The Student Room Group

Hunting:Your views?

As the title states, so is the question!

I myself have been a sport hunter for a long time, I started out hunting foul and small game with my Dad when I was younger, but as I grew older I moved on to progressively larger game and started Bow Hunting instead. I would go over to my Brother in Laws in the States and hunt Big Game such as Deer, Elk, Proghorn, Moose Bear etc(tried Mountain Lion, but the things are tricky) , and even to Africa to hunt Oryx.

All I can is that I absolutely love it, as many other hunters will know it's the thrill of the stalk and the satisfaction of the kill that makes it worth while.

I hear a lot of winging and crying from those in the anti-hunting brigade, and I usually do my best to keep them happy, I have a habit of whenever able utilizing all the meat and the pelts(as most Hunters do really..why waste good meat and pelts you can sell?)

Sadly though over the past few years due to University Commitments, getting married, putting money away for essentially starting up a decent life and family, I haven't had the chance to get away but ive been thinking of sometime in the near future getting my Bow out of it's case, get my aim back in order and maybe getting back into the hobby, which made me think?

What does TSR think of Hunting, Thrilling Blood Sport, or Barbaric Animal Cruelty?

I obviously don't have a problem with it, it's a fantastic and rewarding pastime.

Myself Below

Edit: It has come to my attention that certain participants in this thread feel as though in discussion I have "dismissed" oposing viewpoints.
I would like to sincerely apologies for this seeming to be the case, and to state it certainly is not my intent.
I will of course debate viewpoints, but my disagreement is not a dismissal of your view.

Edit 2: I have deicded to put a Video here from the Scotlish Highland management team BASC, it covers Deer Stalking but more importantly the process of Culling, which is the reason most hunters hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnjODzok7MM

There are some graphic scenes.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you eat whatyou kill? Because if you do, i think thats fine, but if you kill for fun, i don't think its right. Though if you leave it out in the wild it, then other animals can eat it, so it's not that bad.
Reply 2
Original post by LauraLovesOtters
Do you eat whatyou kill? Because if you do, i think thats fine, but if you kill for fun, i don't think its right. Though if you leave it out in the wild it, then other animals can eat it, so it's not that bad.

Well I kill mainly for fun,though I do eat as much as I can as I mentioned. (With the prices you pay for hunting licensing nowadays, you may as well get some grub out of it)
I don't think it's that bad to be honest, i mean people compain about it but then they eat meat themselves. If you kill an animal and just leave it you are still providing food for another creature, aswell as having fun. Go You! (And if you get free food out of it- even better)
Don't think i could do it though. I eat meat yeah, but to see something there infront of me and then kill it, no i couldn't do it.
When we respect wildlife properly it's fine, but only if we set up a wild hunting area that is seperate from the wild area, until then I don't like it.

Bears and wolves used to roam Britain :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by The_Last_Melon
When we respect wildlife properly it's fine, but only if we set up a wild hunting area that is seperate from the wild area, until then I don't like it.

Bears and wolves used to roam Britain :colonhash:

I know, our foolish over-hunting ruined so much, it would be wonderful if Big Game hunting were possible never-mind allowed in England, alas.

We need to take a page from the American system, Deer populations in many parts of the states are so high that they become problematic and local county's "pay you" to hunt to lower the numbers.
I don't really mind it, particularly if it's for food. I think shooting anything that moves is a bit indulgent, but each to their own.

It's a pity they don't hunt chavs.
Reply 7
I'm not really a fan of hunting, especially for fun, it's just cruel. Wait, one day animals will hunt humans for fun :crazy:
Reply 8
Original post by ForgetMe
I'm not really a fan of hunting, especially for fun, it's just cruel. Wait, one day animals will hunt humans for fun :crazy:

They already do if they can get the chance, there version of hunting is no crueler than ours.
Reply 9
There's nothing wrong with hunting unless you're shooting herds of black rhinos or California Condors with AK-47s...

They need to lift the ban on fox hunting with dogs, too, absolutely ridiculous.
Fine by me as long as:
- you don't kill anything endangered
- it is a clean, swift (as painless as possible) death for the animal
- you don't kill baby ones :P
- the animal carcass isn't wasted
Reply 11
Original post by d4nny
Fine by me as long as:
- you don't kill anything endangered

I value not being arrested

- it is a clean, swift (as painless as possible) death for the animal

Not always possible with Bow-Hunting, but I always have a knife for a coup-de-gras.

- you don't kill baby ones :P

Agreed, else populations would fall to fast.

the animal carcass isn't wasted

No biggy if it is, something else will eat it.
Reply 12
I mean. Purely as a way of getting food I'm for it far more than I am for battery farms. These animals lived a natural life and then were killed for food as opposed to living a life in captivity.
Original post by Syrokal
As the title states, so is the question!

I myself have been a sport hunter for a long time, I started out hunting foul and small game with my Dad when I was younger, but as I grew older I moved on to progressively larger game and started Bow Hunting instead. I would go over to my Brother in Laws in the States and hunt Big Game such as Deer, Elk, Proghorn, Moose Bear etc(tried Mountain Lion, but the things are tricky) , and even to Africa to hunt Oryx.

All I can is that I absolutely love it, as many other hunters will know it's the thrill of the stalk and the satisfaction of the kill that makes it worth while.

I hear a lot of winging and crying from those in the anti-hunting brigade, and I usually do my best to keep them happy, I have a habit of whenever able utilizing all the meat and the pelts(as most Hunters do really..why waste good meat and pelts you can sell?)

Sadly though over the past few years due to University Commitments, getting married, putting money away for essentially starting up a decent life and family, I haven't had the chance to get away but ive been thinking of sometime in the near future getting my Bow out of it's case, get my aim back in order and maybe getting back into the hobby, which made me think?

What does TSR think of Hunting, Thrilling Blood Sport, or Barbaric Animal Cruelty?

I obviously don't have a problem with it, it's a fantastic and rewarding pastime.

Myself Below

One of the things I don't like is people who take a man vs animal approach. As if you're testing your strength by killing the animal. It's not a test of strength if you are using a high powered rifle. I know it still must take skill especially with smaller game but people who shoot elephents are just douchbags.
Reply 14
I could never imagine killing animals for fun. To find enjoyment in killing anything strikes me as critically lacking in empathy.
Reply 15
Original post by Jacob :)
One of the things I don't like is people who take a man vs animal approach. As if you're testing your strength by killing the animal. It's not a test of strength if you are using a high powered rifle. I know it still must take skill especially with smaller game but people who shoot elephents are just douchbags.

To an extent I agree, it's one of the main reasons I stopped rifle hunting and switched to bow hunting, any tool can knock on a scope pick up a rifle and kill a game from insane distances.

But with a bow your shot range is cut down insanely, you have to have that practical skill to be able to get to a very close distance before taking the shot.
I admit it's easier with a compound bow than with a recruve, however I found practicality count's for something and a recurve is a lot harder to carry around with you when moving through brush, it becomes CRUNCH CRUNCH SNAP RUSTLE HELLO ALL NEARBYE GAME I IZ HERE!
Reply 16
Original post by miser
I could never imagine killing animals for fun. To find enjoyment in killing anything strikes me as critically lacking in empathy.

How so?
Reply 17
Original post by Syrokal
How so?

Empathy is the ability to understand or share the feelings of others. Enjoying causing harm shows a disconnection in that ability.
Reply 18
Original post by miser
Empathy is the ability to understand or share the feelings of others. Enjoying causing harm shows a disconnection in that ability.

What if feel empathy yet, find the thrill and enjoyment of the hunt and the kill simply to be greater.

It shows you simply have a passion that is greater than other feelings, not that one feeling is stunted.
Reply 19
I like tweed jackets, shotguns, beaters and dogs sort of hunting.

The American style with high tech weaponry and camouflage not so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending