The Student Room Group

Do people actually fall in love in 3 days?

I met this guy on Saturday evening and Tuesday night, he decides to profess his LOVE to me and asks me if I love him too? NO DUDE! WTF. Saturday was my first time meeting him during my walk and he seemed decent, well dressed, nice perfume, good looking and then we met again for a minute on Sunday when he came by my place to say hi and it was actually just a minute cause I had to go make dinner, met on monday for 10 minutes and on Tuesday, when he asked me if I loved him too, we chilled for 15 minutes. I am 18 and he is 20.

I don't even know this guys last name and he is asking me to be in a long distance relationship with him. I told him no because he was leaving off to uni this week, I don't know him well enough to trust him and no because I didn't feel the same way about him yet. I even said YET. He tried to pressure me into loving him last night? How does that work? Anyways, he got really irritating cause he was making me feel bad by saying, if I didn't LOVE him, why did I meet up with him or even, hug him, is that all he is good for? All those times we met up was because he begged me to at 8.30pm after promising to come at 5.

Yes, I might have been interested but come on! He was too clingy and I deleted his number last night cause he was already causing annoyance. The annoyance came when I told him I wanted to get to know him before being in a relationship and he kept saying "why do you have to get to know me?" I certainly know all guys are NOT like this but the majority of guys on this side of the wall are. As much as I hate to believe it, I just can't picture giving my number out anymore because this is not the first time a guy in this country as told me he is in love with me within a week or 2. Yes, my countries economy is as bad as the majority of men in it. Really why I can't wait to get out and go to the UK and be a free woman!! Don't they like the chase? I certainly do when I want to get a chick. Yes, I am a free woman who likes women and men.

Don't get me wrong, I was nice to this guy. I wasn't a snobby bitch nor was I being a desperate one.

Anyways, It got me thinking, what is love? Am I being too harsh? Do people actually fall in love in 3 days? The biggest audience I could think of was here on TSR

Scroll to see replies

Nope. It's most probably lust or infatuation.
Reply 2
I think his dick fell in love. :rolleyes:

But yeah, he probably likes you but it isn't love. Especially if you hardly know each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
There's discussion in the field of psychology over the nature and categorisation of love, but most agree that love in the commonly understood sense develops over time as a strong association is formed in each partner's mind. Under this model, the first stage of love is infatuation (which goes beyond simple lust, which is not usually understood to have romantic connotations to it).
Reply 4
He is coming on strong but if he's a decent guy and not just looking for sex then why not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
guy sounds like a wack-job
Reply 6
Definitely infatuation. You must have made an amazing impression on him though :smile:
Reply 7
Does it really matter how we classify it? Isn't the main point that you don't know him well enough to consider a relationship?

I believe that love can happen pretty suddenly (not instantly, but you can trigger it over a matter of a couple of days) and call this 'infatuation' or whatever you want but it can be extremely permanent. Dante met Beatrice once or twice in his life, and barely said a word to her, but his poem is said to have some of the best "romantic" language ever written; would you say he was 'infatuated' for his whole life? To me, that would demean his emotional strength. You can genuinely love someone very soon after you meet them, from the memories and impression alone; you only prove it is beyond infatuation when that love lasts longer than a few weeks.
Reply 8
Original post by eliza.anne

But yeah, he probably likes you but it isn't love. Especially if you hardly know each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely know this isn't love but if that was the case, he could have just said so. :colone: Rather than force me into a relationship with him, a long distance relationship.

Original post by miser
There's discussion in the field of psychology over the nature and categorisation of love, but most agree that love in the commonly understood sense develops over time as a strong association is formed in each partner's mind. Under this model, the first stage of love is infatuation (which goes beyond simple lust, which is not usually understood to have romantic connotations to it).

I believe his attraction towards me (modesty aside) is
Original post by WildBerrySpirit
Nope. It's most probably lust or infatuation.
but I don't understand the forcing me to be in love with him part, is that in the field of psychology too? And he was pretty upset and sad.

Original post by Aries1992
He is coming on strong but if he's a decent guy and not just looking for sex then why not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah! he was a decent guy. Smartly dressed and not like every wiz khalifa wanna be tool I come across. I did want to get to know him and see his views on the world and whatnot. I wish he had tried to get in my pants rather than force me to say I love him.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
guy sounds like a wack-job

Exactly why I deleted his number. I don't want wack-jobs :'(

Original post by domg1994
Definitely infatuation. You must have made an amazing impression on him though :smile:

Maybe :colondollar: but I wanted to give him that same opportunity to make an amazing impression on me but he said "why do you have to know me to be in a relationship with me? Just trust me". That concluded things and made me realise how stupid he is. And especially when people say "just trust me".. I know to run.
Reply 9
Original post by Big-Daddy
Does it really matter how we classify it? Isn't the main point that you don't know him well enough to consider a relationship?

I believe that love can happen pretty suddenly (not instantly, but you can trigger it over a matter of a couple of days) and call this 'infatuation' or whatever you want but it can be extremely permanent. Dante met Beatrice once or twice in his life, and barely said a word to her, but his poem is said to have some of the best "romantic" language ever written; would you say he was 'infatuated' for his whole life? To me, that would demean his emotional strength. You can genuinely love someone very soon after you meet them, from the memories and impression alone; you only prove it is beyond infatuation when that love lasts longer than a few weeks.

This does make sense. He did see me sometime in December apparently. Only spoke to me on Saturday cause he came back for holidays so just maybe. But I doubt Dante forced Beatrice to feel the same love he felt for her. And love could mean something completely different to him but I deem the word a very strong one. I was willing to get to know him and he said I don't need to know him to love him? Thats where it all went wrong. How can I fall in love with someone I just know for 3 days who isn't willing to let me know them after claiming to love me? I'll be glad if every of my crush gave me that opportunity.
Reply 10
Original post by blueberryyums
I definitely know this isn't love but if that was the case, he could have just said so. :colone: Rather than force me into a relationship with him, a long distance relationship.

Well if that's the kind of girl you are...:colone:

But yeah I know what you mean, he sounds odd. Asking you to be his girlfriend that soon is one thing but saying he loves you after 3 days...weird.
Reply 11
Well if that's the kind of girl you are...:colone:

But yeah I know what you mean, he sounds odd. Asking you to be his girlfriend that soon is one thing but saying he loves you after 3 days...weird.

Well, who knows :colone:

I love how creepy that smiley is. I like getting to know people, putting myself in their shoes and also trying to understand them no matter how weird they seem/are. This is just beyond my power. Maybe he thinks love is the same as having a crush? I tried to explain to him it wasn't love and gave him an example of what love meant to me. I said love to me was knowing fully well that no matter the circumstance I'd take a bullet for the person. His response "You don't have to know me blah blah blah". That was weird. Sounded like he was desperate for a trophy before going back to uni and he begged for my pictures. If he were 12 or 13 or 14, I'd understand, but he is 20.

Hahaha! Legend!
But I doubt Dante forced Beatrice to feel the same love he felt for her.

As I said, he apparently never spoke to her again.

I'm not trying to condone this man's actions - just pointing out that actually love does not necessarily take time to develop. Sometimes it only takes memories and glimpses. You can argue that Romeo was in love with Juliet, or just infatuated with her - we don't have nearly enough time to find out and Shakespeare's point is that it doesn't matter which, because both ways, his emotions as a young man were so strong that they led him to act to be with her (disregarding the wiser option of knowing that to go against the families in this way would be harmful, because he was taken over by emotions too strong) and this finally caused his death when he thought he had killed her (again, a case of strong emotions). OK, a little bit of a side-track, but my main point is that you cannot judge a love that blossoms very quickly as 'infatuation' straight away, only if it passes quickly (as Romeo's does for Rosalind).
Reply 14
Well, who knows :colone:

I love how creepy that smiley is. I like getting to know people, putting myself in their shoes and also trying to understand them no matter how weird they seem/are. This is just beyond my power. Maybe he thinks love is the same as having a crush? I tried to explain to him it wasn't love and gave him an example of what love meant to me. I said love to me was knowing fully well that no matter the circumstance I'd take a bullet for the person. His response "You don't have to know me blah blah blah". That was weird. Sounded like he was desperate for a trophy before going back to uni and he begged for my pictures. If he were 12 or 13 or 14, I'd understand, but he is 20.

Yeah I understand that, I wouldn't give him photos, he sounds like a creeper. Like he'd make a scrap book full of your jizz covered photos :colone: too far? Lol.

But yes, he sounds desperate. A definite turn off, I'm sure he's a decent guy but he's just coming across too pushy. Meh, I wouldn't dwell on it. You've told him how you feel, what more can he expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by superduper9
Hahaha! Legend!

I try. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are you from? I notice in a few countries I've been to the men come on very strong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Maybe :colondollar: but I wanted to give him that same opportunity to make an amazing impression on me but he said "why do you have to know me to be in a relationship with me? Just trust me". That concluded things and made me realise how stupid he is. And especially when people say "just trust me".. I know to run.

Yes that's true! And it really is about finding that mutual love. Sometimes a guy doesn't realise when he's being pushy, but he just needs telling :smile: Some guys are genuinely nice, others are just weird
Reply 19
OP if I were you I'd get to know him better but still take it slow, you don't want to jump into a relationship with someone you barely know and if he's a sensible guy he won't either regardless if if he is in "love" or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending