The Student Room Group

Guys: do you find girly girls attractive?

I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly bitchy or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something

into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl

able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)

not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games

very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts

friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.

more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)

get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?

play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)

very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

From just the title I would've said yes.

But then I read your post and you sound pretty insufferable tbh
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just curious. I understand it's hard to define but do you mind if girls are really feminine? I'm currently single though I haven't had much of a problem finding a boyfriend before, but some guys I've dated (usually the more intellectual ones) have mentioned/hinted that they aren't so keen on someone girly for various reasons. I'm not particularly bitchy or a drama queen but they seem to assume I'll be like that.

I'm pretty hard-working, well-read and love playing sports, but being feminine is who I am (my parents brought me up to be a tomboy and I kind of rebelled against that). Having said that, I'm not sure if my personality is putting off a lot of nice guys so is there anything unattractive about the below personality traits? I'm-

very into fashion, slightly vain though don't wear make-up except on nights out. I'm "high-maintenance" in the sense that I put a lot of effort into my appearance but I'm not the type to tell a guy off for messing up my hair or something

into popular music and culture and tend to watch tv shows such as Gossip Girl

able to stand up for myself directly but often come across as quite emotional (e.g. I was watching one of my guy friends play rugby the other day, he got tackled and looked injured and I screamed and clapped my hand over my mouth)

not a big fan of chasing after guys and prefer to just be friends with them and let them express interest if they want, though I don't play games

very petite and usually wear dresses and skirts

friends with both guys and girls but (without sounding sexist) prefer to hang out with my female friends (and those who are equally girly) because we share interests like clothes/make-up etc.

more interested in talking about stuff like celebrity gossip and what's happening in my friend groups than stuff that's strictly academic, though I can hold my own in an academic conversation too (I'm president of the Model UN society)

get annoyed when girls say they get on better with guys "because there is less drama" - how can you be a girl and not respect your own gender?

play a lot of sports but most are stereotypically girly ones like dance and cheerleading (they offer it at my uni)

very active on FB etc. and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". I can speak with perfectly good grammar, though - I feel it's just part of the fun of being a girl

Thank you :smile:

The only thing that used to bug me about my ex, was the way she changed her personality on a night out. She would usually be quite casual, but she would take ages to get ready to go on a night out, and it made her less attractive to me personally. The whole fake tan, eye liner, bigger eyebrows and lots of lipstick doesn't do it for me.

You don't sound too bad though to be honest :smile:
Reply 3
''and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". ''

LOL.

Oh and you can be feminine without being girly.

PS. cheerleading ain't a sport
xoxo
so...generic :nothing:
Reply 5
Original post by PinkyQT
''and am the sort of person who takes a lot of photos with my friends of us pouting and stuff and makes comments like "you look great babes x". ''

LOL.

Oh and you can be feminine without being girly.

PS. cheerleading ain't a sport
xoxo

I can see why you have so many neg reps xD :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by purplerainn
so...generic :nothing:

I actually have a load of academic interests (I'm really keen on certain areas of history and like I said I'm pres of Model UN) and a personality; I just find it more appealing to be girly. It's not to conform with other girls (most of my friends aren't like this) and it's not to attract guys, either (the "lad" types don't really seem to care and like I said the geeky ones don't seem to like it).
I guess there is a line that can be drawn for everybody.

If I like a girl I don't care what TV she is watching, if she likes cheap over produced crap, fine, I don't care. I can't think why anybody would have a problem with girls being feminine and wearing skirts.

What does bother me maybe (sorry) is when girls are overly dramatic. Ie you mention the screaming and acting shocked. Fair enough if it is a crunching tackle and everybody seems shocked that is fine but acting shocked on the pretence you are a girl is really quite annoying. The same goes for the Facebook thing, I don't care if you compliment your friends or whatever but the "OMGGGG I NEED UR EYES BBY GAL" "NO U" "NO I NEED URS" "OH YOU XXXX" strikes me as childish and really annoying.

And finally again if you want to talk about celebrity gossip that is cool! I sometimes care for celebs or take a slight interest, or similarly with football, sports or films, whatever, BUT, please don't limit it to everything. Can anybody put up with THAT girl who goes "What's a PRIME MINISTER? AHEHEHEHE". ?

Hope that helps.
Reply 8
Not my type personally. Somewhere between the word "babes" and a discussion about celebrity gossip I would probably start violently vomiting.
Reply 9
Most people just want to be with someone who can be themselves and not feel the need to compare themselves to others/put themselves into a 'social class'.
Not my type personally. Doesn't mean you're not a cool/awesome person though. Also depends on our definition of 'girly girls'. I don't mind them, but I'm approaching 22 (not that age has anything to do with it but..), whilst I do like feminine girls - I'm looking for a woman who doesn't act like a child. (not saying you do but yeah.)
Reply 11
'I'm not particularly bitchy or a drama queen'

'but often come across as quite emotional '

Which one is it?

You come across as self-obsessed and you seem desperate to be liked by everyone, not a good trait.
Reply 12
Original post by JoEdBo
'I'm not particularly bitchy or a drama queen'

'but often come across as quite emotional '

Which one is it?

You come across as self-obsessed and you seem desperate to be liked by everyone, not a good trait.

How does being emotional necessarily equate to being either bitchy or a drama queen? I don't stir up trouble between friends or pick on people - if anything I'm the peacemaker who always gets people to stop arguing and so on.

I can see why this thread seems a bit self-obsessive but I was genuinely curious, I don't see how I come across as "desperate to be liked by everyone".
Reply 13
How does being emotional necessarily equate to being either bitchy or a drama queen? I don't stir up trouble between friends or pick on people - if anything I'm the peacemaker who always gets people to stop arguing and so on.

I can see why this thread seems a bit self-obsessive but I was genuinely curious, I don't see how I come across as "desperate to be liked by everyone".

The example about the rugby gives me the impression you could be a drama queen.

I think the first reply sums you up perfectly.
I'm not a guy, but here are my two cents. Don't change yourself because you think that others want you to. This is your nature, and these are your hobbies and interests. If you enjoy 'girly' pursuits, go ahead and indulge in them, and be glad that you've found things you get satisfaction from. You're not harming anyone. A lot of people think that 'girliness' and intellect are mutually exclusive, which is absolutely not true. You're intellectually engaged yet have the time to have other hobbies and interests. I think it's really refreshing when people freely admit to their 'low-brow' interests, like reality TV or whatever. It shows that they don't take themselves too seriously. A lot of people are so desperate to pose as an intellectual that they'll sneer at others or make nasty remarks. It sounds like these 'intellectual' guys you have dated are some of those people.
Reply 15
Original post by JoEdBo
The example about the rugby gives me the impression you could be a drama queen.

I think the first reply sums you up perfectly.

You're reading an awful lot into one sentence. I wouldn't say sticking up for yourself against some random stranger on the Internet who makes a silly remark about a sport you spend 10 hours a week working hard at is bitchy. If anything I thought the post I was replying to seemed like a dig at me for no good reason (a lot of girls will add something like "xoxo" after a rude comment as a way of being a bit bitchier). In real life, no matter whether you're feminine or not, if you don't stand up to girls like that pretty much the only chance you have of a decent social life is with guys. I presume you're a guy so obviously your experience will be a bit different.

I don't really care what impression you have TBH - I can't control what others think of me :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
I'm not a guy, but here are my two cents. Don't change yourself because you think that others want you to. This is your nature, and these are your hobbies and interests. If you enjoy 'girly' pursuits, go ahead and indulge in them, and be glad that you've found things you get satisfaction from. You're not harming anyone. A lot of people think that 'girliness' and intellect are mutually exclusive, which is absolutely not true. You're intellectually engaged yet have the time to have other hobbies and interests. I think it's really refreshing when people freely admit to their 'low-brow' interests, like reality TV or whatever. It shows that they don't take themselves too seriously. A lot of people are so desperate to pose as an intellectual that they'll sneer at others or make nasty remarks. It sounds like these 'intellectual' guys you have dated are some of those people.

Yeah, I dated a guy from the debating club for a few weeks and he continually made fun of me for not watching popular "geeky" shows like Doctor Who or knowing about random little irrelevant facts from politics. I tried to talk to him about his interests, but he never seemed to want to know about mine. I've also had a lot of "intellectual" guys randomly ask stuff like "How did you even become President of Model UN?" when they hear me discuss stuff like clothes or make-up at length with my female friends.
Reply 17
I like girly girls to an extent but I don't like girls who gossip all the time and obsess over celebrities and tv shows. All that matters though is that their a good person.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
You're reading an awful lot into one sentence. I wouldn't say sticking up for yourself against some random stranger on the Internet who makes a silly remark about a sport you spend 10 hours a week working hard at is bitchy. If anything I thought the post I was replying to seemed like a dig at me for no good reason (a lot of girls will add something like "xoxo" after a rude comment as a way of being a bit bitchier). In real life, no matter whether you're feminine or not, if you don't stand up to girls like that pretty much the only chance you have of a decent social life is with guys. I presume you're a guy so obviously your experience will be a bit different.

I don't really care what impression you have TBH - I can't control what others think of me :smile:

You obviously misinterpreted what I said, my post was directed to the first reply in the thread, not your reply.
You're a walking stereotype :lol:

Sigh...*unzips*

Latest