The Student Room Group

Economics Essays ECON3 and ECON4

How do you write a good evaluative essay. My examboard is AQA
Reply 1
Original post by WorkHardNow
How do you write a good evaluative essay. My examboard is AQA

Get this question so much, I'd say mark schemes are your best friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do AQA and got 90+ in all my units so far (ECON4 in summer), these are my tips:

Make sure you read this: WEESTEPS - (scroll down to the powerpoint and check out slide 23) http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/exam-technique-for-a2-economics-weesteps-to-evaluation

^ That nails what you need for evaluation. But here are some tips I always make sure I highlight in my essays:

- Question the assumptions in your arguments and highlight market failure/government failure
E.G: if you're talking about government intervention make sure you question that the underlying argument in favour for government invention is that we assume they make decisions on the basis of the rational choice theory (complete information) and this is rarely the case and governments get it wrong

- Question alternate arguments
Government Intervention vs Free Market Solution

- Short run v long run solution

- Is efficient, equitable, effective?

- Who are the winners and losers?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
I do AQA and got 90+ in all my units so far (ECON4 in summer), these are my tips:

Make sure you read this: WEESTEPS - (scroll down to the powerpoint and check out slide 23) http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/exam-technique-for-a2-economics-weesteps-to-evaluation

^ That nails what you need for evaluation. But here are some tips I always make sure I highlight in my essays:

- Question the assumptions in your arguments and highlight market failure/government failure
E.G: if you're talking about government intervention make sure you question that the underlying argument in favour for government invention is that we assume they make decisions on the basis of the rational choice theory (complete information) and this is rarely the case and governments get it wrong

- Question alternate arguments
Government Intervention vs Free Market Solution

- Short run v long run solution

- Is efficient, equitable, effective?

- Who are the winners and losers?

what have you been through in econ4 so far? We haven't don't much at all..
Original post by BobTheBuilder94
what have you been through in econ4 so far? We haven't don't much at all..

My teacher is pathetic, we spent about 3 months going through two chapters. So I told him to hurry up and we're now on Chapter 16 Balance of Payments.

But in all honesty, his lessons are Sh!t, I just read and make notes on the AQA textbook and I got that done well ahead time. I'm just about to start on Chapter 18.
Reply 5
I agree wee-steps are vital for top marks, I use the ray powellbook which I would recommend if you haven't already got it
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
My teacher is pathetic, we spent about 3 months going through two chapters. So I told him to hurry up and we're now on Chapter 16 Balance of Payments.

But in all honesty, his lessons are Sh!t, I just read and make notes on the AQA textbook and I got that done well ahead time. I'm just about to start on Chapter 18.

We have just finished Taxation think its chapter 14?
Might start making notes but not sure if i can do them properly just from aqa textbook
I did Econ4 last year but on the Edexcel board. Just make sure you pick points that relate to the questions and you can easily interlink with other points. Then, as Bob said, use WeeSteps and destroy your evaluation and you'll be fine :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending