The Student Room Group

Lse economic history

LSE Economic History

What are my chances at LSE Economic History?

GCSES:
Maths-A
English Language-A
French-A
ICT-A
Portuguese-A
English Literature-B
History-B
Science-C

AS-Levels:
Portuguese-A
Business Studies-A
English Literature-A
History-A

Predicted A-Levels:
Portuguese-A*
History-A*
English Literature-A

Anyone know if my chances of getting in are good?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
See here. LSE is big on GCSE results and look for mostly A and A* grades, so yours are very much on the low side :sadnod:

Is Portuguese your native language?
Reply 3
@Potally_Tissed I know but the course is AAB so thought that my A2 results would suffice? Yes Portuguese is my Native Language
Original post by LSE1996
@Potally_Tissed I know but the course is AAB so thought that my A2 results would suffice?

They might compensate, but they do look for applicants who "have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A or A*". Bear in mind that most applicants will have excellent A level results and top GCSE grades.

Yes Portuguese is my Native Language

That could be a problem. Modern language A levels are designed for people learning them as an additional language, not for people who already speak them as a native language. You're likely to find that some places won't count your Portuguese A level.

Would there be any chance of you doing A2 business studies?
Reply 5
@Potally_Tissed I have been thinking of doing AS and A level French all in the same year, I think that would be a good subject for me to have..
Reply 6
+ This is one of the least competitive courses at LSE, there is about 5 applicants per spot so I don't know what to think. I think I will email them to enquire
Original post by LSE1996
@Potally_Tissed I have been thinking of doing AS and A level French all in the same year, I think that would be a good subject for me to have..

Certainly wouldn't do you any harm :nah: When would you be planning to do it? If it's not in the same two years as your current A levels, then you run into the disadvantage of having your three A levels completed over three (or more) years.
Reply 8
I would be doing it next year so in the same year I would be doing my other three A Levels..
Original post by LSE1996
I would be doing it next year so in the same year I would be doing my other three A Levels..

That's OK then :yep: Definitely a good idea then I reckon, having three A levels but including one in your native language means a lot of unis will look at you as only really having two A levels, which isn't a strong position.
Reply 10
Do you know if the Personal Statement should be more Economics Oriented or History or a mixture?
Original post by LSE1996
Do you know if the Personal Statement should be more Economics Oriented or History or a mixture?

Mixture, after all, it is economic history.
Reply 12
My question now would be: Should I bother applying or go for King's?
Original post by LSE1996
My question now would be: Should I bother applying or go for King's?

Bother if they're team says you've got a shot. Try and do as much research on here about people who got offers for EH and see whether you are of a similar calibre both in terms of GCSEs and A-levels. If you are, apply, if not, don't, but you may always think 'what if..?' later on in life. It only uses up 20% of your choices after all..

Your choice.
Reply 14
@MakeBelieve15 Thank you, that got me thinking :redface:.. I think that I am going to apply and hope for the best... The course does have a 25% acceptance rate so I always have a chance..
Reply 15
I was accepted on economic history with pretty low GCSE grades (All A's and B's).

They take into account your personal statement a lot.

Also to note, the acceptance is 20%, not 25%.
Reply 16
@Leondrip Hey! How are you finding the course and teaching at LSE? Is the Course as interesting as it sounds?
I've known people who have gotten into EH with worse GCSEs than you. :smile:
Reply 18
Really? How were their A-Levels, do you know?
Original post by LSE1996
Really? How were their A-Levels, do you know?

A*AA. I was as shocked as you were, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending