The Student Room Group

B at AS level

I have 8.5 A* and 2 As at GCSE and got 3 A grades s for my Jan AS exams this year, so am doing OK academically, BUT I majorly flopped in my physics exam. Of course I'll resit it and there is a good chance I could end up with an A if I put in the work. However, if I don't get an A, but say I get a B, what medical unis would still be realistic for me?

So basically, I could end up with A*A*A* predictions because all my other subjects are high A grades thankfully, but it's realistic that i'll end up with a B in my dropped AS.

What unis should I avoid and what unis should I look at more closely? Obviously a lot depends on UKCAT too....

Take a look at this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

most is fine with a B in AS assuming its not in chemistry. have a look and you should be able to cut a few off your list which you could apply to :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by GCSE-help
I have 8.5 A* and 2 As at GCSE and got 3 A grades s for my Jan AS exams this year, so am doing OK academically, BUT I majorly flopped in my physics exam. Of course I'll resit it and there is a good chance I could end up with an A if I put in the work. However, if I don't get an A, but say I get a B, what medical unis would still be realistic for me?

So basically, I could end up with A*A*A* predictions because all my other subjects are high A grades thankfully, but it's realistic that i'll end up with a B in my dropped AS.

What unis should I avoid and what unis should I look at more closely? Obviously a lot depends on UKCAT too....

Most medical schools would be fine with a B at AS. Off the top of my head you should avoid the following if you get a B
QUB
Birmingham
Oxbridge
Reply 3
Original post by Palindromic
Take a look at this page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

most is fine with a B in AS assuming its not in chemistry. have a look and you should be able to cut a few off your list which you could apply to :biggrin:

Original post by myyrh
Most medical schools would be fine with a B at AS. Off the top of my head you should avoid the following if you get a B
QUB
Birmingham
Oxbridge

Thanks :smile: I'm just worried that even if I meet the minimum B grade requirement for the 4th AS, I won't be considered because most applicants exceed minimum requirements.
Reply 4

Thanks :smile: I'm just worried that even if I meet the minimum B grade requirement for the 4th AS, I won't be considered because most applicants exceed minimum requirements.

That's normally not the case with AS levels. Contrary to popular belief, In most cases AS levels aren't as important to your application as your GCSE and predicted grades. If you meet the requirement in the fourth subject it's not looked at again. Some medical schools like BSMS and Leicester do favour applicants with straight As at AS level but in both cases it's not a deal breaker.
Reply 5
Original post by myyrh
That's normally not the case with AS levels. Contrary to popular belief, In most cases AS levels aren't as important to your application as your GCSE and predicted grades. If you meet the requirement in the fourth subject it's not looked at again. Some medical schools like BSMS and Leicester do favour applicants with straight As at AS level but in both cases it's not a deal breaker.

So that's Leicester and Brighton added to Oxbridge, Birmingham, Queen Mary. Options seem to be cut down :frown:
So that's Leicester and Brighton added to Oxbridge, Birmingham, Queen Mary. Options seem to be cut down :frown:

theres still LOADS of places. make a list of all the medical schools, cross off the ones you cant apply to. then research which admissions policies favour your application, then chose the 4 you like from the ones which you are most likely to be offered an interview.
Reply 7
Original post by Palindromic
theres still LOADS of places. make a list of all the medical schools, cross off the ones you cant apply to. then research which admissions policies favour your application, then chose the 4 you like from the ones which you are most likely to be offered an interview.

Sounds like a useful thing to do tbh, will definitely do that once I get my AS results/finish my AS exams. Thanks :smile:
Every year...
Reply 9
Original post by Wick3d
Every year...

Haha please elaborate :colondollar:
Haha please elaborate :colondollar:

every year tsr gets bombarded with threads like this, people get a bit annoyed because a bit of research will easily answer all the threads :biggrin:

Firstly, Queen Mary isn't a medical school - you mean Barts and The London.

Secondly, you've asked about your AS grade several times before and got plenty of adequate answers, so I'm closing this thread now.

Latest

Trending

Trending