The Student Room Group

What do you think of girls who take "selfies"?

Scroll to see replies

I say let the camera slowly steal their souls until a empty and aimless existence is all that is left for them.
I don't have a problem with selfies in general, although I rarely take them. But if you're going to take a new one every few days then I start to have a problem.
Original post by Lexi99
I only do it when I'm showing off a new dress I got, or did my hair up but generally it pisses me off. I have a girl on fb who does every morning or every time she goes out.... Why do we need to see you pouting like that, again?!

I hate pouts, what's so good about them? Imagine all the facebook servers in america that are filled with them. The fb servers are now having to move to finland to keep their servers naturally cool now. :smile:
Reply 23
If it makes them happy, awesome!
Girls feeling insecure and looking for a quick ego pick me up from the flood of comments such as: 'gorjus bbe' 'sooo hot xx' 'lv ur hair' 'fiit'. Hilarious especially when the caption is something like: 'just got out of bed' 'looking ****' 'hairs a mess'. Social media sites were invented for insecure girls.
Reply 25
I think it's a bit insecure if it's just something they put on their wall, but having said that I regularly use selfies as my profile pic
Reply 26
When people are constantly doing it it annoys me tbh but I wouldn't hate someone for it. I've got bigger things to worry about :smile:
When I was 12/13, I had an album dedicated to selfies (only about ten pictures before I realised how cringy it was) because a) everyone else was doing it and b) I was pretty insecure and thought if people saw pictures of me looking vaguely nice, they might start to like me. I don't think its fair to slate people for being attention seeking; its a very human thing to desire. I think selfies are incredibly awkward now, and haven't changed my profile picture in nearly a year, but if I got a picture taken of me which I actually liked, I'd still want to share it with everyone for that validation that I'm not completely disgusting *cries and plays the violin alone in the moonlight*

Occasionally, some girls take so many selfies it annoys me - but I tend to just unfriend them when that happens.
Reply 28
Original post by PoGo HoPz
I think it's hot, it exudes confidence :smile:

In the hope that some of these girls will come on TSR and upload them so you can circlejerk with other users in the comments section.

Really?
Reply 29
If I look at a facebook profile and it's full of selfies, then yes, it does give off a bad impression. Doesn't matter if it's boy or girl, I see guys with selfies or worse yet - webcam photos - as well.
Firstly it's vain, secondly it does look a bit pathetic. Unbelievably some upload selfies to online dating profiles as well - there is none more effective way to look like a loner.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Probably just wanting to show off or something similar to that. Of course there are dumb situations where girls take really dumb pictures that I won't even mention :K:
Reply 31
It's even worse when a guy takes selfies.
Reply 32
I don't mind it. I personally wouldn't take selfies but if someone else wants to then fine, whatever, go for it. If it bothers me, I'll simply hide them from my newsfeed.

Personally I have more of an issue with people that like to criticise others for taking 'attention seeking' selfies. Just let them get on with it.
Reply 33
Original post by Pinkhead
It's even worse when a guy takes selfies.

Especially when it has a caption like "#comeatmebrah #dench #ladsontour2013" :facepalm:
I agree with a few comments on here, with regards to the people take 'selfies' lacking in self confidence. I do not think negatively of girls taking pictures of themselves, its their body/face and it isn't harming anybody. Live and let live and all that :smile:
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I've been reading quite a few feature articles on this recently, and I'm curious to know what people think about girls who take lots of photos of themselves (selfies), and upload them onto social networking sites?

Do you think they come across as self absorbed, or are they simply making use of social networking sites? I'm just curious as I have a lot of girls on my Facebook who take photos of themselves everyday and/or link their instagram in and i'm that it is starting to annoy me! :p: I have nothing against selfies, but some people take so many that it comes across as vain and desperate....

It doesn't particularly bother me, but it does annoy me when the comments are generally like "OMG I'm so ugly", etc because it's just fishing for compliments.
Reply 36
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I've been reading quite a few feature articles on this recently, and I'm curious to know what people think about girls who take lots of photos of themselves (selfies), and upload them onto social networking sites?

Do you think they come across as self absorbed, or are they simply making use of social networking sites? I'm just curious as I have a lot of girls on my Facebook who take photos of themselves everyday and/or link their instagram in and i'm that it is starting to annoy me! :p: I have nothing against selfies, but some people take so many that it comes across as vain and desperate....

I think it's kind of worse when, after a couple of weeks and they don't think they've got enough likes (on Facebook) for that photo, they keep sharing it over and over again.
It doesn't bother me -but I do question a little why they do it,depending on the person.

Some of my fb profile pictures have been 'selfies' because for some reason there are very few good photos of my face where you can actually see it well and I like people who want to find me on facebook, being able to recognise me!
I suppose it can be an insecurity/fishing for compliment thing as well, seeking approval-but also I think this about people whose photos are all of them on nights out, I always think maybe they want people to think they're really popular and fun and have a really busy social life-some people I know who do this, are actually the opposite so that's what makes me think.
(Not saying EVERYBODY who does that is like that, of course but I have noticed a pattern in the people I know who do it).
Reply 38
I'm not facebook famous I've never got like 70 likes on a photo but if I'm going anywhere nice or with friends we tend to take pictures and post them on facebook haha, I do take pics on instagram a lot but don't link those ones to my facebook so I don't look vain haha, I certainly don't take them every day though :smile:
While it's good to have confidence in yourself, it can get annoying having people cluttering up your feed with dozens of photos of themselves at slightly different angles in McDonalds toilets/night clubs or something. Enjoy your night out, why waste it taking photos every two seconds? Not a single photo on my profile was taken by myself at arms length/in the mirror, it looks crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending