The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Alcuin, James, or Vanbrugh College?

What are the pros and cons of each college? (In terms of accommodation, social life, and proximity to the main campus)

And what do you personally prefer? :smile: I know we can't choose colleges, but I'd at least have something to wish for.

Scroll to see replies

Alcuin is probably the least central, but it isn't like it's far. James and Vanbrugh are both very central, particularly old Vanbrugh as you can't get closer to the lake without being in it.

Never been inside Alcuin or James but as far as I know all their accommodation is higher price band (apart from James N) so probably about the same as each other. Vanbrugh has a mix of price bands, and probably owns the oldest and most basic campus accommodation - it's not exactly classy but I lived in it and loved every minute. I hear posh Vanbrugh is pretty fancy though.

Social life is what you make of it. College doesn't matter a bit.
University of York
York
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure we can choose a college
Reply 3
Original post by alexmagpie
Social life is what you make of it. College doesn't matter a bit.

That is true. But from what I've read it seemed as if Alcuin had a lot of areas that are bothersome to just pass by because of the key card system. I really have no idea, as I've never visited. The quietness of Alcuin everyone talks about sounds lovely, but at the same time quite lonely, so I'm a bit hesitant here.
Reply 4
Original post by Redolent
I'm pretty sure we can choose a college

Is that so? Then this makes choosing even more worrying.
Original post by heynikki
That is true. But from what I've read it seemed as if Alcuin had a lot of areas that are bothersome to just pass by because of the key card system. I really have no idea, as I've never visited. The quietness of Alcuin everyone talks about sounds lovely, but at the same time quite lonely, so I'm a bit hesitant here.

This is one massive pro of old Vanbrugh, in my eyes - instead of flats it had open plan floors, about 40 people on each. Certain doors were keycarded, for security, but your keycard could get you through any door in the block (apart from obviously into people's personal rooms). I don't think the newer blocks have this system, I think you just have to stick to your own flat and knock on other people's doors (which is boring)
Reply 6
Is that so? Then this makes choosing even more worrying.

Yeah, I was reading about it a few minutes before I saw the thread :tongue:

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/undergraduates/ug-accomm-summary/

"When you apply for accommodation you will usually be able to choose a college, let length and room type."

I'm probably going to go for Derwent but Vanbrugh would likely be my backup
Reply 7
This is one massive pro of old Vanbrugh, in my eyes - instead of flats it had open plan floors, about 40 people on each. Certain doors were keycarded, for security, but your keycard could get you through any door in the block (apart from obviously into people's personal rooms). I don't think the newer blocks have this system, I think you just have to stick to your own flat and knock on other people's doors (which is boring)

That sounds much better. Does it ever get too noisy though? I've lived in a quiet suburb all my life, so though I hate extended silences, I still do enjoy a bit of peace now and again.

Yeah, I was reading about it a few minutes before I saw the thread :tongue:

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/undergraduates/ug-accomm-summary/

"When you apply for accommodation you will usually be able to choose a college, let length and room type."

I'm probably going to go for Derwent but Vanbrugh would likely be my backup

I went on to look at the guide, and I don't even know if I want a standard or en-suite anymore. But thanks!

Derwent sounded like a good place to stay as well, but the lack of shelf space on the sample photos kind of bothered me. I need all the clutter space I can get :tongue:
Reply 8
This is one massive pro of old Vanbrugh, in my eyes - instead of flats it had open plan floors, about 40 people on each. Certain doors were keycarded, for security, but your keycard could get you through any door in the block (apart from obviously into people's personal rooms).

That's what Derwent is like too, right?
That's what Derwent is like too, right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the same

That sounds much better. Does it ever get too noisy though? I've lived in a quiet suburb all my life, so though I hate extended silences, I still do enjoy a bit of peace now and again.

I went on to look at the guide, and I don't even know if I want a standard or en-suite anymore. But thanks!

Derwent sounded like a good place to stay as well, but the lack of shelf space on the sample photos kind of bothered me. I need all the clutter space I can get :tongue:

No noisier than anywhere else I don't think. It's not one massive block party, people tend to form smaller groups and aren't too noisy. The walls are very thin, but that's a hazard of all halls of residence.
Reply 10
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the same

No noisier than anywhere else I don't think. It's not one massive block party, people tend to form smaller groups and aren't too noisy. The walls are very thin, but that's a hazard of all halls of residence.

Thank you very much for your input then! Now I'm just hoping to hear from Alcuin and James residents
Reply 11
Thank you very much for your input then! Now I'm just hoping to hear from Alcuin and James residents

I'm in Alcuin, and it's not at all as anti-social as people make it out to be. Everyone I know in Alcuin enjoys going out just as much as friends in other colleges and my block isn't at all quiet. Yes, you do need keycards to get into other blocks, but people are generally fine with just letting you in anyway, it's never been an issue for me at least. It isn't as loud as Derwent, but then, I don't think I'd want it to be.

As for other things, I find how close Alcuin is to the library useful and it's no more than a 5-10 minute walk to places like Vanburgh, James, Derwent and market square.

Plus it has rabbits and they're adorable. :tongue:
Reply 12
None of the above - CHOOSE HALIFAX :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Plonk
I'm in Alcuin, and it's not at all as anti-social as people make it out to be. Everyone I know in Alcuin enjoys going out just as much as friends in other colleges and my block isn't at all quiet. Yes, you do need keycards to get into other blocks, but people are generally fine with just letting you in anyway, it's never been an issue for me at least. It isn't as loud as Derwent, but then, I don't think I'd want it to be.

As for other things, I find how close Alcuin is to the library useful and it's no more than a 5-10 minute walk to places like Vanburgh, James, Derwent and market square.

Plus it has rabbits and they're adorable. :tongue:

Oh! Other blocks; I always thought they meant you needed keycards for literally everywhere. And I do love bunnies :tongue:

Alcuin was actually my first choice, but I thought it might be easier to get by somewhere in the centre of the university. Hence my current indecision-related dilemma :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by flutegirl
None of the above - CHOOSE HALIFAX :biggrin:

I honestly didn't bother doing my research on other colleges because it'd make deciding even harder. I looked at the 360 room view of Halifax, and my god, that is the best room I've seen so far. The shelf space, and desk are HUGE! What are the college, location, and events like?
Reply 15
I honestly didn't bother doing my research on other colleges because it'd make deciding even harder. I looked at the 360 room view of Halifax, and my god, that is the best room I've seen so far. The shelf space, and desk are HUGE! What are the college, location, and events like?

YAY! this makes me happy :smile: I know what you mean, Halifax rooms are so big, really spacious and really modern. I genuinely think we have some of the best accommodation on campus. To be honest, NO ONE really chooses to live in Halifax College. In my house of 11 people, none of us wanted Halifax accommodation but by the time we were able to apply, it was the only accommodation left so we had no choice but to live there. I was like you - hadn't even looked at anything that wasn't Vanbrugh, Alcuin or James but I am REALLY glad I live in Halifax now! :smile: Think it is seen as being away from the action as it's a little bit off campus which is the reason people don't really go for it but the fact it's not right on campus is not an issue at all. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I really enjoy the 10 min walk to and from campus each day (and ten minutes really is all it is).
Also, the way the blocks are set out at Halifax is just lovely. The houses (and yes, they are houses as opposed to flats!) are arranged in lots of little courts, like little courtyards which are really pretty and you just feel like part of a community living there. There are really large houses in St Lawrence Court with 20 people in each but the houses in other courts range from having like 8 -12 people I think.
The college events are fine. We don't have the reputation for being the most sociable college but at the same time, Halifax are far from unsociable. It's the biggest college so the events that are put on are usually pretty well-attended and they are usually good enough. And our Freshers week events were really well planned, I thought!
Anyway, I really do recommend Halifax college to you and am really pleased you are now considering it! EVERYONE I live with now was actually disappointed to find that Halifax was the only accommodation we could apply for but now, after living there for two terms, we are all so happy we ended up there. I don't think there would be many people who would have anything bad to say about living there.
Anyway, that's my contribution to your decision-making although it's still a long while before you'll even get to apply! Although being prepared in advance is definitely a good idea because last year I wasn't and ended up living in Halifax knowing nothing about it! Any other questions, just let me know but I hope I have sold living in Halifax to you! :smile:
Reply 16
Langwith. Double Beds. That is all.
Reply 17
Original post by flutegirl
YAY! this makes me happy :smile: I know what you mean, Halifax rooms are so big, really spacious and really modern. I genuinely think we have some of the best accommodation on campus. To be honest, NO ONE really chooses to live in Halifax College. In my house of 11 people, none of us wanted Halifax accommodation but by the time we were able to apply, it was the only accommodation left so we had no choice but to live there. I was like you - hadn't even looked at anything that wasn't Vanbrugh, Alcuin or James but I am REALLY glad I live in Halifax now! :smile: Think it is seen as being away from the action as it's a little bit off campus which is the reason people don't really go for it but the fact it's not right on campus is not an issue at all. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I really enjoy the 10 min walk to and from campus each day (and ten minutes really is all it is).
Also, the way the blocks are set out at Halifax is just lovely. The houses (and yes, they are houses as opposed to flats!) are arranged in lots of little courts, like little courtyards which are really pretty and you just feel like part of a community living there. There are really large houses in St Lawrence Court with 20 people in each but the houses in other courts range from having like 8 -12 people I think.
The college events are fine. We don't have the reputation for being the most sociable college but at the same time, Halifax are far from unsociable. It's the biggest college so the events that are put on are usually pretty well-attended and they are usually good enough. And our Freshers week events were really well planned, I thought!
Anyway, I really do recommend Halifax college to you and am really pleased you are now considering it! EVERYONE I live with now was actually disappointed to find that Halifax was the only accommodation we could apply for but now, after living there for two terms, we are all so happy we ended up there. I don't think there would be many people who would have anything bad to say about living there.
Anyway, that's my contribution to your decision-making although it's still a long while before you'll even get to apply! Although being prepared in advance is definitely a good idea because last year I wasn't and ended up living in Halifax knowing nothing about it! Any other questions, just let me know but I hope I have sold living in Halifax to you! :smile:

That sounds absolutely lovely, and you really seem to love it there as well! Halifax will definitely be one of my top choices. D'you get a lot of internationals there? Being an international student myself, I think I'd be more comfortable if I wasn't the only non-UK resident. :tongue: (Which is one of the main reasons James is first preference)

And also, what exactly is the difference between the houses and flats in York? Aside from the larger bedrooms, I honestly couldn't tell them apart :confused:

Original post by Benny100
Langwith. Double Beds. That is all.

With my size, I don't think lack of bedspace would ever be a problem though :tongue:
Reply 18
Choose Derwent.

Derwent is like that one relative you see every couple of years at family reunions. There's the unusual smell and large amounts of asbestos, but you know we're heaps more fun than anything else.
Reply 19
Original post by Eldedu
Choose Derwent.

Derwent is like that one relative you see every couple of years at family reunions. There's the unusual smell and large amounts of asbestos, but you know we're heaps more fun than anything else.

Large amounts of asbestos? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending