The Student Room Group

When moving off, which pedal do you hit first?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tycho
Why do people call it "gas"? :u:

Its quicker than acceleration, but most importatly it sounds cool/American!
Reply 21
I usually press the brake first.

I'm getting nowhere by doing it this way though.
Reply 22
Original post by James A
No, I always keep the handbrake when keeping the car is parked. It's always good practice to do so, it gives you that peace of mind incase the car does roll back slightly.

No, no, no, always find your biting point with the handbrake on, then release the handbrake. This is really important if you are on the hill, otherwise your car will roll back whilst you're busy trying to find the biting point.

Lol yeah I meant I always use the handbrake until I've found the bite on a hill, but when I'm setting off from being parked on a flat surface for example, I've always released it first while my foot's just on the clutch. I only use it when in traffic or when I've stalled to make sure it's safe, other than that I just keep my foot on the clutch in first when stopping.
Reply 23
That depends, are you in gear or neutral while standing? I usually let go of the break then the clutch then press on gas. But the last two are overlapping as in I might start on the gas while I still have say 80% of the clutch to release.
Reply 24
no? you press down the clutch, put it in gear then release the clutch very gently WHILE simultaneously applying the accelorator softly, then when the engine has caught, you press down the clutch and put it into second gear.

there's not a formula though, it depends on the car and you just kind of have to feel it and get to know how your car will go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Hold the clutch at the biting point - release hand brake. Sometimes this will be enough to get the car going. If not gently press the gas - around 1500 revs is enough unless you're on a hill.
Original post by FrogInABog
I think it was a Ford Fiesta (diesel), although I can't remember, to be honest. The car I drive at the moment is a Fiat Punto (petrol), which feels completely different.

Do you like the DS3? I thought it seemed pretty nice...

:smug:

The DS3 is amazing, hopefully Citroen can keep them in production for another two years, because once my no claims discount bonus increases after a couple of years with a cheap vw polo, then I can move on and buy the DS3.

It feels amazing to drive :sogood:, it has some nice features too, but the LED headlights at the front are just :coma: :love:.
Original post by snapper1
Lol yeah I meant I always use the handbrake until I've found the bite on a hill, but when I'm setting off from being parked on a flat surface for example, I've always released it first while my foot's just on the clutch. I only use it when in traffic or when I've stalled to make sure it's safe, other than that I just keep my foot on the clutch in first when stopping.

Yeah, that's fine too, I just wanna keep on the safe side, especially with the examiner, but once I pass, if I'm on a flat surface temporarily, then I most likely will not use my handbrake. The benefit of using it when stopping in traffic/traffic lights is that you are far less likely to stall it as you're using the handbrake.
Reply 28
Original post by James A
:smug:

The DS3 is amazing, hopefully Citroen can keep them in production for another two years, because once my no claims discount bonus increases after a couple of years with a cheap vw polo, then I can move on and buy the DS3.

It feels amazing to drive :sogood:, it has some nice features too, but the LED headlights at the front are just :coma: :love:.

Do you not find the DS3 to be a bit feminine??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Do you not find the DS3 to be a bit feminine??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing feminine about this, :lol:.

Citron-DS31.jpg
Reply 30
Original post by James A
Nothing feminine about this, :lol:.

Citron-DS31.jpg

Looks a tad girly :tongue: bit like a Mini Cooper is girly.
Hairdressers cars :biggrin:
I say you you drive the polo round for 3 or 4 years and then save up and buy a proper car that you can have some fun in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Looks a tad girly :tongue: bit like a Mini Cooper is girly.
Hairdressers cars :biggrin:
I say you you drive the polo round for 3 or 4 years and then save up and buy a proper car that you can have some fun in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what car should I get after the polo?
Reply 32
Original post by James A
So what car should I get after the polo?

Depends what you want in a car. Get a golf R, gti or Audi S3. They'll be more affordable when you come to buy it. The S3 can get it mapped to around 400bhp and it will smoke e60 m5s and e46 m3s.
When your 21 with 4 years no claims you should be able to get insured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bad8oy
Depends what you want in a car. Get a golf R, gti or Audi S3. They'll be more affordable when you come to buy it. The S3 can get it mapped to around 400bhp and it will smoke e60 m5s and e46 m3s.
When your 21 with 4 years no claims you should be able to get insured.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah, those cars are too chavvy lol. The golf I would consider, but defo not an audi,merc or bmw.

I just want a car that can get me from A to B really. Unless your into racing round tracks, then getting one of those cars is necessary. I would defo consider one of the honda type R's. They are just what I need, nothing too flashy, but something that has enough power for a motorway.
Reply 34
Original post by James A
nah, those cars are too chavvy lol. The golf I would consider, but defo not an audi,merc or bmw.

I just want a car that can get me from A to B really. Unless your into racing round tracks, then getting one of those cars is necessary. I would defo consider one of the honda type R's. They are just what I need, nothing too flashy, but something that has enough power for a motorway.

I thought you'd be into that kind of stuff :tongue: fast cars and racing them :biggrin:

If you want a type-r you wanna get the ep3 civic. Yeah there fast cars but if your racing something you always need to keep em in high rev ranges. On long stretches there good. Newer ones are a bit crappy tbh with you. The fn2 is pile of crap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
lol women driving...
Original post by bad8oy
I thought you'd be into that kind of stuff :tongue: fast cars and racing them :biggrin:

If you want a type-r you wanna get the ep3 civic. Yeah there fast cars but if your racing something you always need to keep em in high rev ranges. On long stretches there good. Newer ones are a bit crappy tbh with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep, the newer honda civic's are ugly lol.

The ep3 version is good, but it's hard to find one with low mileage.

I wouldn't mind just casually taking a type-r round a track (ep3) and racing against others, but I still wouldn't have the time for that.
Reply 37
Original post by James A
yep, the newer honda civic's are ugly lol.

The ep3 version is good, but it's hard to find one with low mileage.

I wouldn't mind just casually taking a type-r round a track (ep3) and racing against others, but I still wouldn't have the time for that.

Yeah but remember k20 engines b18 and b16 engines are solid lol there made for thrashing and your very unlikely to get problems as long as you find a well looked after one.
You'll still find the odd chance on road to use the power :wink: and there fun cars to drive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
***Slight interruption to the thread*** When turning, do you guys make sure you're off the clutch or do you keep your foot down on it?
Original post by SFeet
***Slight interruption to the thread*** When turning, do you guys make sure you're off the clutch or do you keep your foot down on it?

Come off the clutch.

You only need to press the clutch to change to a lower gear. When you've done that, come off the clutch and turn the corner.

Quick Reply

Latest