The Student Room Group

Hardest thing about driving?

What did you struggle with the most during lessons. When I say struggle, I mean you kept finding it difficult lesson after lesson. For me, personally it was the whole stopping on top of a steep hill and creeping forward. The 'death roll' would always knock my confidence and I remember stalling once when there was a bunch of teenage girls staring at me:facepalm: I stalled a good three or four times and I totally lose my confidence because of those giggling girls. My instructor had to use dual control and get me out of there. Needless to say he gave me a good *******ing and made me go back to that hill, I reved the car up like crazy but I did it:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

It's difficult to say. When I first started it was really hard to do everything whilst keeping an eye out for other cars.
Parallel parking was an issue for me, I used to come in too close to the kerb and have to start over again, but in real life if you touch the kerb it's no big deal as long as there's nobody walking on the pavement at the time.
Reply 3
I still can't reverse park into a bay or reverse into a space between two cars. Take that so called rigorous driving test!
Hill starts for definite.
Reply 5
Original post by pinda.college
What did you struggle with the most during lessons. When I say struggle, I mean you kept finding it difficult lesson after lesson. For me, personally it was the whole stopping on top of a steep hill and creeping forward. The 'death roll' would always knock my confidence and I remember stalling once when there was a bunch of teenage girls staring at me:facepalm: I stalled a good three or four times and I totally lose my confidence because of those giggling girls. My instructor had to use dual control and get me out of there. Needless to say he gave me a good *******ing and made me go back to that hill, I reved the car up like crazy but I did it:biggrin:

Planning ahead was always my problem and bay parking.
Original post by Norton1
I still can't reverse park into a bay or reverse into a space between two cars. Take that so called rigorous driving test!

I hate reversing into spaces- I always miss the lines so I have to go forward and backwards lots of times, shuffling along until I get in the lines. I like to park where there are no lines, or in car parks where they have two rows I will drive round until I find two spaces empty and drive through it and park on the furthest one.

Original post by amyshamblesxx
Hill starts for definite.

Really? Just add a bit more gas than normal and when the front of the car dips release the handbrake and add a bit more gas.
Reply 7
Road position on roundabouts. I STILL struggle with this, especially if i'm on the outside lane, my brain doesn't like circles apparently. I have to actually feel like i'm doing it wrong to do it right, weirdly.
Original post by Runninground
I hate reversing into spaces- I always miss the lines so I have to go forward and backwards lots of times, shuffling along until I get in the lines. I like to park where there are no lines, or in car parks where they have two rows I will drive round until I find two spaces empty and drive through it and park on the furthest one.

Really? Just add a bit more gas than normal and when the front of the car dips release the handbrake and add a bit more gas.

Yes I know how to do them now but when I was a learner I struggled and would panic about rolling backwards, especially if there was a car behind me.
Reply 9
Ridiculous as it sounds... pulling forward into a bay :eek: Could reverse into the bay but pulling forward just never worked... luckily I can do that now at long last lol. Now I live in Holland, I sometimes have to drive as part of my job... my biggest problem is remembering where the gear stick is lol
Other drivers.
During my lessons I was amazingly good at coming to a stop, but changing down into any gear was my killer. The amount of times I'd changed down into 1st instead of 3rd is uncountable.

Ohhh, and controlling my rage at other idiotic drivers.
Reply 12
Original post by Runninground
It's difficult to say. When I first started it was really hard to do everything whilst keeping an eye out for other cars.

This. Did my lessons and test in a manual. Now drive an automatic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I never had a problem with hill starts, to me I just needed to get to the biting point and hold it there while releasing the handbrake. No rolling back atall.

However what I find the hardest is busy roundabouts, there are so many round where I live and you have to look in so many directions at the same time. :s-smilie:
Original post by lbsf1
I never had a problem with hill starts, to me I just needed to get to the biting point and hold it there while releasing the handbrake. No rolling back atall.

However what I find the hardest is busy roundabouts, there are so many round where I live and you have to look in so many directions at the same time. :s-smilie:

You only look right for a gap:confused:
I used to be so bad at turning left, i'd always be too wide or too close
It used to annoy me so much
Left reverse around a corner was the one thing that took me ages to get the hang of - for some reason I found it really hard to tell whether my instructor's car was straight or not! Despite this, though, I did a perfect one on my test :tongue:
Roundabouts. My brain seems to just shut down on approach. :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by pinda.college
You only look right for a gap:confused:

I get what you mean however it is still really difficult :frown: :frown:. I have to anticipate the gap because I still can't pull away in an instant.
If the roundabout has three lanes i hate being in the inside lane. However if its got two then i don't mind as much, a bit weird i know.

I used to hate roundabouts, my test center is focused around 2 bigish roundabouts. But i didn't even get them on my test just 4 mini roundabouts so when i passed and i was scared because i hadn't shown him if i could do it or not. But now roundabouts don't bother me at all, i think it's because my cars quite nippy and pulls out super fast so that's one less thing to worry about i just have to look for the gap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending