The Student Room Group

homework at college??

hellooo, im going to a sixth form college next year and i was just wandering if there is such a thing as homework at any sixth form college. i hate homework and i try to avoid it as much as possible. i learn nothing from homework, so i find it a waste of time. i have asked several people if homework does exist at college and i have been told several different answers. so if you do go to a sixth form college, does homework exist??
Original post by naseem hossen
hellooo, im going to a sixth form college next year and i was just wandering if there is such a thing as homework at any sixth form college. i hate homework and i try to avoid it as much as possible. i learn nothing from homework, so i find it a waste of time. i have asked several people if homework does exist at college and i have been told several different answers. so if you do go to a sixth form college, does homework exist??

At mine, yes. It does depend on the subject e.g for Bio and Chem it's generally questions and notes, while for Politics it's essays and research, and for Econ we don't get any formally set - it's just independent reviewing of what we've done already.
Reply 2
Original post by Alexandra's Box
At mine, yes. It does depend on the subject e.g for Bio and Chem it's generally questions and notes, while for Politics it's essays and research, and for Econ we don't get any formally set - it's just independent reviewing of what we've done already.

so do teachers normally give you deadlines to do the homework? and if you dont do the homework, i hope you dont get anything like detentions...
Reply 3
You are expected to study outside of college. From experience, you are generally expected to do more than the work set.
so do teachers normally give you deadlines to do the homework? and if you dont do the homework, i hope you dont get anything like detentions...

We usually get about a week and yes, there are 'sanctions' if we don't do it. But it is helpful and without it lots of people would just do nothing. You've always got do work you don't want to, at university core modules and in a job...
Reply 5
Yes. At my college we are expected to complete 3 hours extra work per week per A/AS subject, this will probably be similar at yours. You may not like it but you will have to get to used to it if you hope to do well in your A levels. You get out what you put in :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Yess. Though at mine it's generally just questions. Holidays they give you papers to do at mine.
Yes, I am supposed to be doing mine right now!

I don't want to sound preachy, but if you don't like homework, perhaps consider doing a different course. If you only do work in lessons, and no independent study, you'll get rubbish grades, plus it'll be two years (or more, if you have to retake) wasted.
Yes, because homework is a BIG part of the learning process at college. Doing your AS/A Levels in lesson time is definitely not enough time and you need to do a lot of study. This includes homework and essays.
Reply 9
Homework exists, and there is so much of it. Even if you are not given something to hand in, you are expected to read around the subject as there is more to learn than the teachers have time to teach. My college says you should spend 4 hours outside of college on each subject a week.
Reply 10

Oh Lord...

There is MORE homework at college. It's not really optional - you have less time in college because it's understood you will study at home because the time you get in college isn't enough. You won't fail if you don't do it but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I hate homework as well but I get on with it. If you REALLY don't want to do homework - do an easy BTEC.
Reply 11
im not saying that i dont want to study independently at all. i just want to get rid of all the homework i have to do, so then i have plenty of time for independent studying. i always study/revise and i prefer to do that instead of homework.
(edited 11 years ago)
You will have time for independent study and you will be expected to do that.
Reply 13
I go to a sixth form college :smile:

Depends on the subject/teacher/college how much you get. My friend is forever going on about how she has 20 pieces of work given to her a week for philosophy. I usually get set Maths once a week which takes an hour ish, a set of questions for Chemistry once a week which again takes about an hour, and Biology every other week I'd say, and that's if she remembers :tongue: I tend to have way more tests though than my friends though, so I usually always have a test to revise for.

Quick Reply

Latest