as other peoples), Newcastle and Durham (2.5 off the UKCAT cut off) for medicine. Through ucas extra I applied to the clinical sciences course at Bradford university (in my hometown) to keep my options open. Would it make more sense to just take a year out and travel, get work experience and a job like a HCA/phlebotomist or to take this course and hope i do well enough to move to Leeds medical school after the first year? Alternatively I could do a year of this course and then still apply through ucas to medical schools in October?

For information my stats are:
GCSEs: 6A*s 6As
AS levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: 692.5
Work experience: long term charity volunteering and hospital experience

Thanks in advance

Those are some astounding grades! Lets hope you get your A2 predictions. Personally if I were you, I wouldnt waste my time with any foundation courses. I live with 2 medicine students who are 1st years and they are 21 years old. You have plenty of time to apply to medicine. Go work in healthcare, get as much experience as you can get, revise like crazy for your UKCAT and smash that personal statement!! Your grades are too good to mess around with access or GEP. Just apply again next year :smile: xxx
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 181
Original post by neeloo
Thanks for the information, that answers some of my questions. Have you applied to medicine this year as well as the clinical sciences course at Bradford?

Yes I have, have you?
Reply 182
Original post by fletchdd02
Yes I have, have you?

What universities have you applied to? And no I havent.
Reply 183
Original post by neeloo
What universities have you applied to? And no I havent.

Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol and Aberdeen. Rejections from Leeds and Nottingham, interviewed at Bristol and Aberdeen, I find out from them both within the next two weeks :smile:

What other courses have you applied for?
Original post by sammyjade92
Those are some astounding grades! Lets hope you get your A2 predictions. Personally if I were you, I wouldnt waste my time with any foundation courses. I live with 2 medicine students who are 1st years and they are 21 years old. You have plenty of time to apply to medicine. Go work in healthcare, get as much experience as you can get, revise like crazy for your UKCAT and smash that personal statement!! Your grades are too good to mess around with access or GEP. Just apply again next year :smile: xxx

Hi there sammy, this comment is nothing to do with the quote, but I wanted to ask what time you have to get there for the presentation and talk, and what building its in? And is it before the allotted interview time? sorry ive lost my letter!!
Reply 185
Original post by jeromejones
Hi there sammy, this comment is nothing to do with the quote, but I wanted to ask what time you have to get there for the presentation and talk, and what building its in? And is it before the allotted interview time? sorry ive lost my letter!!

hey, my talk was at 12:30 and its the richmond building (main building) and they you go to the top floor and sign in and theyll tell you where to go for the presentation (there will be lots of posters to direct you to the right floor/just look at Clinscience department by the lift list thing)
good luck! Some people have interviews before it and some after it.
Original post by Libby18
hey, my talk was at 12:30 and its the richmond building (main building) and they you go to the top floor and sign in and theyll tell you where to go for the presentation (there will be lots of posters to direct you to the right floor/just look at Clinscience department by the lift list thing)
good luck! Some people have interviews before it and some after it.

Thanks libby! and btw does that include tour?? I don't want them to ask me questions about the optional tour etc. and then have to tell them i didn't go! ha

Sorry I didn't see this sooner! I'm just on my way home! Il reply when I get home with the info! :smile: xx
Reply 188
Thanks libby! and btw does that include tour?? I don't want them to ask me questions about the optional tour etc. and then have to tell them i didn't go! ha

yes, we had a 25 min tour of the place, student union etc they didn't ask me, as I think they try and make sure they everyone gets to hear it and those who miss out (turn up late) I think got filled in before/after their interview anyway :smile:
Its not that bad, dont stress too much!
Yup, what was said above :smile: 12.30 :smile: x
Original post by Libby18
yes, we had a 25 min tour of the place, student union etc they didn't ask me, as I think they try and make sure they everyone gets to hear it and those who miss out (turn up late) I think got filled in before/after their interview anyway :smile:
Its not that bad, dont stress too much!

thank you! big help
Where have you applied to for medicine and how's the application looking?

I applied to Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Kings for medicine and Bradford for Clinical sciences.

I've had rejections from Sheffield and Bristol (didn't ask for feedback) but offers from Manchester, Kings and Bradford. Firmed Manchester and Bradford is insurance. :smile:
Reply 192
Original post by UzairAhmadje
I applied to Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Kings for medicine and Bradford for Clinical sciences.

I've had rejections from Sheffield and Bristol (didn't ask for feedback) but offers from Manchester, Kings and Bradford. Firmed Manchester and Bradford is insurance. :smile:

Ah cool, how come you firmed Manchester over Kings? I loved Kings.

If you get into Manchester you'll be in the same year as my girlfriend!

I felt more welcomed at Manchester and the course structure definitely plays to my strengths since it is PBL :smile:. Ahhh nice to know hehe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epsilon1234
hello there firstly well done on the grades.
i realise i have probably responded too late to youre question and for that i apologise...but regardless
im afraid this is a decision only you can make..i know people that have been successful in applyin to medicine after a gpa year and then obviously after doing the course itself... either option is a risk in itself...sorry for the unhelpful response.

take care good luck :biggrin:

Hi thanks for replying! In the end I decided to take a gap year and have received an offer and am still waiting to hear back from some others, so thank you for the advice! :smile:
Original post by UzairAhmadje
I felt more welcomed at Manchester and the course structure definitely plays to my strengths since it is PBL :smile:. Ahhh nice to know hehe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ankita2011
Hi thanks for replying! In the end I decided to take a gap year and have received an offer and am still waiting to hear back from some others, so thank you for the advice! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/173390572813500/

Reply 196
Original post by muzza.
Thanks :smile: Erm it went horrible haha. I didnt get an offer for clinical science but they offered me a place for biomedical sciences there instead which is what i am more interested in tbh so its not too bad. Have you heard anything? :smile:

The very same happened to me, Muzza!
Will you be attending a bradford this year for biomedical science? I jsut firmed :3
(leeds foundation and clinical science rejected me in the basis of not enough voluntary :frown: awh)
Original post by becky1237
The very same happened to me, Muzza!
Will you be attending a bradford this year for biomedical science? I jsut firmed :3
(leeds foundation and clinical science rejected me in the basis of not enough voluntary :frown: awh)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/173390572813500/174120789407145 feel free to join! Biomed/clinical science-all the same really :P
hello everyone i hope you are all well and good...

congratulations to everyone that has had an interview or got an offer etc. and to those still trying...keep doing what your doing...youll get tehre eventually!!!!!!!!hard work always pays off :biggrin:!

anyways i am getting quite a few private messages asking me about... the questions asked in the bradford clinical sciences and leeds medical interviews... my interviews were all ages ago...and they were just the generic standard questions based on medicine for both degrees... i think i mentioned some pointers in the very first post of this thread which might help... i cant quite remember...

and also just to clarify because people are asking similar questions by private mail ...but yeah i ended up NOT going to leeds medical school in the end as i was rejected after the leeds medical interview in foundation year...[dont let that scare you though in retrospect the interview isnt that hard i just never really expekted to get one so i didnt prepare at all...dumb i know...id kill it now tho :P] but yeah i went elsewhere after COMPLETING the entire degree as a POSTGRADUATE because i still wanted to do medicine and transferring was no longer an option for me in year 1 as i had already been rejected the previous year....[i think that rule might have changed now not sure]

but yeh ihope that clears things up... and apologies to all recieving late replies i am still doing medicine and its gettin more and more busier as i go along...so bare with me.. i hope all that makes sense :s

other than that

good luck to all........respect!
Reply 199
Original post by Epsilon1234
hello everyone i hope you are all well and good...

congratulations to everyone that has had an interview or got an offer etc. and to those still trying...keep doing what your doing...youll get tehre eventually!!!!!!!!hard work always pays off :biggrin:!

anyways i am getting quite a few private messages asking me about... the questions asked in the bradford clinical sciences and leeds medical interviews... my interviews were all ages ago...and they were just the generic standard questions based on medicine for both degrees... i think i mentioned some pointers in the very first post of this thread which might help... i cant quite remember...

and also just to clarify because people are asking similar questions by private mail ...but yeah i ended up NOT going to leeds medical school in the end as i was rejected after the leeds medical interview in foundation year...[dont let that scare you though in retrospect the interview isnt that hard i just never really expekted to get one so i didnt prepare at all...dumb i know...id kill it now tho :P] but yeah i went elsewhere after COMPLETING the entire degree as a POSTGRADUATE because i still wanted to do medicine and transferring was no longer an option for me in year 1 as i had already been rejected the previous year....[i think that rule might have changed now not sure]

but yeh ihope that clears things up... and apologies to all recieving late replies i am still doing medicine and its gettin more and more busier as i go along...so bare with me.. i hope all that makes sense :s

other than that

good luck to all........respect!

Also, the interview at Leeds has since changed this year to an MMI style interview opposed to the traditional panel interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending