The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by minimarshmallow
You do know that one of the environmental factors that can 'activate' a genetic predisposition for homosexuality (as the human genome guy says, he doesn't say it's all nurture, but an interaction of the two) is levels of testosterone in the womb?

The issue here is, sexuality is such a subjective topic. I.e what people like and do not like. It can be developed, conditioned, though choices one makes. To account for the absolute lack of any scientific proof of people actually being born gay, there is an assumption made that it is done through nature, and that unknown/non-evidenced components *may* be 'activated'. So far there is no proof of that. All we do know is that nurture plays the strongest role and there is no evidence of any genetic components. We have zoophillics mating with animals. One could equally argue that there is no genetic link, but nurture turns on natural biological factors. Sexually is entirely subjective. All we do know is we are born with specific designs to mate with the opposite sex.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bluffroom
I've posted pictures of me on this forum - I've gave proof.

Link to the proof? Well, I've posted pictures as well :gfight:
Reply 222
Original post by jam277
I'd love and support them, I'd be disappointed but at the same time I'd be happy that they had the courage to come out to me.

Would your views change at all if I told you they weren't 'born' gay, nor were they 'coming' out?
Original post by ForgetMe
Link to the proof? Well, I've posted pictures as well :gfight:

LGBT Chat XII, LGBT Chat XI, Year 11 Chat III

have fun looking
I think homosexuality is an inbetween of genes and environment. More so due to environment than genes. Since sexuality is so fluid anyway it's hard to say what defines being gay for sure. E.g. I'm sure that I've found guys hot, even curious in what gay sex would be like but I'd never do it since I love girls way way more. But it goes to show how sexuality isn't such a rigid thing such as eye colour e.g.

Original post by MENDACIUM
Would your views change at all if I told you they weren't 'born' gay, nor were they 'coming' out?

No it wouldn't. Also I think it's a mixture of environment and genes so they wouldn't necessarily be born to be gay, they'd might have a higher propensity to become gay but then again this is all speculation with no full proof.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MENDACIUM
The issue here is, sexuality is such a subjective topic. I.e what people like and do not like. It can be developed, conditioned, though choices one makes. To account for the absolute lack of any scientific proof of people actually being born gay, there is an assumption made that it is done through nature, and that unknown/non-evidenced components *may* be 'activated'. So far there is no proof of that. All we do know is that nurture plays the strongest role and there is no evidence of any genetic components. We have zoophillics mating with animals. One could equally argue that there is no genetic link, but nurture turns on natural biological factors. Sexually is entirely subjective. All we do know is we are born with specific designs to mate with the opposite sex.

None of this means that people can't be born gay. It does mean there's no strict gene, like the genome guy said, but doesn't mean people aren't born gay. And you keep saying as a blanket thing that people aren't born gay and that they choose to be gay and telling other people they're wrong.
As for the bold, that's what the human genome guy is saying.
You keep saying it's all nurture and that it's a choice. Well we don't choose our environment, which you pointed out very nicely when you said you'd try and control your child's environment to keep them from being gay. The choices they make may lead them to the specific environment that activates their predisposition to be gay, but that isn't the same as choosing to be gay.
LGBT Chat XII, LGBT Chat XI, Year 11 Chat III

have fun looking

Upload again :K:
Upload again :K:

I deleted the pics/from a different phone?
I deleted the pics/from a different phone?

Take a picture again :K: Nevermind, found already :gfight:
(edited 11 years ago)
Take a picture again :K:

No - my hair is crap atm, I'm busy and I will in Berlin.
It wouldn't bother me personally, I'd probably be a bit shocked at first just like any other parent would be but it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to how much I love them.
My fiancée on the other hand, I don't know how he'd react. He's not homophobic, he says live and let live, but I can't imagine he would be overly delighted with it if it were his own child. He wouldn't love them any less but I imagine he would be a bit uncomfortable with it at first.
Reply 231
Pistol-whip them
Still love them unconditionally.
Treat them no differently.
Accept their choices and welcome their partners.

My children are my most precious treasures.
Reply 233
What would I do if I found out my (future) kids were gay? Nothing. Why would I do anything? It's totally normal and would not change the way I thought about them in any way.
All this talk of 'biological design' for the opposite sex in this thread is fatally misguided; all we really have is a reward system intended to incentivise us to copulate by associating the act with pleasure. Sexuality is multifarious and the norm is dictated only by the society in which we live (contrast pederasty in Ancient Greece to modern perceptions of such relationships). Ergo, the only things that would upset me to discover that my child is gay are the hardships he/she will face from an intolerant society.
Reply 235
Original post by minimarshmallow
None of this means that people can't be born gay. It does mean there's no strict gene, like the genome guy said, but doesn't mean people aren't born gay. And you keep saying as a blanket thing that people aren't born gay and that they choose to be gay and telling other people they're wrong.
As for the bold, that's what the human genome guy is saying.
You keep saying it's all nurture and that it's a choice. Well we don't choose our environment, which you pointed out very nicely when you said you'd try and control your child's environment to keep them from being gay. The choices they make may lead them to the specific environment that activates their predisposition to be gay, but that isn't the same as choosing to be gay.

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence - you're right. However, of all the tests being done there is just no link to any of it being from nature. Any link made is subjective. There have been MANY tests, and not a single one has found any link. The issue is so much more complicated than that though. Humans beings are sentient - we have consciousness and free-will. People can have sex with animals, choose to be cannibals ect. Their nurture influences their mind, their views, their ideas. It takes a simple re-evaluation of ones belief, and keeping away from influences to shape your mind relatively better in my view. If - from a young age- was around racists, taught to hate a certain race, grew up, throughout history, we see such members of society also becoming racist - not all or most, but it certainly has an influence. Teaching your kids the right values, encouraging debates, discussion, allowing them to go to a good school, making sure they do not make friends with the wrong group and understand how to make good choices is all part of nurture. By the experiences you choose to engage in, you shape your likes and dislikes. It's all conditioning, and we humans have every hand in it. You see people in drugs and violence because they were under the influence of bad friends, who hated the law and society, choosing to come out of that. They had every hand in making their decision to associate with a different group and change their views and perceptions.
Reply 236
Original post by KimberleyE21
it will be drilled into him

:sexface:

from an early age

:gasp:
It wouldn't bother me at all, I'd love them just the same.
Original post by Magwen
What would you do if your children are homosexual

Love them?
Reply 239
Original post by MostUncivilised
Love them?

Try to cure them.

Latest