The Student Room Group

Medical school transfer?

Hi

My daughter is in second year of medical school in Scotland and I am looking for ways to get her transferred to a school near London.

I am planning to take it this way:
1. Approach medical schools in London and see if they can accommodate her, most of the schools prefer mutual transfers.
2. Get the predicted grades for current year send to the schools for consideration. Student with good grades always welcome by schools.
3. Get access to their student bulletin board and spread the message if anyone willing to take mutual transfer.
4. Either college agreement or someone ready for mutual transfer will be an indication to start the relieving process at current school.

Any help/tips appreciated.

Syed Hussaini
Original post by Hussaini41
Hi

My daughter is in second year of medical school in Scotland and I am looking for ways to get her transferred to a school near London.

1. Approach medical schools in London and see if they can accommodate her, most of the schools prefer mutual transfers.
2. Get the predicted grades for current year send to the schools for consideration. Student with good grades always welcome by schools.
3. Get access to their student bulletin board and spread the message if anyone willing to take mutual transfer.
4. Either college agreement or someone ready for mutual transfer will be an indication to start the relieving process at current school.

Syed Hussaini

Unless she's at St Andrews and wants to try to transfer after her third year, or there are significant extenuating circumstances such as her own illness or that of a close family member that require her to be in London, her chances are slim to none.

The curriculums are sufficiently different between schools that they are unwilling to organise transfers as the student will inevitably either repeat or miss topics, not to mention that they will not having funding for any additional students.

I speak from experience having tried to transfer from Aberdeen to Barts last year. Nowhere will ordinarily consider transfers outside of the traditional Oxbridge/London exchange at third year.
Reply 2
Hi

Syed Hussaini

Does she want to transfer? I'm a little surprised from your post that you seem to be wanting to do all the work for her, when really this is something affecting her life and for which she will have to do most of the legwork.

As Becca-Sarah says, it is very unlikely that any kind of transfer will be possible unless there are significant extenuating circumstances that were not present at the start of her course, or if it's for the St. Andrew's clinical transfer. AFAIK finding a "mutual" transfer is neither necessary nor helpful. Why should any student who is settled in their course have to uproot themselves, move to the other end of the country and start on a course which may have covered/not covered completely different topics, just for your daughter's sake? Your daughter really needs to speak to her tutors at her current university about why she is unhappy and what her reasons for wanting to move (if indeed she does), and any potential transfer would have to be organised through them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi

Syed Hussaini

Let her sort it out her self, if she does actually want to transfer, as:

a.) Any chance of a transfer working might not be looked upon favorably by the medical schools if you do it for her.

b.) She is going to be a Doctor, learning to be independent is just as important as learning the medicine.
Reply 4
Thanks Becca-Sarah for your valuable comments.
Reply 5
Thanks Helenia/Becca for your valuable comments. I shown the comments to my daughter and we decided not to try it.
Thanks Helenia/Becca for your valuable comments. I shown the comments to my daughter and we decided not to try it.

Very wise. Barts stopped this several years ago.
Reply 7
Hi,

I really appreciate it if you could provide me some information.

I live in Netherlands. I have the bachelor degree of biomedical science (3 years). After I got this I switched to Medicine, and I could start from the third year. And now im at the fourth year. Now as I have some personal problems I want to move to England.

First of all I would like to know more about the medical system in England. If someone can give me a good site with information.
I really get confused as I see that there is a undergraduate and and uppergraduate system. What is the difference? And what is a bachelor or master. I simply just want to be a doctor and in Netherland there is just one possibility of study you have to do (which i do know) to become a doctor. You need to study 6 years, which is divided into 3-3years: the first 3 years is called bachelor and then you start with master(another 3 year). Then you are (basic) doctor, but still you have to specialize to be able to work independently. Almost all studies there are divided in bachelor(3years)and master degree. I have now the bachelor degree of biomedical science.

I really need to move to England, but in some other topics I read there is a little chance if someone wants to switch medical univeristy. But do I have more chance as I have also a bachelor degree of biomedical science?
And which university should I try?

Lots of thanks in advance!

Regards
Zahra

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending