The Student Room Group

Prestigious Uni or Normal Uni with my preferred course.

Right now I'm facing a tough decision and any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Right now I got all decisions back as followings (ordered by formal reputation ).

1. University of Bristol : Economics and Mathematics : rejected
2. University of Exeter : Economics : rejected
3. University of Nottingham : Economics : unconditional
4. Lancaster University : Economics and Mathematics : conditional
5. University of York : Economics and Mathematics : unconditional

At first I came up with an idea to put either York or Not as firm and finish everything.

However, I heard from many people in my country that Exeter and Bristol are much more prestigious and well-respected than three others. Accordingly, I decided to apply for international diploma program at Exeter (INTO) which allows direct entry into second year for Business Economics. After that I did get an unconditional offer to take that program at Exeter.

Right now I'm having a great difficulty in choosing between prestigious Uni one like Exeter who used to reject me before and normal Uni like York or Not that gave me an offer to study my preferred course at first.

Many thanks for any help with my concern !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
York and Nottingham are also very prestigious universities.

Go for the one you prefer the course of. They're all Russell Group, so I don't think prestige is to much of a concern.

Edit: Lancaster isn't Russell Group.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lancaster is not a Russell Group.

If it's prestige you want, I'd say either go for Nottingham or go for Exeter :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AyeFaye
York and Nottingham are also very prestigious universities.

Go for the one you prefer the course of. They're all Russell Group, so I don't think prestige is to much of a concern.

Edit: Lancaster isn't Russell Group.

Hello Thanks a lot for your advice !! ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Lancaster is not a Russell Group.

If it's prestige you want, I'd say either go for Nottingham or go for Exeter :smile:

Hello !! Many thanks for your suggestion. I might have to blend all factors together and see which one to go for. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Do the course that you want to do, don't do something you're not so keen on just to get into a "better uni".
Original post by Prospective UK
I heard from many people in my country that Exeter and Bristol are much more prestigious and well-respected than three others.

I cannot say what is true for how these universities are perceived in your home country but in the UK there is very little to choose between these 5. Certainly it would be difficult to make a case for the idea that any one of these 5 is "much more respected" than any one of the others.

If I were pressed to say which two of these five were marginally more respected here (to the extent that this even makes sense) it would be Bristol + one other. But that other wouldn't be Exeter.
Reply 7
Original post by StacFace
Do the course that you want to do, don't do something you're not so keen on just to get into a "better uni".

I fully understand your point. I think York's course really suits my objective and they didn't reject me at the first time like 2 others. For Nottingham they changed my original program (from Math and Econ to only Econ) so I'm not sure whether I would fit in their course happily.

Many thanks ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
I cannot say what is true for how these universities are perceived in your home country but in the UK there is very little to choose between these 5. Certainly it would be difficult to make a case for the idea that any one of these 5 is "much more respected" than any one of the others.

If I were pressed to say which two of these five were marginally more respected here (to the extent that this even makes sense) it would be Bristol + one other. But that other wouldn't be Exeter.

Thank you so much for your advice. Yeah I heard many people said that Economics for Not is relatively better than Exe and I saw someone in Student Room chose York over Exe in this field of study. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending