The Student Room Group

Abu Qatada deportation bid fails, again.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrogInABog
I can just imagine it: he's walking down a busy street, then all of a sudden, he feels something prick his leg! He looks around, and sees a man hurrying away with a suspicious-looking umbrella, but thinks nothing of it. Later on, he is taken to hospital, dies in his sleep, and nobody is any the wiser... :ninja:

Spoiler

I know, right? You'd think *something* would have happened to him by now... All of this makes me think that we don't even know half of the story - but I'm just trying to think up a conspiracy theory that actually makes sense, but I can't: something along the lines of, "Abu Qatada isn't even a legitimate terrorist/threat, but is being paid by the Government to maintain a facade/is a British secret agent", but it still wouldn't explain a backstory or motives.... Hmmm... :beard:

But of course, minus the silly conspiracy theories - it's really down to the laws, right, and our upholding of principles, no?
(edited 11 years ago)
I bet Teresa May wishes she had the guy that bumped off Berezovsky's phone number
This is ridiculous, Jordan has laws preventing the use of torture confessions in court and they've already promised that Qatada would get a free trial, exactly what more can we do? By the letter of the law we've got all the assurances we need that he'd in theory get a fair trial and we should be able to deport him.
This is nothing more than some pretentious liberal judges engaging in judicial activism.
Oh England.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum you hail from, we need to step up our game and be harsher on guys like this.
Deport the **** and **** the fine. Even better, drop him in the North Sea. Job done, problem solved.

He's taking the absolute piss. Stop being so spineless and get him out.
Reply 25
Original post by iamgreatness
We need to leave the EU.

Well that's a non-sequitur if i've ever seen one. What has this got to do with the EU?!
Original post by nexttime
Well that's a non-sequitur if i've ever seen one. What has this got to do with the EU?!

The EU stopped us deporting him the first time. I thought they were behind this again. regardless, i still stand by my comment.
Reply 27
Absolutely! And save fuel by dumping him out of the plane at about 500ft, rather than landing!
Reply 28
Woah, déjá vu.
Reply 29
Let us have no more reactionary nonsense spoken about this matter and recognize (as the judge rightly did) that protecting this man from all logically possible, theoretical, and hypothetical (possible) future harm (and consequences of his actions) must be the absolute number one priority of the British state and certainly takes high moral precedence over the rights and safety of its actual citizens who have a right to be here - a Solomon-like judgment if ever there was one!

Like most people, I personally would be only too delighted if my entire family were wiped out in a terroist atrocity if this is the price one has to pay for upholding this man's right to plot death, destruction and mayhem for those who offend his delicate sensibility whilst being fully protected by the British state and legal system from all possible future consequences of his actions - a right which, after all, has been thoroughly enjoyed by most criminals in the UK for many years.

The real ufairness in this case is that this man is having his rights protected by the British legal system whilst all over the world there are terroists, murderers and criminals of every description whose rights ae not receiving the same potection in less savoury regimes - a situation with which no humane, progressive and egalitarian mind can possibly be satisfied. Therefore, to be fair, equal, and consistent in our upholding of human rights, let us make it a legal obligation on our government to send out explicit invitations to murderers, terrorists, rapists, paedophiles, and drug dealers all over the world so that they can all come to the UK and have their human rights protected. Then, instead of arbitrarily and unequally protecting the odd individual that happens to (illegally) turn up, we can have potentially tens of millions of criminals systematically pouring into our country to enjoy the full protection of the universal human rights they respect so deeply the moment they are arrested - whilst no doubt adding also, in their own interesting and fascinating ways, to the rich and colourful diversity of our culture!
Original post by Architecture-er

Just dump his **** ass, the government should be perfectly free to expel non-citizens who they feel don't deserve to be here.

Yeah, people have tried that before.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_Asians_from_Uganda
The EU stopped us deporting him the first time. I thought they were behind this again. regardless, i still stand by my comment.

No, the European Court (a separate organisation) did. We'd still be a party to that even if we left the EU.
Original post by anarchism101
Yeah, people have tried that before.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_Asians_from_Uganda

Perhaps I should've clarified that by "not deserve to be here" I mean being highly suspected of illegal activities, rather than a generic ethnic cleansing.
Original post by Harry Callahan
Deport the **** and **** the fine. Even better, drop him in the North Sea. Job done, problem solved.

He's taking the absolute piss. Stop being so spineless and get him out.

Yeah, let's just throw out legal procedure and the rule of law in favour of just letting the government execute whoever they like. That'll work out great.
Perhaps I should've clarified that by "not deserve to be here" I mean being highly suspected of illegal activities, rather than a generic ethnic cleansing.

Abu Qatada remains yet to be charged in the UK. This whole saga is about a crime he's accused of in Jordan, for which the evidence is quite flimsy and almost certainly obtained through torture.

If you want to try him under UK law, OK, but that's a separate issue and needs to be seen as such.
No, the European Court (a separate organisation) did. We'd still be a party to that even if we left the EU.

then we leave the european court.
Abu Qatada remains yet to be charged in the UK. This whole saga is about a crime he's accused of in Jordan, for which the evidence is quite flimsy and almost certainly obtained through torture.

If you want to try him under UK law, OK, but that's a separate issue and needs to be seen as such.

The beliefs he espouses are totally unlawful and could easily incite terrorism acts in the UK. A country should have the right to remove non-citizens it thinks would threaten national security - they're only present in the UK as guests, if you will.

The vast majority of countries wouldn't have any problems with doing this. We don't want him, we should be able to get rid of him. **** where he goes, we don't care about that, we just don't want him inciting religious violence on our soil
then we leave the european court.

The only European country not in the European Court is the corrupt dictatorship of Belarus, just to give you an idea of the club we'be joining if we left.
The beliefs he espouses are totally unlawful and could easily incite terrorism acts in the UK. A country should have the right to remove non-citizens it thinks would threaten national security - they're only present in the UK as guests, if you will.

The vast majority of countries wouldn't have any problems with doing this. We don't want him, we should be able to get rid of him. **** where he goes, we don't care about that, we just don't want him inciting religious violence on our soil

Then charge him with incitement of hatred/incitement to commit violence/etc and put him on trial in a British court. As of yet, none of those things have happened, therefore he's innocent until proven guilty and can't be deported on that basis.
The only European country not in the European Court is the corrupt dictatorship of Belarus, just to give you an idea of the club we'be joining if we left.

i don't care, as a sovereign nation we have the right to deport anybody we chose to for national security. Electing political parties for them to not have complete control of the country is disgusting and lingering down a disturbingly fascist path.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending