The Student Room Group

I really, really want to do A-level Chemistry?

Okay basically I really enjoy Science. Especially Biology and Chemistry, I have got one grade B GCSE for year 10 and I am predicted a grade A for this year's additional science GCSE. I have been studying the OCR 21st Century Science examination board and I have done the 4th module for additional Science and achieved an A* which was unexpected. I am nor an A/A* student at school. Anyways getting to the point will I still be capable of doing Chemistry even if I have a grade C in Maths? I can do Maths in Science but not in Maths. I am struggling to achieve a B and currently doing Geometry and I am extremely weak in that topic. I understand I will struggle but to what degree? I am a very dedicated individual and have a passion for Science. I will appreciate all answers thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think it can be done, as you do get a calculator and it's mainly stuff to do with rearranging equations and then plugging the numbers in. My friend does Chemistry and she isn't great with Maths and she survives but she sometimes makes silly mistakes and loses marks for it. You just have to be prepared to put time aside for working on your maths skills in your A Level, or for finding ways that make sense to you. Also, check everything you do and don't take shortcuts - if you write down all the separate calculations you do, you (or your teacher or your examiner) will find it easier to understand what you have done and where you have gone wrong
You will still be capable, but honestly it's heavily maths based. Most of the exam will be calculations that are follow through questions, so you have to be quite confident with manipulating equations etc. or else you're pretty much struggling to pass. I do a level chemistry (AS year student) and I love it, however doing a level maths alongside it has helped me quite a lot. (Got an A in GCSE maths). I know people who got a C and do chem, and are getting on fine, and I know other GCSE C grade maths students who are basically straight U grades throughout all the weekly chemistry tests we have, and even got a U in the AS exam. It just depends on your attitude. You say you like chemistry, why not give it a try? I'm sure you'd be fine judging by your likeness for the subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hey... I got a C in Maths and I do Chemistry at HL in the IB... So.dont worry about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Generally you will need to be competent with sums, multiplication and knowing how to deal with various units. pH and buffers is the most demanding, from a maths point of view.
Reply 5
Original post by brainx
Hey... I got a C in Maths and I do Chemistry at HL in the IB... So.dont worry about it...

What's HL and IB?
Reply 6
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I think it can be done, as you do get a calculator and it's mainly stuff to do with rearranging equations and then plugging the numbers in. My friend does Chemistry and she isn't great with Maths and she survives but she sometimes makes silly mistakes and loses marks for it. You just have to be prepared to put time aside for working on your maths skills in your A Level, or for finding ways that make sense to you. Also, check everything you do and don't take shortcuts - if you write down all the separate calculations you do, you (or your teacher or your examiner) will find it easier to understand what you have done and where you have gone wrong

Thankyou for your post :smile:
[QUOTE="Tidalwave;41986215"]
Original post by brainx

What's HL and IB?

IB = International Baccalaureate
It's an A Level equivalent

HL = Higher Level
In the IB, you take 6 subjects (some are compulsory). 3 of those are at Higher Level (so more advanced) and 3 are at Standard Level
Reply 8
Original post by SheldonCooper_96
You will still be capable, but honestly it's heavily maths based. Most of the exam will be calculations that are follow through questions, so you have to be quite confident with manipulating equations etc. or else you're pretty much struggling to pass. I do a level chemistry (AS year student) and I love it, however doing a level maths alongside it has helped me quite a lot. (Got an A in GCSE maths). I know people who got a C and do chem, and are getting on fine, and I know other GCSE C grade maths students who are basically straight U grades throughout all the weekly chemistry tests we have, and even got a U in the AS exam. It just depends on your attitude. You say you like chemistry, why not give it a try? I'm sure you'd be fine judging by your likeness for the subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou for your post :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by James A
Generally you will need to be competent with sums, multiplication and knowing how to deal with various units. pH and buffers is the most demanding, from a maths point of view.

thankyou for your post and yes I am competent with multiplication and units :biggrin:
Reply 10
You can do Chemistry without being the greatest at Maths. I got a very poor grade in AS Maths but I got an A in AS Chemistry and currently on track for an A in A2 Chemistry. It might take you a little longer to get your head around some of the sums, it definitely does for me, but a lot of the sums are quite simple and you just need to submit numbers into equations. Memorising the equations is often the hardest part!
Reply 11
Ohhh okay I understand now, thankyou :smile:
Reply 12
Hey... Its equivalent to 6 Alevels and is pretty hardcore... No social life for me :frown:
Oh and its recognised world wide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
[QUOTE="NinjaNerdfighter;41986241"]
Original post by Tidalwave

IB = International Baccalaureate
It's an A Level equivalent

HL = Higher Level
In the IB, you take 6 subjects (some are compulsory). 3 of those are at Higher Level (so more advanced) and 3 are at Standard Level

Hit it right on the head :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay basically I really enjoy Science. Especially Biology and Chemistry, I have got one grade B GCSE for year 10 and I am predicted a grade A for this year's additional science GCSE. I have been studying the OCR 21st Century Science examination board and I have done the 4th module for additional Science and achieved an A* which was unexpected. I am nor an A/A* student at school. Anyways getting to the point will I still be capable of doing Chemistry even if I have a grade C in Maths? I can do Maths in Science but not in Maths. I am struggling to achieve a B and currently doing Geometry and I am extremely weak in that topic. I understand I will struggle but to what degree? I am a very dedicated individual and have a passion for Science. I will appreciate all answers thankyou :smile:

I'm currently studying OCR chemistry AS level, I got an A at GCSE maths, but took my exam a year early so spent all of last year doing no maths at all. I've taken my january exam, achieving a B, and i'm currently working towards the june unit.
You may have done titrations in GCSE chemistry, or you may have not, if you have then the maths is similar to those calculations, I honestly struggled slightly with the calcualtions in the first unit to begin with, but with the right teaching and the right help the maths in OCR chemistry is easy to understand, it just takes practice! I can do similar questions with ease now and i don't know what all the fuss was earlier this year!

At my sixth form the requirements for chemistry a level were either a C or B in maths, and a B in chemistry, so just watch out for that when choosing your subjects! If they require a B and you have a C then talk to the head of department at your chosen college and if you persuade them enough i'm sure they'll allow you to do it anyway:smile: Good luck! <3
For the record, I got a high B at AS and got a high B overall at the end of A2. When doing your a-level chemistry, make sure you take the assessed practicals seriously as it gives you a good chance to boost your overall marks.

its a shame I didn't take the practicals seriously enough, otherwise I would have had my A by now :/
Reply 16
Original post by James A
For the record, I got a high B at AS and got a high B overall at the end of A2. When doing your a-level chemistry, make sure you take the assessed practicals seriously as it gives you a good chance to boost your overall marks.

its a shame I didn't take the practicals seriously enough, otherwise I would have had my A by now :/

100% agree with this. Getting A's on my practicals when initially getting a lower mark on one of my AS papers is what bumped my grade up.
Reply 17
It is possible to muddle your way through the calculations with very little understanding, the majority of my class did this and did pretty well. My teacher just made them memorise equations so it was just knowing what numbers went where.
Original post by H0ls
100% agree with this. Getting A's on my practicals when initially getting a lower mark on one of my AS papers is what bumped my grade up.

Yeah, these A-levels reward people if they are persistent with their homework/revision/studying.

The thing is that I lost my marks, not on the actual practical, but on the questions that followed it. Had I been competent with my revision, I would have got those questions right, sadly I got 44/60 and 40/60 respectively for my AS and A2 practicals :rofl:. Hence this June I'm doing unit 2 and unit 5 respectively, to regain my 15 ums :cool:
Reply 19

I do A Level Maths and am achieving A/B grades in all of the past papers for Maths, yet I still find some of the Maths needed in Chemistry difficult. Also, OCR 21st Century aren't the best exam board to do, we did that, and I moved to a different school for sixth form and they had done a different exam board which had a lot more information in! I'd advise you to learn C7 over the summer, and read about moles on a chemistry website, such as chemguide.co.uk so that you won't be as far behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest