The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by MENDACIUM
On what grounds do you accept homosexuality? (Could you list your key reasons please).

I accept it because I try to be a compassionate person and have no reasons to disapprove.
Reply 181
Original post by miser
I accept it because I try to be a compassionate person and have no reasons to disapprove.

Specifically , what principles do you feel you use to accept homosexuality?
Reply 182
Specifically , what principles do you feel you use to accept homosexuality?

Compassion, justice, humility, love, etc...
Original post by standreams
I have absolutely no interest in your family tree, but unless your family are somehow a separate subset of the human race, I see no reason why you should presume that any child of yours would naturally be very similar to you in his/her interests. My experience shows that very few children have very similar interests to their parents. Presumably, you would also want a partner with very similar interests to you, to ensure this is the case? Would you be 'disappointed' if your child shared their mother's interests rather than your own?

I don't think many people care either way whether their hypothetical future child has similar interests to them- a good parent will expose their offspring to a range of different things and let the child choose for themselves what interests them. A good parent would obviously also try to share in their child's interests, whatever those might be, as well as letting them have their own individual quirks, interests and hobbies.

That's just anecdotal evidence. My experience is clearly different to yours, hence our differing views. I would be disappointed insofar as I look forward to taking my son to football matches, etc. If, in the unlikely case, my son is not sporty, I will be somewhat disappointed but it will make no difference to my overall role as a parent.

Well we disagree again, I think they do care. As for the rest of that paragraph; it is all obvious and didn't even need to be said.
Reply 184
Original post by miser
Compassion, justice, humility, love, etc...

Those are subjective concepts. I could say we need all of that for animals - so let us not eat meat. Or that I want my son or daughter to lead a life they are physically designed for, to have the joy of children , ect so I could use the same principals you have. Do you have any objective principles, which you are using, i.e rights, rules, precepts?
Reply 185
Those are subjective concepts. I could say we need all of that for animals - so let us not eat meat.

Good idea. Let's only kill when we need to.

Or that I want my son or daughter to lead a life they are physically designed for, to have the joy of children , ect so I could use the same principals you have.

There is no reason to believe we are 'designed', and even if we were, we are free creatures able to make our own decisions.

Do you have any objective principles, which you are using, i.e rights, rules, precepts?

Sure. Here is one:
Any action, intentionally committed, made in the presence of an understanding of its expected consequences, whose intended effect would naturally lead to the unnecessary harm or the unjust suffering of another, that is committed in the absence of unreasonable coercion, nor is committed as a result of a choice deemed to be the lesser of evils, ought rightly and universally, irrespective of time or culture, be declared immoral.

Persecution of homosexual people would contravene it.
i wouldnt mind at all. the only thing i would be concerned about is how they were treated by others...got to raise them to be strong people so they can be confident in themselves. also, id make them adopt!! hahaha. i would be disappointed if my children didnt want kids...family is the most important thing in my life, and i want it to continue. however, it is completely their choice so i wouldnt be annoyed or angry or try and convince them otherwise - thatd just be mean.
Original post by Perseveranze
Not really, my kids won't be in the kind of environment that tends to play a huge part in determining this unusual orientation.

The womb?

Reply 188
Carry on being a dad
Original post by Bluffroom
do not pretend to be male! If you are show us proof! :hubba:

*Pulls pants down* Here's your proof! :u:
Original post by ForgetMe
*Pulls pants down* Here's your proof! :u:

I don't accept pretend proof as currency. Pics or gtfo :holmes: :sexface:
I don't accept pretend proof as currency. Pics or gtfo :holmes: :sexface:

Pics of what? :K:
Pics of what? :K:

Pics of proof. :h:
Pics of proof. :h:

Sorry, I don't give out pictures that expose nudity to strangers :tongue:
Reply 194
Original post by Bulbasaur
The womb?

False. Homosexuality is not hard-wired. No-one is born gay. Nurture makes one gay. [h="2"]“Homosexuality Is Not Hardwired,” Concludes Head of The Human Genome Project[/h]http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive//ldn/2007/mar/07032003.
(edited 11 years ago)
Be overjoyed!

Finally I would have someone to re-watch episodes of Will and Grace with.
I'd be cool with it, different strokes for different folks. I'd try to have a chat about what to do if they encounter any prejudice. I'd probably have the regular cringey, safe sex chats and make sure they weren't being bullied, but I'd have that with my kids regardless of sexuality.

If I'm ever a dad, I hope my kids are never scared of telling me the truth, whether it's about sexuality, grades, drugs, or anything considered a tough topic to approach.
It is not as simple as that at all. Having a hair color plays minimal effect on ones life. Its also totally genetic. Homosexuality is not genetic , or hardwired.

Who are you to say this, you don't have a pHD in this field and as you said there is no definitive answer, but there is evidence backing up theories and assumptions - it may not be genetic but it's definitely biological.

Finally, the whole purpose one reproduces is to pass on their genes. If we look at this all dispassionately, your entire body is designed to ensure your survival and that you reproduce so your genes can survive through your children. Homosexuality means that your children will not have kids.

I'm sorry but are you serious? Gay men can have children - furthermore, they can have biological children through egg donation and a surrogate - and hopefully soon, it could be possible for both parents to be biological parents through scientific advances.

If they decide to have them. Only one of the parents will be the mother or father and I don’t even need to specify the social and psychological effects on the child.

BS, most children from same-sex couples have great childhoods, the only reason for them to have psychological damage would be from hearing the crap people like you spew.
Sorry, I don't give out pictures that expose nudity to strangers :tongue:

I'm no stranger :O
I wouldn't mind to be fair, as long as they were happy.

Latest