The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde University: Ask a current student.

Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Oh and quote me or I might not see it :biggrin:

Edit: I've now actually left strathclyde however I still have a huge amount of knowledge about glasgow and strath so I'm sure I'll be able to help find out the answer with you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyrical_lie
Hi there,

I'm a third year law student, heavily involved in the uni, clubs, societies, the union etc. So if you have any questions bring them here and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know I'll find out for you. :awesome:

Hey! Strathclyde have offered me a place in the journalism and creative writing course, as well as history. I was wondering what building do the lectures for social science/ arts take place in?

Also is there any student rivalry between Glasgow and Strathclyde?

Thanks, Sean
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by seankearns10
Hey! Strathclyde have offered me a place in the journalism and creative writing course, as well as history. I was wondering what building do the lectures for social science/ arts take place in?

Also is there any student rivalry between Glasgow and Strathclyde?

Thanks, Sean

Hi there, there isn't really set lecture theatres since we lost a building to a fire and they closed Jordan Hill so we have more people on the main campus now. If I remember correctly they could be in Graham Hills (which has the law school reception). Thomas Graham and Royal College are the main ones. They just remodelled the Lord Hope building but that's mainly teaching.

And a little bit but it's just banter, like there is the Glasgow Cup which is a sport competition between Strathy, Caley and Glasgow. But nothing that would cause fights or anything. My best friends go to Glasgow and it's just light mocking of each other.

Well done on your offer :smile:

Gemma
Reply 3
Hi there,

Great idea, thanks a lot! I applied for computer science and still haven't had a reply but I'm anyway considering if I'll be going there or not. Well first I'm going to ask you if you know any CS students or anyway from the department and if yes what are their opinions on the course, etc... Another thing is sports: how are the facilities? They don't look great IMO, especially the swimming pool (I like swimming a lot). Is it always packed out (i heard only 12 people at the time)? What I'd like is to pop into the swimming pool and have a swim straight away but I doubt it works like that. Then, synthetic grass pitches: do they exist? Another sport I like a lot is five-a-side football on synthetic grass... Is it possible with the university facilities? Last but not least the libraries... I don't understand how many they are and how they work. Is there only the John Anderson library? Are there any libraries or IT spaces opened for 24 hours? I like studying at night... XD
Then the usual questions: what aren't you enjoying there? How's the accommodation? Student life?

Most of these questions could be easily answered by visiting the university itself on an open day but until they reply I can't do much.

Please answer whatever you can and thanks so much for your offer to help, you can't imagine how useful this is for me...

David

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jeezus
Great idea, thanks a lot! I applied for computer science and still haven't had a reply but I'm anyway considering if I'll be going there or not. Well first I'm going to ask you if you know any CS students or anyway from the department and if yes what are their opinions on the course, etc
Yup I do know a few, I'll give them a wee message on facebook and ask their opinions on it and get back to you on this point

.. Another thing is sports: how are the facilities? They don't look great IMO, especially the swimming pool (I like swimming a lot). Is it always packed out (i heard only 12 people at the time)? What I'd like is to pop into the swimming pool and have a swim straight away but I doubt it works like that. Then, synthetic grass pitches: do they exist? Another sport I like a lot is five-a-side football on synthetic grass... Is it possible with the university facilities?

Sports facilities are pretty good, you have pretty much every sport and a really active sports union (which I'm involved in :tongue: my sport is archery) You have the centre for recreation across the road from the union and that's where basketball, archery, dance classes, indoor football, badminton, the gym (cardio and weights) are. Regarding hockey and football I'm pretty sure they go to Millerston and provide buses to get there, I used to go there in high school and there is astro turf as I played hockey on it. Pretty sure that's where they play football too but don't quote be on that. Also they use kelvinhall in the west end for things like squash. The swimming pool is ok, when I've went in the past I've never been turned away. However you do need sports union membership which is £25 for two semesters to use any of the facilities and to join sports clubs as that is your insurance and the swimming pool is about £1.50 a session. They do have classes and subaqua and the swimming club do use it for training but apart from that you can go as and when.

Last but not least the libraries... I don't understand how many they are and how they work. Is there only the John Anderson library? Are there any libraries or IT spaces opened for 24 hours? I like studying at night... XD
There's just the one library and it is 5 floors. They're in the process of doing it up so floors one and two are all nice now. Floor one is silent silent study, two is group work with some rooms you can book for group work, three is the main floor with the short loan and two massive computer areas and two lib labs with computers(I'm in one right now). Four and five are just general studying, the law books are on level 5, sociology on 4 etc. If you're studying computing you will more than likely be in the livingston tower building which has specific computer labs for computing students. People have been fighting the uni for years for longer opening time, it used to only be open til 9pm during the week but now the library is open til midnight and 24hour during exam diets.

Then the usual questions: what aren't you enjoying there? How's the accommodation? Student life?

You won't enjoy the hills the campus is one giant hill :tongue: also I have to pay for printing which is quite dear in the library whereas chemistry students don't that's a bit annoying and also we don't get our handbooks printed anymore as it's all online, the union for support is pretty good, and good for predrinks/pool game but not for a huge big night out(except freshers week) The accommodation I can only give you second hand info as I live at home, but the cheaper accommodation is Birkbeck and it is pretty small and you share your toilet/shower with about 4 people. Murray hall is more of a big corridor of rooms rather than a flat then there is the posh ones such as Chancellors with your en suit and a really cool door into the building that slides :awesome: You're in Glasgow so if you like going on nights out you're sorted they have loads of clubs (Kushion, Bamboo for your RnB type stuff, Garage, Cathouse for more kinda rock/indie stuff. Although room 2 of Bamboo is indie. If you prefer pubs and bars there is a few good shot bars, there is a Vodka Rev and also a bar called Tingle which are good. There are plenty of clubs to get involved in and lots of charities too. So there is a bit of everything. In freshers week they have the freshers fare where all the clubs and societies have stalls and you can get more information at that.

Most of these questions could be easily answered by visiting the university itself on an open day but until they reply I can't do much.

Please answer whatever you can and thanks so much for your offer to help, you can't imagine how useful this is for me...

David

Heya, I answered in your quote in bold so I wouldn't miss anything. Basically its a good uni, each department will have something you'll moan about for example us law students not having enough copies of a certain book in the library but overall it's got everything you need. It's pretty highly respected the business school, the engineering and the primary education are all highly sought after places. Also we were just voted The Times university of the year which is pretty good.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask and good look on your application.

Gemma xx
Reply 5
Hiya guys, I'm a 1st year student doing BEd Primary Education. :ahee: I'm more active in the more nerdy societies, do kendo and will soon start chorus (I forgot to join, oops). Also an EU student so can give a perspective in that way too. :smile:

Original post by Jeezus
Great idea, thanks a lot! I applied for computer science and still haven't had a reply but I'm anyway considering if I'll be going there or not. Well first I'm going to ask you if you know any CS students or anyway from the department and if yes what are their opinions on the course, etc... Another thing is sports: how are the facilities? They don't look great IMO, especially the swimming pool (I like swimming a lot). Is it always packed out (i heard only 12 people at the time)? What I'd like is to pop into the swimming pool and have a swim straight away but I doubt it works like that. Then, synthetic grass pitches: do they exist? Another sport I like a lot is five-a-side football on synthetic grass... Is it possible with the university facilities? Last but not least the libraries... I don't understand how many they are and how they work. Is there only the John Anderson library? Are there any libraries or IT spaces opened for 24 hours? I like studying at night... XD

David

As I'm soon to run off to the library I'll just give a short say in couple of the things.

I do kendo at the uni and we've been having some problems with the facilities. Either it's the next people coming in complaining that the room smells after we're done (uh, we do a sport in there, what do they expect, flowers and sunshine?), or we're put in two separate squash rooms (wtf?). Royal College Gym is good though.
The facilities have gone under refurbishment and I believe they're continuing that. As the whole campus is getting new buildings built, there's a possibility of a new, better sports facility being built too. Or then it's just wishful thinking. :tongue:
I believe football is played in a nearby field or something. Check the Sports Union website for more info. I have no idea about the swimming pool, I get a headache for smelling the place from two floors up anyways. :ninja:

Library is currently open til midnight Mon-Fri and 9pm Sat and Sun. Next exam time we're getting 24h access and I believe they are considering making it open 24h starting next year, but that's rumours.

Accommodation is alright, and they do try to take your requests into consideration but as it's a big place, not all can be satisfied. I for example live in James Blyth Court and this is probably the most quiet corner that I know. Birkbeck and Chancellors area are in my opinion the loudest and as Todd's (the campus bar) is in the centre of things, people living next to it might get the midnight roars. As lyrical_lie said, Birkbeck is small. I thought my room in JBC was tiny but then I saw my friend's flat. wow. They have 6 people sharing their flat and tiny kitchen, but then again the rent is the cheapest. JBC and TCC can have either 4 or 8 person flats, but the 8 person flats are two separate corridors for 4 rooms and toilet and separate shower room, and each have their own kitchen. Kitchens are open to the lounge. The lights in JBC and TCC however are utterly crap and I'm so thankful it's getting lighter and lighter outdoors. The only ceiling lights can be found in the bathroom. The rooms have one corner wall light and a desk lamp, and it just isn't enough to light everything in the rooms. Lounge lights are poo as well and don't really do anything unless it's very dark outside. Same for kitchen.

What I don't enjoy are the current library opening times (I like studying in the weekend after 9pm... Not possible) and some stuff that is very course specific. The staff can be so unclear about room changes, and to be honest, we've had a very odd lecture hall and tutorial rooms change where our module leader didn't even know about it and was rather pissed off. Thankfully it got sorted and we're in an alright lecture theatre, although it's far from being as good as McCance 301... :moon:

x

Archery, eh? I believe we have mutual acquaintances/friends then. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Heya, I answered in your quote in bold so I wouldn't miss anything. Basically its a good uni, each department will have something you'll moan about for example us law students not having enough copies of a certain book in the library but overall it's got everything you need. It's pretty highly respected the business school, the engineering and the primary education are all highly sought after places. Also we were just voted The Times university of the year which is pretty good.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask and good look on your application.

Gemma xx

My god... Thank you!!!
I'll be here waiting for your friends' reply... :biggrin:
About the football pitches, astro turf is what I meant... Who knows if they also use the hockey pitch as a football one (they're the same...). About the swimming pool, I'm totally fine with the prices, those aren't the problem, I was more concerned about the size of it and its capacity, but for what you said it doesn't sound that bad.
I'm happy to hear about the library, I hope they'll consider keeping it open for 24 hours longer... I'd have two other questions about the library: is there Wi-Fi access? If yes, how is it? And then, have you ever had problems finding a place on a computer or are there enough? I'd also ask how's the Livinstone Tower but I doubt you ever got in it...
Anyway it sounds good, I really hope they'll give me an offer...

Oh, and last thing: I heard the accent in Glasgow can get pretty incomprehensible... I'm italian but i know english, let's say by international standards... Can it be a problem sometimes to understand?

Thanks again Gemma, and good luck with your degree! :smile:

Original post by FinnLassie
Hiya guys, I'm a 1st year student doing BEd Primary Education. :ahee: I'm more active in the more nerdy societies, do kendo and will soon start chorus (I forgot to join, oops). Also an EU student so can give a perspective in that way too. :smile:

As I'm soon to run off to the library I'll just give a short say in couple of the things.

I do kendo at the uni and we've been having some problems with the facilities. Either it's the next people coming in complaining that the room smells after we're done (uh, we do a sport in there, what do they expect, flowers and sunshine?), or we're put in two separate squash rooms (wtf?). Royal College Gym is good though.
The facilities have gone under refurbishment and I believe they're continuing that. As the whole campus is getting new buildings built, there's a possibility of a new, better sports facility being built too. Or then it's just wishful thinking. :tongue:
I believe football is played in a nearby field or something. Check the Sports Union website for more info. I have no idea about the swimming pool, I get a headache for smelling the place from two floors up anyways. :ninja:

Library is currently open til midnight Mon-Fri and 9pm Sat and Sun. Next exam time we're getting 24h access and I believe they are considering making it open 24h starting next year, but that's rumours.

Accommodation is alright, and they do try to take your requests into consideration but as it's a big place, not all can be satisfied. I for example live in James Blyth Court and this is probably the most quiet corner that I know. Birkbeck and Chancellors area are in my opinion the loudest and as Todd's (the campus bar) is in the centre of things, people living next to it might get the midnight roars. As lyrical_lie said, Birkbeck is small. I thought my room in JBC was tiny but then I saw my friend's flat. wow. They have 6 people sharing their flat and tiny kitchen, but then again the rent is the cheapest. JBC and TCC can have either 4 or 8 person flats, but the 8 person flats are two separate corridors for 4 rooms and toilet and separate shower room, and each have their own kitchen. Kitchens are open to the lounge. The lights in JBC and TCC however are utterly crap and I'm so thankful it's getting lighter and lighter outdoors. The only ceiling lights can be found in the bathroom. The rooms have one corner wall light and a desk lamp, and it just isn't enough to light everything in the rooms. Lounge lights are poo as well and don't really do anything unless it's very dark outside. Same for kitchen.

What I don't enjoy are the current library opening times (I like studying in the weekend after 9pm... Not possible) and some stuff that is very course specific. The staff can be so unclear about room changes, and to be honest, we've had a very odd lecture hall and tutorial rooms change where our module leader didn't even know about it and was rather pissed off. Thankfully it got sorted and we're in an alright lecture theatre, although it's far from being as good as McCance 301... :moon:

Archery, eh? I believe we have mutual acquaintances/friends then. :tongue:

Good to hear about the accomodation... IIRC it's important to choose where you go and stay? They're not all the same?
I really hope they'll keep the library for 24 hours all year. I like studying late as well...
Anyway you said you're an EU student... Finnish perhaps (nickname)? I'm from Naples, Italy. How many EU and international students are there? Is there some sort of orientation week before you start your course (even before freshers week)? Oh and while you're there... Did you hear any italians? (ahah)

Thanks FinnLassie. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Jeezus
is there Wi-Fi access? If yes, how is it? And then, have you ever had problems finding a place on a computer or are there enough? I'd also ask how's the Livinstone Tower but I doubt you ever got in it...

Oh, and last thing: I heard the accent in Glasgow can get pretty incomprehensible... I'm italian but i know english, let's say by international standards... Can it be a problem sometimes to understand?

Good to hear about the accomodation... IIRC it's important to choose where you go and stay? They're not all the same?
I really hope they'll keep the library for 24 hours all year. I like studying late as well...
Anyway you said you're an EU student... Finnish perhaps (nickname)? I'm from Naples, Italy. How many EU and international students are there? Is there some sort of orientation week before you start your course (even before freshers week)? Oh and while you're there... Did you hear any italians? (ahah)

Thanks FinnLassie. :smile:

Aye, the halls are not all the same. Some are bigger, some are newer, some have less flatmates to live with. The Accommodation at Strathclyde thread has some info, and well, I can say that James Blyth Court and Thomas Campbell Court are alright but your closet is situated a bit.. oddly. And the lighting is bad in the rooms. The mattress is uncomfortable after a couple of weeks of use but I guess everyone faces that problem.

There's wifi access all around the university. To be honest, it's bad at the Union (well, it can sometimes work there...) but alright elsewhere. There are two wifis - eduoram and Strathclyde bluesocket and for both you need to use your Strathclyde login details. I believe they're trying to get rid of the bluesocket system but eduoram still has a lot to be done with before that can happen. Also, I can't get it to work on all of the floors in the library, boo. :frown: When it's busy hours it's hard to find a computer and you just sort of have to hunt your place, I've had the hardest time finding a spot between 2pm and 4pm, and then of course when it's exam season the library is packed for even longer.

Well, you're at the university so you will hear a large range of accents. To be honest, if you're not that used to different accents you will find it a tad hard but you will get used to it in no time.

There is an international welcome thing but personally I didn't go as I was occupied with a lot of other things during Freshers' Week. :tongue: You will get used to the life, there's also the International Society to turn to. Strathclyde has a good amount of internationals, you can try to find the exact numbers on Strathclyde's website, I know it's there somewhere. :')

All the Italians I know have been Erasmus students. But there are some. Personally I don't even know many Finns here but I heard from my flatmate that there's a big amount of them. I'm not active in the international circles.
Reply 8
Aye, the halls are not all the same. Some are bigger, some are newer, some have less flatmates to live with. The Accommodation at Strathclyde thread has some info, and well, I can say that James Blyth Court and Thomas Campbell Court are alright but your closet is situated a bit.. oddly. And the lighting is bad in the rooms. The mattress is uncomfortable after a couple of weeks of use but I guess everyone faces that problem.

There's wifi access all around the university. To be honest, it's bad at the Union (well, it can sometimes work there...) but alright elsewhere. There are two wifis - eduoram and Strathclyde bluesocket and for both you need to use your Strathclyde login details. I believe they're trying to get rid of the bluesocket system but eduoram still has a lot to be done with before that can happen. Also, I can't get it to work on all of the floors in the library, boo. :frown: When it's busy hours it's hard to find a computer and you just sort of have to hunt your place, I've had the hardest time finding a spot between 2pm and 4pm, and then of course when it's exam season the library is packed for even longer.

Well, you're at the university so you will hear a large range of accents. To be honest, if you're not that used to different accents you will find it a tad hard but you will get used to it in no time.

There is an international welcome thing but personally I didn't go as I was occupied with a lot of other things during Freshers' Week. :tongue: You will get used to the life, there's also the International Society to turn to. Strathclyde has a good amount of internationals, you can try to find the exact numbers on Strathclyde's website, I know it's there somewhere. :')

All the Italians I know have been Erasmus students. But there are some. Personally I don't even know many Finns here but I heard from my flatmate that there's a big amount of them. I'm not active in the international circles.

Ok thanks. While we're there, I'd like to ask you how was freshers week. You're Finnish so I guess you went alone there without knowing anybody? I'll be doing the same. Does it make a difference or was it great all the same?

Hey, I've applied to study Sport and Physical Activity at Strathclyde. Haven't heard back yet though but thought I would ask a few questions. Do you know anyone studying sport at the moment and if so what are their opinions on it? Are they enjoying it? I don't suppose you know what building the teaching is in? Also the list of the sports clubs on the Sports Union page, is that all of the sports clubs? I love all sports but I play netball and hockey at the moment. I believe your netball team train on Monday nights so it would clash with my netball club at home (I live about a 40 minutes train journey away so I would live at home) and I think the hockey trains at the Stepps facility but a friend said that getting there was quite difficult as it was a bit out from the uni. Do you know if this is true or if there are ever buses run? The team I play hockey with at the moment train literally 5 minutes from my house so I think it's probably easier to stay with them but I feel I would miss out by not joining the clubs at uni if you get me? Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Jeezus
Ok thanks. While we're there, I'd like to ask you how was freshers week. You're Finnish so I guess you went alone there without knowing anybody? I'll be doing the same. Does it make a difference or was it great all the same?

Actually, we met up with other TSR members to go together to the parties and such. I also just sort of met people during the events, especially when the Freshers' Fair was on (clubs & societies introduced each other). :smile: Don't worry if you don't hang out with people you meet on Freshers' Week afterwards though, it's normal.

What kind of stuff are you interested in? You will surely meet likeminded people through the clubs & societies. :smile:
Reply 11
Actually, we met up with other TSR members to go together to the parties and such. I also just sort of met people during the events, especially when the Freshers' Fair was on (clubs & societies introduced each other). :smile: Don't worry if you don't hang out with people you meet on Freshers' Week afterwards though, it's normal.

What kind of stuff are you interested in? You will surely meet likeminded people through the clubs & societies. :smile:

Well many things... I think I'll join the Italian and the international society, Maybe the geeksoc that I noticed... And others I don't know now... XD

Reply 12
Original post by Jeezus
Well many things... I think I'll join the Italian and the international society, Maybe the geeksoc that I noticed... And others I don't know now... XD

If you like geeky stuff, welcome to the Strathclyde University Roleplaying Game society! :biggrin: We play good ol' tabletop rpgs like Dungeons & Dragons but also have stuff like Pathfinder, Paranoia (which I might be GMing next year!), Star Wars... List goes on. :smile: We're a cool bunch. :tongue:
Reply 13
If you like geeky stuff, welcome to the Strathclyde University Roleplaying Game society! :biggrin: We play good ol' tabletop rpgs like Dungeons & Dragons but also have stuff like Pathfinder, Paranoia (which I might be GMing next year!), Star Wars... List goes on. :smile: We're a cool bunch. :tongue:

I can't tell because I never played RPGs. I'd like to try though ofc... I like some rpg videogames but that's another story. xD

Reply 14
Original post by Jeezus
I can't tell because I never played RPGs. I'd like to try though ofc... I like some rpg videogames but that's another story. xD

Come and try out, I'd say. :smile: I quite like some older JRPGs (Chrono Trigger, Pre-VII Final Fantasies) and it's sort of what got me into tabletop games as well. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Jeezus
My god... Thank you!!!
I'll be here waiting for your friends' reply... :biggrin:
I've posted on the archery page so hopefully get some replied on there as I know a few are computer scientists :smile:

About the football pitches, astro turf is what I meant... Who knows if they also use the hockey pitch as a football one (they're the same...).

About the swimming pool, I'm totally fine with the prices, those aren't the problem, I was more concerned about the size of it and its capacity, but for what you said it doesn't sound that bad.

I'm happy to hear about the library, I hope they'll consider keeping it open for 24 hours longer... I'd have two other questions about the library: is there Wi-Fi access?

Yup there is, it's not great but they are doing it up. It changed recently to EDUROAM from the orginal evil "bluesocket". It still has some bugs but it's getting there :biggrin:
If yes, how is it?

And then, have you ever had problems finding a place on a computer or are there enough?

There's usually enough there is lots of secret hidey holes and plenty of places to plug a laptop in especially in level 1 if you are using that :smile:.

I'd also ask how's the Livinstone Tower but I doubt you ever got in it...

Sometimes I have tutorials in there, it's a very very tall old building but plenty of rooms and computers by the sounds of it. All the buildings are same same.

I worked in FLorida and my roomate was from Naples, she struggled at the start as we speak very quickly but by the end of the trip we were jabbering away fast as anything.

Thanks again Gemma, and good luck with your degree! :smile:

Original post by Sportismylife
Hey, I've applied to study Sport and Physical Activity at Strathclyde. Haven't heard back yet though but thought I would ask a few questions. Do you know anyone studying sport at the moment and if so what are their opinions on it?
I don't unfortunately they all moved over from the Jordanhill facility, I haven't heard anything bad about it. They use the centre for recreation across from the union to use the gym and sports halls afaik.
Are they enjoying it?

I don't suppose you know what building the teaching is in?
Could be any there isn't really set buildings for any but I think their reception is in the Lord Hope next to the Library.

Also the list of the sports clubs on the Sports Union page, is that all of the sports clubs?
Yup, I'm a keen member of the sports union and I'm in committes and such there.

I love all sports but I play netball and hockey at the moment. I believe your netball team train on Monday nights so it would clash with my netball club at home (I live about a 40 minutes train journey away so I would live at home)

There websites can be out of date so I highly reccommend checking their facebook page which should be easy enough to find :smile:
and I think the hockey trains at the Stepps facility but a friend said that getting there was quite difficult as it was a bit out from the uni. Do you know if this is true or if there are ever buses run?

Yup they train at Steps, I was under the impression they provided transport but I may be totally wrong with this, because I would imagine a lot of people would be in the same position.

The team I play hockey with at the moment train literally 5 minutes from my house so I think it's probably easier to stay with them but I feel I would miss out by not joining the clubs at uni if you get me? Thanks!

You would miss out in some stuff such as the social side, we have the sports ball and bus crawls and such. As well as being part of the union where you could try new things you'd never think of such as sub aqua and ultimate frizbee. But if you're happy with your clubs I would stay at them. But I made most of my friends at uni through sport :smile:

And good luck with hearing back :smile:

I know most of them... so I have to lol at this statement :awesome:
Reply 16
And good luck with hearing back :smile:

I know most of them... so I have to lol at this statement :awesome:

Oi. :tongue:
Reply 17
Heeey :smile:

I am a first year IBML student, so I get teaching within the Business School and the HASS department as I currently study 4 business subjects and two languages :smile:

If anybody has any questions concerning the Business School, IBML (French, Spanish, Economics and Management Science in particular) quote me and I will answer you as soon as possible.

I also live in halls (Thomas Campbell Court to be precise) and can give some advice on that too.

I feel obliged to complain about Strathclyde's sh***y Wi-fi. Eduroam is almost never working in our halls, so everybody is using their ethernet cable and the Eduroam in the Library is very funky and kinda decides when it is going to work or not. I grew very accustomed to using library computers now, as they have a bigger screen and are all connected via ethernet cables, so they are all pretty fast. Opening times can be annoying, but the last VP of Education has informed us that if people are going to make good use of the 24 hours opening times in the May/ June Exam diet, it will be most likely implemented for the upcoming years. Normally the Vice Presidents and Class Reps contribute a lot to make your experience better and solve any major issues.
I almost live in the library, it doesn't have many windows, but I think that is alright, they have great group discussion facilities (including soundproof rooms with big screens).

I also think that the University Gym is very well equipped and has enough machines so that people do not need to wait until their preferred machines are free.

Overall, I absolutely love studying at Strathclyde. The support within the Business School is amazing and lecturers&tutors listen and help you as well as they can!

Anybody wanting more info about Business, IBML and languages just quote me :smile: I am happy to help! xxx
Reply 18
Original post by alaska.
x

Earlier in the year I got a response from the IT team about the poopy wi-fi in flats: The wi-fi is not supposed to be working in the rooms. Yeah. Marvellous. What the hell.

I have noticed that in the library the wi-fi does work but only in some specific areas. Level 4 silent study zone, especially the spots next to the windows? Works like an angel. Floor up on level 5? No wi-fi. But level 5 of the Curran building which is, well, nearly the same thing as library level 5, the wi-fi is good again. It's also a matter of how your device picks up the signal. My phone rarely gets it, but laptop works ok.
Hey guys, I'm a first year maths student and a member of the archery club, if anyone has any questions about maths or archery let me know. Anything else, I think other people here are better qualified to answer you :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending