The Student Room Group

Medics: Easter revision plan?

how are you guys splitting your time up? (preferably first years, but anyone is welcome to answer) :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tpxvs
how are you guys splitting your time up? (preferably first years, but anyone is welcome to answer) :smile:

Well I have 234 topics to split up (not even mentioning OSCE stuff) and I have 46 days.
Bad times.
I don't even have an Easter holiday :sigh:

2 days per specialty. Rinse and repeat until study leave, whereupon it becomes an hour per specialty.
Exams in mid-June, so I have a bit of breathing space now, but I don't get an Easter break (apart from the bank holidays) or any study leave. So I'm trying to make a complete set of notes for one specialty every 2 weeks. Already behind (Gastro+GI surgery have a frankly ridiculous number of learning objectives) but some areas have less to do, so I'm hoping to be pretty well organised by June.
Reply 4
Well this is my plan of action at any rate:

1) See how much revision there is to do
2) Weep
3) ?????
4) Profit!

:frown:

I'm trying to do a bit each day but we have another teaching block after the holidays so I'll probably forget it all by the time the exams actually roll round :rolleyes:
Original post by Becca-Sarah

2 days per specialty. Rinse and repeat until study leave, whereupon it becomes an hour per specialty.

Oh well we get a week in between last placement and finals.

I just meant in general haha. I think we used to get 6 weeks off! But to allow resits to be in the same year to allow resitters to take up their foundation posts they cut all that :frown:
Original post by Philosoraptor
Oh well we get a week in between last placement and finals.
(

Is that it?! We do have a week off before last placement and two weeks study leave so not bad at all in comparison. And resits a month later to allow us all into fifth year...
Reply 7
This thread makes me feel a little bit better, I was freaking out about how much stuff I had to learn. :tongue:
I've never been good at making timetables, or organising my revision. I've been meaning to do a little bit of work everyday, but I'm finding it hard to get started at the moment.

I think I might have to start organising some sort of revision timetable to help me get started, but also to make sure that I can cover everything during the holidays. No idea how I'm going to go about doing that though, so I'll be watching this thread very closely. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Philosoraptor
Well I have 234 topics to split up (not even mentioning OSCE stuff) and I have 46 days.
Bad times.

you are scaring me. what year are you? is this what i have in store :frown: is it as bad as it sounds? or as the years go by you get used to it and its bearable..?

Original post by Becca-Sarah

youre also scaring me. ohh man... how do you cope?!
Original post by tpxvs

youre also scaring me. ohh man... how do you cope?!

I've been at uni for four (nearly five) years already. You get used to it.
Hi, just need some advice as I'm on Easter break and currently revising for assessments at the start of next term, but will have real exams at the end of next term too. The two require me to focus on different things though, so I wanted to ask if it's a good idea to focus on the real exams once I get back (I'll have about 8 weeks of term time) or if I should just start from now.
Original post by confused dot com
Hi, just need some advice as I'm on Easter break and currently revising for assessments at the start of next term, but will have real exams at the end of next term too. The two require me to focus on different things though, so I wanted to ask if it's a good idea to focus on the real exams once I get back (I'll have about 8 weeks of term time) or if I should just start from now.

Collections don't matter, real exams do. I don't understand why you'd have to focus on different things though, my collections were pretty much the same as real exams.
Original post by confused dot com

It depends which topics your exams are on?

Although I would have imagined that 8 weeks would be plentiful to prepare for the real exams. It does however depend on your workload during term time.

Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Collections don't matter, real exams do. I don't understand why you'd have to focus on different things though, my collections were pretty much the same as real exams.

What are collections? and are they formative?
Reply 13

Edit: Just made a new account :colondollar:

The tutors set questions in a different format to the ones I've seen on the past papers so that's the only reason why. Also, for physiology and biochem, they said that they're only testing things from Hilary, but I wanted to do some revision from Michaelmas too,
Original post by carcinoma

Yeah they're (more or less) formative. They're internal to colleges and technically they could make you resit if you fail, but most colleges don't, afaik.

I wouldn't count on revising a great deal before the 2 week revision break. The previous 6 weeks are pretty much standard term workload.
Reply 15
Yeah they're (more or less) formative. They're internal to colleges and technically they could make you resit if you fail, but most colleges don't, afaik.

I wouldn't count on revising a great deal before the 2 week revision break. The previous 6 weeks are pretty much standard term workload.

Ah thanks. I'm starting to wish I'd done a lot more in the first half of this break now :/
Reply 16
Original post by carcinoma
It depends which topics your exams are on?

Although I would have imagined that 8 weeks would be plentiful to prepare for the real exams. It does however depend on your workload during term time.

Okay, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 17
I'm just getting to the end of my two week Easter break and haven't even opened a book. Regretting this now!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
1)Find out what a memory palace is

2)Try to get the hang of it

3)Use it to learn the whole of anatomy like a boss

4)Fail

5)Get kicked out of medical school
Original post by coconut2456
1)Find out what a memory palace is

One of my tutors is insistent that this is the best way of memorising, he spent half a tutorial trying to get us to think in such a way, ugh :K:

Quick Reply

Latest