The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me make sense of this baffling* decision?

(* at least to me)

So I have a foundation year in engineering but the school is very electronics geared and has no civil course.

I emailed Glasgow to see about switching to their civil course for 2nd year entry (the same as 1st year else where, then allow direct entry from A-levels to this year often).

However they told me the type of mathematics would be too different.

I can't make any sense of this. From what the university tell me the foundation year is basically A-level Maths/Physics and maybe a little extra. So how could I be learning anything so different to a 6th former who is allowed straight into 2nd year?

Does this sound like they have misunderstood what I told them to you? I didn't want to clarify further as it was pretty clear from the first email and didn't want to seem like one of those kids who can't accept rejection and assumes the person who responed has no idea what they are on about. Even though I kind of feel like those kids now, it just doesn't make sense to me really.

Certainly A-level maths or physics will be no more geared towards civil engineering than my course is.

Any advice?
Original post by bestofyou
(* at least to me)

So I have a foundation year in engineering but the school is very electronics geared and has no civil course.

I emailed Glasgow to see about switching to their civil course for 2nd year entry (the same as 1st year else where, then allow direct entry from A-levels to this year often).

I can't make any sense of this. From what the university tell me the foundation year is basically A-level Maths/Physics and maybe a little extra. So how could I be learning anything so different to a 6th former who is allowed straight into 2nd year?

Does this sound like they have misunderstood what I told them to you? I didn't want to clarify further as it was pretty clear from the first email and didn't want to seem like one of those kids who can't accept rejection and assumes the person who responed has no idea what they are on about. Even though I kind of feel like those kids now, it just doesn't make sense to me really.

Certainly A-level maths or physics will be no more geared towards civil engineering than my course is.

Any advice?

Your situation is unfortunate. However, what I would say, is that that the don't allow advanced entry as often as you imply in your original post. In fact, it's pretty difficult to get advanced entry.

You're not the only person in this position - HND holders are entitled to first year entry only - despite having studied that exact subject (core units as well as optional) for two years, a dissertation length project and a closed book 3 hour graded unit... That's just how Glasgow roll.

I'm more than sure they are fully aware of what you're asking. Just suck it up and explore your other options...
Reply 2
Original post by pmc:producer
Your situation is unfortunate. However, what I would say, is that that the don't allow advanced entry as often as you imply in your original post. In fact, it's pretty difficult to get advanced entry.

You're not the only person in this position - HND holders are entitled to first year entry only - despite having studied that exact subject (core units as well as optional) for two years, a dissertation length project and a closed book 3 hour graded unit... That's just how Glasgow roll.

I'm more than sure they are fully aware of what you're asking. Just suck it up and explore your other options...

I did suck it up, they respond several months ago, it is just for some reason I was thinking it didn't seem to make sense that I was doing a 'different type of maths' as they put it for entry onto a civil engineering programme. Had they given a response more like your comment it would be a different story. But the wrong type of maths seemed like an excuse made out of thin air to me given that I was studying A-level content.

Do you go to Glasgow?
I'll agree, they seem a bit vague. There's no denying it's unfair mate, but that's life eh? We'll live.

I'm finishing up my HND this year. I applied for 2nd year entry to Glasgow and they offered me first. I sent them an email outlining both the solo and group work I'd taken part in, how I'd covered all modules Glasgow offer in first year and more (accounts, economics, marketing, managing people & organisations, law etc) - I even told her to up my offer from BB to AA but Elaine Shortt told me her hands were tied unfortunately.

I found it a bit odd as every other university I applied to offered me 3rd year, including Aberdeen and Stirling. However, I chose Glasgow after a long chat with myself. Mainly due to the club 21 opportunities and the ERASMUS exchange which I would have missed out on going in to Third year. So I'll be off there on September.

I suppose the only good thing is that I'll know what I'm talking about after studying it for 2 years and doing masses of extended reading out of enjoyment (oddly) haha.
I did suck it up, they respond several months ago, it is just for some reason I was thinking it didn't seem to make sense that I was doing a 'different type of maths' as they put it for entry onto a civil engineering programme. Had they given a response more like your comment it would be a different story. But the wrong type of maths seemed like an excuse made out of thin air to me given that I was studying A-level content.

Do you go to Glasgow?

Out of curiosity... What are you doing just now? And where?
Reply 5
(* at least to me)
Any advice?

The only logic I can see is that 2nd year entry to Scottish universities is for high achieving A-level students? I don't know if it's true, but if it is then perhaps your foundation year doesn't equate to a high achieving AAA student, meaning you wouldn't have the skills to enter 2nd year.

Mere speculation, just a thought.
Reply 6
Out of curiosity... What are you doing just now? And where?

Electronic Engineering at York with a foundation year.
Electronic Engineering at York with a foundation year.

Foundation year in England being 2nd year?
Reply 8
Foundation year in England being 2nd year?

Nah, the foundation often called a Year 0. So after that year I'd go into 1st year in England.

From what I heard the 1st year in Scotland is like a foundation year in England except it obviously doesn't start from scratch, picks up around AS-level or slightly further on apparently. The foundation covers pre-gcse maths and physics to slightly beyond A-level standard in the three terms.
Nah, the foundation often called a Year 0. So after that year I'd go into 1st year in England.

From what I heard the 1st year in Scotland is like a foundation year in England except it obviously doesn't start from scratch, picks up around AS-level or slightly further on apparently. The foundation covers pre-gcse maths and physics to slightly beyond A-level standard in the three terms.

Ah, I see. No chance could I see you getting direct entry to a top uni up here with that mate... What other options you looking at?
Reply 10
Ah, I see. No chance could I see you getting direct entry to a top uni up here with that mate... What other options you looking at?

Just that, if I can't transfer into 1st year Ireland/England/Wales or 2nd Year Scotland then I'll stick with electronics and do a MSc in a water/sanitation related area. However I'm confident that I'll get a uni that accepts me, I've only emailed a few and have positive responses. Looking back at my emails, I never actually got a response from Glasgow, it was Birmingham that said that, which is even stranger since they offer foundations also.

Dundee told me I would qualify for 2nd year though and it has a pretty well recognised Civil Engineering school. Plenty of hypothetical options open, just need to knuckle down and pass.
Reply 11
Just that, if I can't transfer into 1st year Ireland/England/Wales or 2nd Year Scotland then I'll stick with electronics and do a MSc in a water/sanitation related area. However I'm confident that I'll get a uni that accepts me, I've only emailed a few and have positive responses. Looking back at my emails, I never actually got a response from Glasgow, it was Birmingham that said that, which is even stranger since they offer foundations also.

Dundee told me I would qualify for 2nd year though and it has a pretty well recognised Civil Engineering school. Plenty of hypothetical options open, just need to knuckle down and pass.

you sound extremely confused, didn't you make a thread about wanting to change to software engineering and now you're talking about civil? loool
Reply 12
Original post by a10
you sound extremely confused, didn't you make a thread about wanting to change to software engineering and now you're talking about civil? loool

just can't make my mind up braz.lol I'd do them all if I could. :biggrin:

I'm more attracted to Civil due to the outdoors opportunities.

However, an urge to work outdoors is putting me off most engineering degrees at the minute. Civil seems to be the way forward...but even then there is no certainly and as a new grad I heard you'll be indoors for most of the first few years.

Always considered civil though. I sent those emails months ago.
Reply 13
just can't make my mind up braz.lol I'd do them all if I could. :biggrin:

I'm more attracted to Civil due to the outdoors opportunities.

However, an urge to work outdoors is putting me off most engineering degrees at the minute. Civil seems to be the way forward...but even then there is no certainly and as a new grad I heard you'll be indoors for most of the first few years.

Always considered civil though. I sent those emails months ago.

lol don't listen to tsr man people will have a bunch of different things to say. It depends what job you apply for when you graduate, if you want to work outdoors then you would simply apply for outdoor type jobs if not then you would apply for something else office based. Most engineering jobs are office based but it doesn't mean you can't work outdoors if you wanted..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a10
lol don't listen to tsr man people will have a bunch of different things to say.

This sentence doesn't even make sense here. He was writing about Glasgow decision not to grant him advanced entry - not seeking advice.

Quick Reply