The Student Room Group

How much revision should i do over easter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yaboy
Im not calling you an idiot but Im doing A2 at the moment and managed to get 3As and a D (lol thats what you get starting revision 1 day before the exam) at AS and I would not say you needed to revise 6 hours. Ill admit it depends on the subject I got an A in religous studies AS but Ill accept there is no way im coming out with an A overall because I know how hard the 2 june exams are. It depends on how you distribute your time tbh. I spend most of it on maths but i still find maths the easiest subject out of the 3 I do. As for you im not sure how to explain you doing the work and coming out with an E, a lot of these exams are to do with luck and your performance on the day just because you flopped some of your exams does not make you an idiot

maths, further maths, physics
Reply 21
Original post by study beats
maths, further maths, physics

How the hell do you manage to get Es (Cs and Bs ok) when revising 6 hours a day for subjects like that?

You sure your doing enough work within that time and not just dosing off?
Reply 22
Original post by LeonVII
French, Maths and Chemistry (dropped English lit after AS and got an A in it)

How do you revise for A2 French and Chem?
Original post by Blob2491
How do you revise for A2 French and Chem?

For the French written exam, we werent given past papers, so the only real way I could revise was going over vocab which didnt take very long. For the essay on the written paper I looked over many 'practice essays' we had been forced to do over the past year.

Chemistry was a lot tougher, but the only real way I revised was going through my notes. Most of my classmates went through past papers, but I found that to not really help me. Although I guess it was easier for me cos I have a natural talent for chemistry and could get it into my head easier. That's why I went on to do it at Uni lol.
Reply 24
Original post by LeonVII
For the French written exam, we werent given past papers, so the only real way I could revise was going over vocab which didnt take very long. For the essay on the written paper I looked over many 'practice essays' we had been forced to do over the past year.

Chemistry was a lot tougher, but the only real way I revised was going through my notes. Most of my classmates went through past papers, but I found that to not really help me. Although I guess it was easier for me cos I have a natural talent for chemistry and could get it into my head easier. That's why I went on to do it at Uni lol.

yeh I bet your part of the KKK aswell
Original post by yaboy
yeh I bet your part of the KKK aswell

Haha I dont even know why youre doing this racist trolling thing :hahaha:
Reply 26
Original post by LeonVII
Haha I dont even know why youre doing this racist trolling thing :hahaha:

i got a u in chemistry this january
Original post by iamgreatness
i got a u in chemistry this january

Seriously?! Why, lack of revision or do you just hate the subject?
Reply 28
It IS possible to overdo studying. If you try and do too much in one go you lose a certain amount of concentration and take less in. I would say at the beginning of the holidays try and get as much of your course work and extended project done as possible. Break studying down into bite size pieces with regular breaks some just short ones to get a glass of water for example. With longer breaks factored in each day to get something to eat and do something relaxing and or fun. Getting some exercise and fresh air are good for you when you are studying as is getting adequate nutrition.
Reply 29
Original post by LeonVII

So for French would you just advise going through vocab and past essay q? what about for the oral and listening?

Chemistry is okay, I just read it and remember most of it!
Reply 30
Original post by shonaT
It IS possible to overdo studying. If you try and do too much in one go you lose a certain amount of concentration and take less in. I would say at the beginning of the holidays try and get as much of your course work and extended project done as possible. Break studying down into bite size pieces with regular breaks some just short ones to get a glass of water for example. With longer breaks factored in each day to get something to eat and do something relaxing and or fun. Getting some exercise and fresh air are good for you when you are studying as is getting adequate nutrition.

It is always better to do 2 weeks of revision with an hour a day rather than 1 week of revision with 2 hours aday.
Original post by Blob2491
So for French would you just advise going through vocab and past essay q? what about for the oral and listening?

Chemistry is okay, I just read it and remember most of it!

Yh for french vocab is important, especially the writing, the more sophisticated words you use, the higher the grade :biggrin:

Im not sure how it is at your school, but at mine, for the oral we had quite a few practice exams, so by the time we got to the exam we knew it pretty well. Also, as silly as it may seem, I would kinda walk round my room and speak about the topics to thin air. It's quite good to get to know what bits you need to improve and it also test your explanation skills. If you speak it in such a way that you clearly know what youre saying then youre on the right track.

There's no way to revise for listening other than just doing loads of past paper listening exams. Thankfully my school provided many of those.
Reply 32
i didnt revise every day, was hard with my house being full of other people and me not having a desk or my own room to work in. when i did work i maybe did 4-6 hours, with about 2 hrs of breaks. i read books, made notes from the books, like wrote out all my books into notes of only the essential info - cutting out as much irrelevant stuff as possible. did all the practice papers there were, and got my dad to read and discuss the text books with me. he didnt do a levels so it helped me as i had to explain some stuff to him (but then he also helped me with stuff coz he knows some physics and biology from some of the jobs hes had).
do as much revision as you think you need. if youre getting stressed about exams, its coz youve not done enough work. i was never stressed for exams as i knew that i knew my stuff - and i have quite a high stress threshold so i didnt freak myself out like my friends did. some of them had like a tonne of that herbal stuff to calm them down lol.
just make sure that you study properly, and do what works best for you.
Reply 33
Original post by LeonVII
Seriously?! Why, lack of revision or do you just hate the subject?

dont like my teacher and its hard and didnt revise
Reply 34
Original post by iamgreatness
dont like my teacher and its hard and didnt revise

If I sent you a picture of the report I got today from my teachers you would probably cry because of how much they hate me.
For my January A2 exams I did about 1.5 - 2 a day for two weeks (proper, focused revision). The key is to focus on what you are learning, rather than solely on the time spent doing it - 1 hour of past paper questions is way more useful than an half-arsed 4 hours of reading notes.
Reply 36
Well I am doing IGCSE's (yr 11) so a stage below you but is harder than GCSE and I am predicted all A*'s apart from an A in french... I am doing about 6 hours of work but a bit more because I was ill for the finally week of term so I am currently catching up with work. Also, our school recommended doing 4 hours for IGCSE. As I have made revision notes continuously for the past 2 years I only have to make notes on the work I missed and finish 1 or 2 topics than I will start doing my Art exam prep and past papers. Hope that helped, Good luck!x
Does anyone know anything about titration? I though it was on the As Specs for chem not GCSE!
Reply 37
it is possible. my maximum record was 15 hours a day..and i had 5 cans of Red Bull....turned out i still couldnt get A grades and came out with some Cs and Es

and yes i do A levels..plz explain my failures?

Dislike people like you who tries to turn their failure to someone! No one will exlain you what you did, only you know the truth! Did you jusr read through book and not bothered to actually memorize notes? Not enough past papers? Did you hope the themes you didn't quite get won't come up in exam?
Reply 38
it is possible. my maximum record was 15 hours a day..and i had 5 cans of Red Bull....turned out i still couldnt get A grades and came out with some Cs and Es

and yes i do A levels..plz explain my failures?

think I need redbull this time around. 10 exams and motivation definitely lower than its ever been.
Reply 39
Original post by cdoyle
think I need redbull this time around. 10 exams and motivation definitely lower than its ever been.

wat grades u in and r u a2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending