The Student Room Group

Are these A-Levels good for a career in journalism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kousar
I've heard that to be often the case aswell, do you know why that is? You'd expect otherwise as you'd assume that a Journalism degree equips you with what you need as a journalist.

I'm no expert at universities, but I'm guessing it is because it is a new degree that has not had the chance to build up much of a reputation for itself. It also falls into the stereotype of the "soft choice" degree that many choose so that they can just enjoy the student life/cheap pot. Obviously this is not always the case but when it comes to job applications you want a reputable degree to put on you CV.
Also, to be frank, there are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of wannabe journalists leaving university each year. A more reputable degree such as English or History would not only increase your career prospects, but have the added bonus of having other useful applications in different job types in the statistically likely event of failure.
Reply 21
Original post by Kousar
That should be good. Languages is a brilliant A Level to do, it's highly regarded by many. I just wanted to ask, what make's you so sure you want to do journalism. I'm really interested to know, because journalism is one of the careers I've thought about but I am not sure. I am studying my A2 Levels at the moment, my subjects are: History, Literature and Philosophy and RS. And I've applied for Lit at uni (just to give you an insight).

I'd be interested in a response :smile:

PS- Cherish your year 11 moments! When you start studying your A Levels you'll know exactly what I mean!

Hello! Firstly, I'd just like to say that philosophy is one of the subjects I was going to do but the college I wish to go to doesn't do it :frown: Is it interesting though?

I think I've always wanted to be a journalist as I have a keen interest in the media - particularly magazines like Vanity Fair and ELLE. I enjoy discussing my interests (via Twitter and blogging) which include popular culture, fashion and lifestyle and I always like to know the latest story. In addition to this, I have quite an inquisitive mind and enjoy learning about subjects I'm not familiar with. Aside from English, my favourite subjects are geography and Spanish as I like to know about the world around me so I wouldn't mind being a travel writer/journalist of some sort.

I also have a question for you! Why did you decide to do English literature at uni? And if you did want to become a journalist, would you ever consider doing a degree in just journalism? Why/why not?
Reply 22
Original post by louise9
Hello! Firstly, I'd just like to say that philosophy is one of the subjects I was going to do but the college I wish to go to doesn't do it :frown: Is it interesting though?

I think I've always wanted to be a journalist as I have a keen interest in the media - particularly magazines like Vanity Fair and ELLE. I enjoy discussing my interests (via Twitter and blogging) which include popular culture, fashion and lifestyle and I always like to know the latest story. In addition to this, I have quite an inquisitive mind and enjoy learning about subjects I'm not familiar with. Aside from English, my favourite subjects are geography and Spanish as I like to know about the world around me so I wouldn't mind being a travel writer/journalist of some sort.

I also have a question for you! Why did you decide to do English literature at uni? And if you did want to become a journalist, would you ever consider doing a degree in just journalism? Why/why not?

It's amazing how we have both considered journalism but for totally different reasons! I always thought of using journalism as a means of 'exposing the truth', in an 'activist' kind of way. For example you get activists who work in Gaza and report about the reality of the Israel-Palestine conflict, (Harry Fear for example, you can look him up, he does independent work). I'm not into fashion or celebrity journalism, but hey,everyone has different interests! :smile:

Hmm, good question. I decided to do English Literature because I find words empowering and I love expression. And that's what Literature is about. Literature helps you articulate yourself and expands your knowledge on thematic issues. I wouldn't mind doing a journalism degree, but I wouldn't do it for the following reasons: the main one being because I'm unsure, so it'd be silly for me to do a degree in a one way path! and secondly because degree's like English Literature (amongst many others, 'solid' degree courses) are more highly valued. And according to what I've heard, it is preferred if you have a degree like this and then go into journalism.

Hope I have answered your question sufficiently! :smile:
Original post by Kousar
It's amazing how we have both considered journalism but for totally different reasons! I always thought of using journalism as a means of 'exposing the truth', in an 'activist' kind of way. For example you get activists who work in Gaza and report about the reality of the Israel-Palestine conflict, (Harry Fear for example, you can look him up, he does independent work). I'm not into fashion or celebrity journalism, but hey,everyone has different interests! :smile:

Hmm, good question. I decided to do English Literature because I find words empowering and I love expression. And that's what Literature is about. Literature helps you articulate yourself and expands your knowledge on thematic issues. I wouldn't mind doing a journalism degree, but I wouldn't do it for the following reasons: the main one being because I'm unsure, so it'd be silly for me to do a degree in a one way path! and secondly because degree's like English Literature (amongst many others, 'solid' degree courses) are more highly valued. And according to what I've heard, it is preferred if you have a degree like this and then go into journalism.

Hope I have answered your question sufficiently! :smile:

Journalism tends to be exposing what the journalist believes to be the truth. It's an interesting paradigm.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Kousar
I did English Language and English Literature and I disagree with you. English literature is a much more academically challenging subject than English Language. They were both brilliant don't get me wrong, but Literature was more so in terms of critical thinking and analysis. :smile: So I would suggest otherwise!

I did English Lit AS and I completely agree that it is a more challenging subject! I don't know much about the Lang/Lit course so I couldn't comment on how it is balanced but I just think that you learn how to use language well, the power of language and how to write like a journalist better in Language :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Journalism tends to be exposing what the journalist believes to be the truth. It's an interesting paradigm.

Well there's little objectivity in the world I must say. So of course a journalist is going to be providing his/her insight on matters.
I'm currently studying a BTEC in Sport and have had 4 offers from my University choices, aswell as an interview. Even Im suprised that I've been offered a place for Journalism, especially at City which is quite competitive and a leading University in the field of journalism.
Reply 27
All this talk about 'soft subjects' is just absolute nonsense. Ignore the tripe and just be sensible. If you're picking four A levels, do not pick four 'soft' subjects but equally do not pick four 'hard' subjects unless they are relevant to the degree. My friend has offers from 3 Russell Group universities - Nottingham, Southampton and Sheffield and she does psychology, ICT and business studies (and dropped history after AS). So it depends on other things as well as the subj

I too want to be a journalist and opted for English Literature, history, geography and ICT at A-level. I dropped history, and I'm now doing geography, English Literature and ICT. I'm hopefully going to study politics at university and then do a post-graduate course in journalism.

Good luck.
Original post by Kousar
Well there's little objectivity in the world I must say. So of course a journalist is going to be providing his/her insight on matters.

It's my favourite part of the job. When you start out, NIBS are teasingly restrictive, but when you start doing double page spreads, it's just fantastic.

Reply 29
It's my favourite part of the job. When you start out, NIBS are teasingly restrictive, but when you start doing double page spreads, it's just fantastic.

You're a journalist? Well that's brilliantly convenient :smile: I want to know, what are the days of a journalist like? For example, could you outline what you would do on a typical day? I'd be really interested :biggrin:

What's NIBS, sorry, I'm slow with abbreviations!
Original post by Kousar
You're a journalist? Well that's brilliantly convenient :smile: I want to know, what are the days of a journalist like? For example, could you outline what you would do on a typical day? I'd be really interested :biggrin:

What's NIBS, sorry, I'm slow with abbreviations!

I am :smile: As I said, feel free to look at my profile to see what I'm doing. Hmm...a typical day would be prioritising the press releases that came through late the previous night/early that morning; finish off anything important from the previous day (the election articles I do tend to take a while); write articles up for the day's press releases; call up the local councillors to see if they're any new stories; conduct any interviews I have going on that day, and sometimes go out on assignment. So tiring!

News in brief :smile:

Reply 31
I am :smile: As I said, feel free to look at my profile to see what I'm doing. Hmm...a typical day would be prioritising the press releases that came through late the previous night/early that morning; finish off anything important from the previous day (the election articles I do tend to take a while); write articles up for the day's press releases; call up the local councillors to see if they're any new stories; conduct any interviews I have going on that day, and sometimes go out on assignment. So tiring!

News in brief :smile:

Sounds interesting! Wow, looked at your profile. I don't understand, are you resitting A levels? Because you've got a degree so I'm just wondering....!
Original post by Kousar
Sounds interesting! Wow, looked at your profile. I don't understand, are you resitting A levels? Because you've got a degree so I'm just wondering....!

It really is :smile:

No - haven't got a degree - hoping to start KCL in September :smile:

Reply 33
It really is :smile:

No - haven't got a degree - hoping to start KCL in September :smile:

So you're doing your A2 Levels AND your a journalist? How'dya manage that!? :rolleyes:
Original post by Kousar
So you're doing your A2 Levels AND your a journalist? How'dya manage that!? :rolleyes:

Ridiculous time management. I plan my days out like mad!

What are you planning to study at university?

Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Probably history would be better than sociology but otherwise it looks like a solid choice. I think I prefer English Lit to Lang or the combined programme but that may be personal bias.

EDIT: Having Government and Politics is lieu of Geography would also be a good shout.

Ie, English Lit, Spanish, History and Government and politics seems like the best combo to me.

You can study Gov and Politics at school?
Reply 36
Ridiculous time management. I plan my days out like mad!

What are you planning to study at university?

I have no idea how you got that position, but that's amazing. I find it hard to find time to study now let alone having a demanding job alongside!

English literature at Uni :smile:
Original post by Kousar
I have no idea how you got that position, but that's amazing. I find it hard to find time to study now let alone having a demanding job alongside!

English literature at Uni :smile:

Thank you :smile: A lot of it is luck. The way I like to think of it - I'm practicing writing skills, and writing really fast (!), for my exams.

Me too :smile: Which uni?

Reply 38
Thank you :smile: A lot of it is luck. The way I like to think of it - I'm practicing writing skills, and writing really fast (!), for my exams.

Me too :smile: Which uni?

I wish I could do the same, write for a prestigious newspaper/company :biggrin:

University of manchester :smile:
Original post by Kousar
I wish I could do the same, write for a prestigious newspaper/company :biggrin:

University of manchester :smile:

I'm sure you will one day :smile:

Very nice!

Quick Reply

Latest