The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I personally wouldn't consider my child's sexuality to be anyone's business other than their own. Of course I'd hope that I'd have raised my child with enough love and support which would make them want to tell me and to discuss it with me without feeling uncomfortable. Sexuality is completely fluid and I don't think it's determined by an individual's choices. Sexuality really wouldn't be of any concern to me if I were to have children! Whoever they love would be fine with me provided that they are happy!:smile:

I feel so sorry for children raised in homophobic backgrounds who force themselves to be with women in order to please others.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 261
Homosexuality could well be nature's way of population control. Either way 'it isn't natural' is a stupid argument for discriminating against homosexuals. Humans do plenty of 'unnatural' things what ever 'natural' is.
Reply 262
Original post by MostUncivilised
Tolerating intolerance is for weak, self-loathing fools.

Same category as the Ayatollahs of Iran, "Respect" Party and their fellow travellers.

Oooh, tough guy eh?

I bet you're this hard in real life too. :biggrin:
Beat them until there illness was cured...

.... Or nothing.
Reply 264
Original post by Bluffroom
Debate with them? The thing is though, if they were intelligent and went to university the chances are they wouldn't be - as academia is about searching for the truth when right-winged views are generally only good for rich people who cover things up - or religious nuts

Good, if my children were homosexual I'd "debate" with them too and attempt to show them the error of their ways. We both want our respective children to adopt and accept our own values, I don't see anything wrong with that so why are you attempting to label me a nasty person?
Original post by chefdave
Good, if my children were homosexual I'd "debate" with them too and attempt to show them the error of their ways. We both want our respective children to adopt and accept our own values, I don't see anything wrong with that so why are you attempting to label me a nasty person?

Being gay isn't the error of somebodies ways, you ignorant bigot. There is no choice in it and you can't debate the gay away. Sure, I want any potential children of mine to have respective values: everybody deserves equality, it's not polite to stare etc. However your 'values' aren't values at all - thinking that gay people are 'in some form in error' for having a sexuality which is different to yours is despicable.
Reply 266
wouldn't make any difference to me.... not that I especially want kids anyway
Eh? I don't get it. I meant cure their unnatural homosexual tendencies.

With what, magic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Perseveranze
They won't be

My dad said the same thing. Then I came along.
Reply 269
Original post by i.am.lost
All this talk of 'biological design' for the opposite sex in this thread is fatally misguided; all we really have is a reward system intended to incentivise us to copulate by associating the act with pleasure. Sexuality is multifarious and the norm is dictated only by the society in which we live (contrast pederasty in Ancient Greece to modern perceptions of such relationships). Ergo, the only things that would upset me to discover that my child is gay are the hardships he/she will face from an intolerant society.

And XX or XY chromosomes, gametes designed to fuse to become zygotes, a female with a womb to harbour children, breasts to feed them after childbirth, genital organs complementary to allow procreation ect. Sexuality , like zoohpilia , cannibalism, even religious beliefs, all come from conditioning and exposure. The truth is that we are biologically designed to mate with the opposite gender.
What would you do if your children were right-wing?

There's nothing to be gained by trying to compare debating a person's right-wing thoughts, to debating a person's homosexuality.

Ideology and political thoughts can be reasoned and changed with personal thought and reflection. Whereas someone's homosexuality is innate (whether by virtue of being born that way, or because of their nurture).

It's as futile as debating your heterosexuality in an effort to make you gay. You are innately straight. No amount of reason will change that. Indeed, it seems no amount of reason will change your right-wing views. But it's crucial to note that is extortionately more common for people to change their political views, than for people to change their sexuality.
Original post by MENDACIUM
And XX or XY chromosomes, gametes designed to fuse to become zygotes, a female with a womb to harbour children, breasts to feed them after childbirth, genital organs complementary to allow procreation ect. Sexuality , like zoohpilia , cannibalism, even religious beliefs, all come from conditioning and exposure. The truth is that we are biologically designed to mate with the opposite gender.

were designed in many ways which are irrelevant. you wernt designed to wear clothes, but we do. we were designed with an appendix, which we do not use. homosexuality isnt just about mating, its about being in a relationship with someone of the same sex, people seem to think its only about sex! if life was just about mating then why arnt we all having sex all day everyday?

people can do what they want, with who they want, when they want. who are you/others to say what people should or shouldnt do

I bet you're this hard in real life too. :biggrin:

How hard is it, being a 40+ guy debating young students on the "Student Room" forum?
Original post by danielcain-reed
I personally wouldn't consider my child's sexuality to be anyone's business other than their own. Of course I'd hope that I'd have raised my child with enough love and support which would make them want to tell me and to discuss it with me without feeling uncomfortable. Sexuality is completely fluid and I don't think it's determined by an individual's choices. Sexuality really wouldn't be of any concern to me if I were to have children! Whoever they love would be fine with me provided that they are happy!:smile:

I feel so sorry for children raised in homophobic backgrounds who force themselves to be with women in order to please others.

Excellent comment. This.
Original post by cheetahs56
I would beat the **** out of them, and disown them. Sorry guys, thats just my view that everyone has the right to:smile:

You have a right to incite violence against gay people? In fact, that's probably illegal incitement.

Public Order Act, 1986

S4A

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—
(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 275
Original post by Palindromic
were designed in many ways which are irrelevant. you wernt designed to wear clothes, but we do. we were designed with an appendix, which we do not use. homosexuality isnt just about mating, its about being in a relationship with someone of the same sex, people seem to think its only about sex! if life was just about mating then why arnt we all having sex all day everyday?

people can do what they want, with who they want, when they want. who are you/others to say what people should or shouldnt do

Actually, clothes keep us from the side-effects of the cold, and scientific studies have shown human beings do respond to shame. The appendix is actually useful http://www.livescience.com/10571-appendix-fact-promising.html that misconception which is rife in the public has already been put to bed. Life is not about having sex, but we are discussing sexuality here.

Yes, we are biologically designed to mate with eachother - we have respectively got a vagina or a penis. However, we also were given an appendix which isn't very useful apart from trying to kill us, plus we have other parts of our body which aren't for sex. If we were such well-adapted mating machines we wouldn't have adapted to have consciousness we would just all be supermodels with giant balls and perfectly adapted penises, women would have some sort of method of increasing the chances of fertility and kiddies would be flying from every orifice, plus every time it's time to mate some sort of scent would waft off making everyone super horny and a giant orgy would ensue.
Actually, clothes keep us from the side-effects of the cold, and scientific studies have shown human beings do respond to shame. The appendix is actually useful http://www.livescience.com/10571-appendix-fact-promising.html that misconception which is rife in the public has already been put to bed. Life is not about having sex, but we are discussing sexuality here.

Your comment is completely nonsensical.

You have said homosexuality is unnatural. Even if it was, which clearly it is not, that isn't even a rational argument against it, or in favour of discriminating against gay people.

Then again, hateful, squalid little foreveralone idiots like you will always feel the need to feel superior to someone.
Reply 278
Original post by Bluffroom
Yes, we are biologically designed to mate with eachother - we have respectively got a vagina or a penis. However, we also were given an appendix which isn't very useful apart from trying to kill us, plus we have other parts of our body which aren't for sex. If we were such well-adapted mating machines we wouldn't have adapted to have consciousness we would just all be supermodels with giant balls and perfectly adapted penises, women would have some sort of method of increasing the chances of fertility and kiddies would be flying from every orifice, plus every time it's time to mate some sort of scent would waft off making everyone super horny and a giant orgy would ensue.
The appendix is not actually useless at all. http://www.livescience.com/10571-appendix-fact-promising.html
i could listen to my culture cd loud and proud. when i say loud and proud. i mean i could pin all the blame on him.

Latest