The Student Room Group

Imperial vs. Manchester

I am planning to study Biology (with Industrial/Professional Experience) at University and have offers from both Imperial College London and Manchester. I am finding it difficult to decide which one to firm... does anybody have any advice or knowledge regarding these universities?
Many Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KatyJF
I am planning to study Biology (with Industrial/Professional Experience) at University and have offers from both Imperial College London and Manchester. I am finding it difficult to decide which one to firm... does anybody have any advice or knowledge regarding these universities?
Many Thanks! :smile:

I'd say Imperial, with no knowlegde of the courses, just based on reputation.
Reply 2
Imperial, without a shadow of a doubt.

It's way more prestigious, has far better job prospects, you'll be amongst more intelligent, more motivated students.

The only issue is cost/London, and that might tempt people into picking, say, Warwick/Durham/Bristol over Imperial, but Manchester is a step down from there.

I would only have turned down Imperial for UCL/Oxford/Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by KatyJF
x

Original post by SaraWarah

It's way more prestigious, has far better job prospects, you'll be amongst more intelligent, more motivated students.

The only issue is cost/London, and that might tempt people into picking, say, Warwick/Durham/Bristol over Imperial, but Manchester is a step down from there.

I beg to differ.

Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/student-life/9796679/Warwick-University-top-target-for-graduate-employers.html (Scroll down for a list of 'top targeted' universities)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

Don't be stupid.

That's just a ranking of how many firms pitch up to careers fairs, and has absolutely no say on how employers target universities.

Nobody is going to pick Warwick graduates over Oxbridge/Imperial graduates unless the Warwick ones actually proved themselves to be better.

Why else do you think that Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL students enjoy access to prestigious careers which no other universities will grant access to? You won't find very many Sheffield students at the Bar in London, you won't find many at MC law firms, or at top banking jobs.

Look at the list again and tell me you managed not to burst out laughing.
Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Oxford
Birmingham
Bath
Leeds
Sheffield
Imperial
Lougborough
LSE
UCL

Clearly LSE and UCL graduates are just sub-standard compared to the elite folks over at Sheffield :rolleyes:

When Cambridge and Oxford take world top 5 spots for employer reputation (and overall reputation, too), you have to question a ranking's accuracy when they are placed #4 and #7 in the UK..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

I also applied to Durham and Bristol, but neither were as good as Imperial or Manchester.

The main issue I have with Imperial is the accommodation costs, which is why I am leaning towards Manchester, as it is so much cheaper. The Life Science Faculty at Manchester is huge, which brings the benefits of lots of choice regarding modules, placements as well as excellent facilities and academic staff. Manchester seemed friendlier than Imperial.
However, Imperial has an excellent reputation and is in the science hub of the UK. The university gets lots of funding for research and is obviously very science-orientated!
Reply 6
Original post by KatyJF
I also applied to Durham and Bristol, but neither were as good as Imperial or Manchester.
The main issue I have with Imperial is the accommodation costs, which is why I am leaning towards Manchester, as it is so much cheaper. The Life Science Faculty at Manchester is huge, which brings the benefits of lots of choice regarding modules, placements as well as excellent facilities and academic staff. Manchester seemed friendlier than Imperial.
However, Imperial has an excellent reputation and is in the science hub of the UK. The university gets lots of funding for research and is obviously very science-orientated!

Take Imperial. Obviously the niceness of the university has to play a part, but we're talking Imperial vs. Manchester here. There's very little debate to be had.

You'll enjoy yourself at Imperial, just as you'll enjoy yourself anywhere, and wherever you go you'll grow to love your uni anyway.
Reply 7
Don't be stupid.

That's just a ranking of how many firms pitch up to careers fairs, and has absolutely no say on how employers target universities.

Nobody is going to pick Warwick graduates over Oxbridge/Imperial graduates unless the Warwick ones actually proved themselves to be better.

Why else do you think that Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL students enjoy access to prestigious careers which no other universities will grant access to? You won't find very many Sheffield students at the Bar in London, you won't find many at MC law firms, or at top banking jobs.

Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Oxford
Birmingham
Bath
Leeds
Sheffield
Imperial
Lougborough
LSE
UCL

Clearly LSE and UCL graduates are just sub-standard compared to the elite folks over at Sheffield :rolleyes:

When Cambridge and Oxford take world top 5 spots for employer reputation (and overall reputation, too), you have to question a ranking's accuracy when they are placed #4 and #7 in the UK..

I'll ignore that slip of the tongue (or fingers).

Are you an employer? Answer me that. The university someone attends only reflects the individual to an extent, all the rest lies on the person. It is quite clear that the universities on that list are doing something right with their students.

Stop focusing so much on 'prestige', which may I add is quite subjective anyway. I'm not suggesting that any university is more 'sub-standard' than another, I am just refuting your claim that if the OP were to attend Imperial they would have 'far better job prospects'. I'm sure the difference is not as massive as your post implies. Especially seeing as Manchester is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to research and the sciences.

At the end of the day prestige, reputation, or whatever other factor alone doesn't necessarily lead to happiness, and happiness is what the OP should search for when deciding which university to attend.
Reply 8
Original post by 'Sup?
I'll ignore that slip of the tongue (or fingers).

Are you an employer? Answer me that. The university someone attends only reflects the individual to an extent, all the rest lies on the person. It is quite clear that the universities on that list are doing something right with their students.

Stop focusing so much on 'prestige', which may I add is quite subjective anyway. I'm not suggesting that any university is more 'sub-standard' than another, I am just refuting your claim that if the OP were to attend Imperial they would have 'far better job prospects'. I'm sure the difference is not as massive as your post implies. Especially seeing as Manchester is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to research and the sciences.

At the end of the day prestige, reputation, or whatever other factor alone doesn't necessarily lead to happiness, and happiness is what the OP should search for when deciding which university to attend.

No, I'm not an employer, but I have enough experience with employers to know this to be the case.

Of course prestige is subjective, but it's no coincidence that Oxbridge will rank top in the country in any prestige ranking - employers respect the quality of their graduates, and offer them better jobs.

Perhaps the difference is not 'massive', but it can make or break entry into elite careers.

In essence, if two students go to different universities of different prestige, then the one at the better university will be able to get their foot in the door for more prestigious jobs. For those jobs which are open to both graduates, however, then the difference won't be so great.

e.g. you'll find a good mix of university backgrounds in teaching, or other careers to which students from worse universities have access, but judges/bankers/elite civil servants etc. will be dominated by the top universities.

I took issue mainly with you posting that table as some sort of reputable source of employer reputation, when clearly it's anything but.
Reply 9
Take Imperial. [...] There's very little debate to be had.

*******s, obviously there is a lot of debate for her. Just because you seem to be 100% focused on reputation doesn't mean all other statistics lie, no one cares about the costs of living or the environment (city etc.)
Reply 10
Whilst applying to university this year myself, I've gotten the impression that they are both very good universities and high employment rates. Though nowadays, it isn't really enough to have a degree but you have to be 'well rounded' so involved in lots a societies what not.
I've also gotten the impression that as you said, Manchester is much more friendly and sociable than Imperial but of course that doesn't mean that Imperial is a bad place to be!
If I were you, I wouldn't base my decision of prestige but where you feel like you would be most happiest for the ext 3 or 4 years of your life!
Don't be stupid.

Warwick
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Oxford
Birmingham
Bath
Leeds
Sheffield
Imperial
Lougborough
LSE
UCL

So I'm glad you saw my link of employer reputation which placed Warwick at seventh in the world. I think Manchester was actually eight in the world for employment reputation. Not so glad that you deleted your post instead of replying back.
And...you'd take UCL instead of Imperial????
And as for Manchester University people being less intelligent, the university has produced more nobel prizes than any other British university after Oxbridge (25 of them), far more than Imperial. It has produced lots of heads of state, more than Imperial, and has produced great minds like Wittgenstein, the famous philosopher.
Reply 12
No, I'm not an employer, but I have enough experience with employers to know this to be the case.

Of course prestige is subjective, but it's no coincidence that Oxbridge will rank top in the country in any prestige ranking - employers respect the quality of their graduates, and offer them better jobs.

Perhaps the difference is not 'massive', but it can make or break entry into elite careers.

In essence, if two students go to different universities of different prestige, then the one at the better university will be able to get their foot in the door for more prestigious jobs. For those jobs which are open to both graduates, however, then the difference won't be so great.

e.g. you'll find a good mix of university backgrounds in teaching, or other careers to which students from worse universities have access, but judges/bankers/elite civil servants etc. will be dominated by the top universities.

I took issue mainly with you posting that table as some sort of reputable source of employer reputation, when clearly it's anything but.

You're still focusing on very few factors, the OP is trying to weigh the pros and cons of ICL and Manchester, we are supposed to be helping her with this. You seem to be missing that point.

(There is an actual report floating around somewhere from which that information is sourced, but I am not going to waste my time searching for it)

Good day. :flip:
Reply 13
Original post by amineamine2
So I'm glad you saw my link of employer reputation which placed Warwick at seventh in the world. I think Manchester was actually eight in the world for employment reputation. Not so glad that you deleted your post instead of replying back.
And...you'd take UCL instead of Imperial????
And as for Manchester University people being less intelligent, the university has produced more nobel prizes than any other British university after Oxbridge (25 of them), far more than Imperial. It has produced lots of heads of state, more than Imperial, and has produced great minds like Wittgenstein, the famous philosopher.

Who it produced in the past is somewhat irrelevant. Very few people will doubt that the average Imperial student nowadays will be smarter and better-trained than a Manchester student. There will be exceptions to the trend, like perhaps the OP, but the trend is very clear in academic achievement etc.

I said that the only universities I would take over Imperial would be Cambridge/Oxford/UCL. Not necessarily for Biology (perhaps I wasn't clear) although I am aware that UCL is good for Biology.

UCL is an example of where you might trade some enjoyability at university for slightly less prestige, so long as the drop is not too great - you can still access the same jobs from UCL as you can from Imperial. You cannot, however, from Manchester.

I might pick UCL over Imperial for Medicine or some of the natural sciences, but I suppose that UCL's strengths in Economics, languages etc. are not even offered by Imp :smile:

Original post by 'Sup?
(There is an actual report floating around somewhere from which that information is sourced)

I've read the report, which is why I feel justified in criticising the table, as I believe it's very misleading.
Who it produced in the past is somewhat irrelevant. Very few people will doubt that the average Imperial student nowadays will be smarter and better-trained than a Manchester student. There will be exceptions to the trend, like perhaps the OP, but the trend is very clear in academic achievement etc.

I said that the only universities I would take over Imperial would be Cambridge/Oxford/UCL. Not necessarily for Biology (perhaps I wasn't clear) although I am aware that UCL is good for Biology.

UCL is an example of where you might trade some enjoyability at university for slightly less prestige, so long as the drop is not too great - you can still access the same jobs from UCL as you can from Imperial. You cannot, however, from Manchester.

I might pick UCL over Imperial for Medicine or some of the natural sciences, but I suppose that UCL's strengths in Economics, languages etc. are not even offered by Imp :smile:

I've read the report, which is why I feel justified in criticising the table, as I believe it's very misleading.

Why is Manchester in the top ten of the world in the league table you referred to for employability?
And do you now admit that you were wrong regarding Warwick in the other thread?
Reply 15
Original post by amineamine2
Why is Manchester in the top ten of the world in the league table you referred to for employability?
And do you now admit that you were wrong regarding Warwick in the other thread?

You don't know which league table I'm referring to.

I actually meant this http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/10/25/world/asia/25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic.html?ref=asia , alongside the THES reputation rankings.
Reply 16
Original post by Muscovite
They'll be infinitely nicer people though let's face it. Your condescending tone doesn't help either, Manchester is the university that pioneered Graphene and which first split the atom. Pipe down.

Who will be? You think that Sheffield/Warwick students will be infinitely nicer than Oxbridge/LSE students? Now that's just ignorant.

I didn't say Manchester was bad. Imperial is better, though, let's face it.
Not going to indulge some of the more blatant misconceptions in this thread but I will say this, both Manchester and Imperial are Universities placed near the absolute pinnacle of Higher Education without question.

Manchester has exceptional Biology facilities and very good job prospects for the course, especially given that the University works very closely with GlaxoSmithKline to produce the next generation of researchers and scientists in the subject, they pump so much funding into research intensive projects it is unreal and I would strongly recommend Manchester to any PhD student. This makes it a very strong pick for this particular course, and the poster prattling on about prestige needs to do some research into real world links that most modern Russell Groups have and that significantly benefit bright graduates. Infact, the real reason Manchester University isn't higher in Uni Rankings is because many undergrads get caught up in the atmosphere and culture of the city that they end up receiving the hard end of the stick from the University, lowering their satisfaction rating.

Imperial however is the creme de la creme, especially in terms of name. It trades blows with UCL and LSE for the best overall London University but it has an unquestionably strong faculty. It lacks the practical links with big companies that Manchester has, but arguably makes up for it with just its name. It also receives a massive chunk of funding, though its mainly directed at its medical courses.

Both London and Manchester are brilliant and colourful cities, I'd say Manchester is harder, streetwise and more open-minded, London is metropolitan and a bit more sophisticated I think, but thats just based on my personal stereotypes formed from spending time at both Universities.

Where do you think you're going to have more fun? At the end of the day, a first from either Uni is still extremely good and will put you well above the vast majority of graduates. You might prize that lucrative relationship with GSK that Manc has, or you might have fallen in love with the brilliance that is Imperial.

Good luck!
Reply 18
Anyone choosing a university based on so called "prestige" is an idiot. I preferred Manchester - the university itself, the course & the cost of living - so I firmed Manchester and declined Imperial.

Also, to the absolute c*** who said you'll be amongst "more intelligent, more motivated students" I'd say my Manchester offer was higher than my Imperial offer.
Reply 19
Imperial. It's a top research university on top of everything else. I'm bias though. It's also 12th in the world for Biological Sciences. http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2012/biological-sciences and 6th over all in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011 This may factor in job prospects, employers targeting the university, world-class research ect
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending