The Student Room Group

Leeds vs. Manchester (Math/w Philosophy)

So I've applied to both the university of Leeds and the university of Manchester to do Maths with Philosophy.

Really can't decide still after multiple visits which to firm. My main focus is night life, pretty much wonna party as much as I can(and keep up with studies), then also accommodation, course and campus.

Anyone studying at either or partyed at both?
Reply 1
If you're main priority is partying then it has got to be Leeds from what I hear.
Both cities have a lot of nightlife - you won't get bored.

Accommodation wise, Manchester probably has the biggest choice of accommodation of any university in the UK, and you are guaranteed a place even if you come through clearing.

Course - I can't help you with that, although I have heard that Manchester exclusively does one type of philosophy (I can't remember if it's continental or analytic though). Make sure you are happy with that.

I think Manchester's campus is pretty nice - green space, lots of new buildings, and the busiest bus route in Europe to take you to your halls.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies guys, such a tough decision as they're both great universities. I'll look into the course details and hopefully it wont matter too much if I choose after accommodation day in Leeds.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets

Course - I can't help you with that, although I have heard that Manchester exclusively does one type of philosophy (I can't remember if it's continental or analytic though). Make sure you are happy with that.

It will most likely be analytical. Not many Unis do continental.
Reply 5
Original post by possolg
My main focus is night life, pretty much wonna party as much as I can

Manchester is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, student cities in the UK as 3 universities belong to that city (UoM, MMU and Salford uni) so I would say manchester is your best bet for nightlife :smile:
Reply 6
I've heard good things about both in terms on night life, apparently Leeds is slightly better. However the accommodation is a big deal in terms of social life, manchester's fallowfield is the big social hub however the big party halls seems to be spread through Leeds?

I'll wait for accommodation viewing I guess and hope I don't get put in somewhere ****ty for waiting too long and keep you posted. Anyone got any accommodation advice can add it here if they like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending