The Student Room Group

GCSE exams in May/June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I know this isn't fully relevant, but does anyone knows how special consideration at gcse works? My grandma recently passed away and I have applied for it. Do I get extra marks for EVERY exam I sit in summer? Also do universities see if youve had this special consideration?
Reply 181
2 English Literature
2 French (Listening and Reading)
3 Science (For Additional Science)
1 ICT
1 Geography
1 Maths (Unit 3)

10 exams D:

I should probably start revising now to be honest...
Reply 182
Can you sit the AQA English Language exam 3 times? I've got a D twice now, getting beyond a joke. :frown:
Reply 183
Original post by SportsFan
17 Exams!

1 Alevel exam probably requires the work of 17 GCSE exams
Reply 184
Especially for science how do you revise(I am OCR b additional science)
I seem to only get a grade c,however i am aiming to get an A

Many thanks
Reply 185
:/ I have 20 exams... I should probably stop procrastinating soonish!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have:
Maths
Biology-unit 2 (RESIT)
Physics- unit 2
Biology-unit 1
Physics- unit 1
Rs-unit 4
Citizenship-unit 3
Urdu-Listening
Urdu-Reading
English language (Resit)
ICT
Luckily I don't have to retake English Language as the school believe I'm far enough in to the A* boundaries from last year to secure one this year, which makes it a little easier, but still 13 exams to revise for! Have spent the last few days preparing my revision and it's all really organised now to start doing a couple of hours daily and then getting properly in to it late April, and the way I've organised it I'm feeling quietly confident- if anyone wants any tips on organising revision let me know and I'll tell you how I've done mine, it looks like it could work! When does study leave start for all you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by Jackwtaylor
Luckily I don't have to retake English Language as the school believe I'm far enough in to the A* boundaries from last year to secure one this year, which makes it a little easier, but still 13 exams to revise for! Have spent the last few days preparing my revision and it's all really organised now to start doing a couple of hours daily and then getting properly in to it late April, and the way I've organised it I'm feeling quietly confident- if anyone wants any tips on organising revision let me know and I'll tell you how I've done mine, it looks like it could work! When does study leave start for all you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Could you help me with my revision, I seem to drift away from the schedule and just procrastinate all day. I really need to get 4 As in math/eng/ phy and chem. Its just that I did yr11 last year, passed minimally because I never studied. Did the Winter Resit, got 2 B's Bio and His. Now Aiming for those to continue studying yr12. Could you help, I have a full day. I practice competitive swimming, but I am ready to sacrifice it for studying. The one thing that is truly killing me is THOSE bloody break's, they'll go from 10 min to 40 minutes.
Could you help me start my day, say from 6am till 10.30pm ?
Another thing, mostly my notes as I wrote them from a textbook, just don't seem to enter my mind. Should I have taken a tutor for those subjects ? i'll never know, seems that I wanted a challenge and tackle those subjects.
A few days ago, I had a burnout for 4 days, Now trying to study as best as I can. If you have the time, please send me with a reply.
Thanks.
P.S sorry if its a bit messy, my ideas are all over the place.
Reply 189
I'm in Year 10 btw, my school made me start it early along with a few other students.

4 Science exams
2 English Literature (I missed the first because I was in hospital)
1 English language (A retake because I had to force myself out of hospital and just got a C...)
1 Economics
1 Maths
1 (possible) RE.

This half term should be a relaxed time ._.
Reply 190
12 exams
Original post by justwork
Hi, Could you help me with my revision, I seem to drift away from the schedule and just procrastinate all day. I really need to get 4 As in math/eng/ phy and chem. Its just that I did yr11 last year, passed minimally because I never studied. Did the Winter Resit, got 2 B's Bio and His. Now Aiming for those to continue studying yr12. Could you help, I have a full day. I practice competitive swimming, but I am ready to sacrifice it for studying. The one thing that is truly killing me is THOSE bloody break's, they'll go from 10 min to 40 minutes.
Another thing, mostly my notes as I wrote them from a textbook, just don't seem to enter my mind. Should I have taken a tutor for those subjects ? i'll never know, seems that I wanted a challenge and tackle those subjects.
A few days ago, I had a burnout for 4 days, Now trying to study as best as I can. If you have the time, please send me with a reply.
Thanks.
I'm also in the came situation as you, I can't stop procratinatonging it soooo annoying l. Aanyway, when I do chemistry the stuff goes in one ear exits the other one hath so annoying .
Original post by justwork
Thanks.

I have these issues too usually so I've tried my best to deal with it with how I've organised revision this year. It works differently for everyone, but I'll tell you what I've done and I'm happy to help you further with a revision timetable or something if that will help.

I've taken every day from now to the end of exams and put it in to a table with three columns: date, subjects to revise and a tick box to tick when done. At the moment I've scheduled about 2 hours a day but that increases at study leave. My table literally says the name of an exam to revise, for example English Literature Poetry, and thats done all the way through from now until it all finishes. I've then produced a second document with a list of each subject followed by the dates I put down revision for. I prioritised subjects - for example I'll spend more time on History which I'm interested in than Science, which I'm not. This second document is essentially a breakdown of each subject and exactly what I should do. That's not complete yet but it'll be past papers, or BBC bitesize, and much more detail. Each day i need to look what to revise, look on the second document to see exactly what to do and do it, then tick that box on the list. If I don't tick a box it carries over to the next day, so I've always got reason to get my revision done so it doesn't carry over. I'm quite hopeful that this organisation and the way I've organised all my books in to a box split in to sections for each subject means I can maximise free time and spend revision time actually revising, not making endless excuses to sort other things for it etc. The other thing I'd say is schedule yourself breaks- I turn my phone off when I revise to avoid that distracting me and currently do no more than an hour at a time before having a break. During study leave this will probably change but it works for now. I also have days, at least 2 a week, where now, with it so early in my revision, I do no revision at all and just completely forget about it, usually spend time with friends or relax. I've found all of this helps so far as it not only organises me during revision but means I'm not so stressed at other times as I know exactly what I've got to do and when, and can't make excuses as I force myself to do any work that is carried over so if I can't be bothered one day I know that I'll only have to do it the next day if I don't do it now!

6AM is an odd time to be awake during revision in my eyes, I'm not sure whether you're a generally successful student but I personally wouldn't start before 8 and would always finish relatively early at night, you need to maximise sleep or I find you just don't take anything in! I wouldn't give up swimming, it's good to have something to take your mins off revision, but I'd limit the hours. It's hard to help you without knowing your commitments, when they are etc. but I'd say do no more than 6 hours revision a day when it gets to study leave. The best sort of schedule which I'm hoping to do, on a day with no exams, in study leave is revise 9-11am, half hour break. 11:30 to 1:30 then hour for lunch, then 2:30 to 4 which is 5 hours 30. At that point for me it would depend on if I had an exam the next day. If I did I'd do 1 more hour in the evening, if I didn't I'd do the extra half hour straight away at 4. Obviously this isn't always gonna work when you have exams on the day etc. but for me it's good to keep most of the evenings free and any other commitments can be done then. Like I said, that would be more than enough revision for me but it might be too much/ too little for you, although doing any more than that would be over revising in my eyes which can be just as bad as under revising!

On the notes, I personally find that writing notes helps me, but I also think reading them aloud means you can't just be writing them and not taking them in as you have to think about what you're writing. Another very useful method I use is to take say 2 sides of notes, get them down to one side, then half a side, then a quarter of a side, then a cue card size. This way, because you're summarising the info so much, you have to really understand what you're saying and read through it a lot! If you need any help with individual subjects, let me know what they are, as if it's something I'm studying on the same exam board it'd be good revision for me to help you!

Sorry for the horrendously long post but hope that helped you and anyone else in a similar position, just ask anything else if anyone has questions, I'm no expert but I can try to give advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
I have
2 Eng Lang
2 Eng Lit
3 International Maths
3 Biology
3 Chemistry
3 Physics
3 History
3 Geography
3 ICT
4 French
4 German
1 8 hour Art

Don't you just love linear IGCSE's. As for revision starting seriously now, but have been doing some since the mocks in January. :angry:
Reply 194
When revising for gcse business studies unit 2 is there any tips on how to revise for it and to get an A
Original post by Flo_97
When revising for gcse business studies unit 2 is there any tips on how to revise for it and to get an A

More information would help- exam board? Unit name?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exam board: AQA
unit name: Growing as a business

I am aiming for an A* in this exam

Many thanks
Reply 197

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also i have an additional science exam coming up any tips on how to get an A*

Exam board:Ocr b
Modules:b3,c3,p3 b4.c4.p4

Many thanks
I'm re sitting
English language unit 1:Reading (WJEC, Higher)
English language unit 2: Writing (WJEC, Higher)
Edexcel Maths Linear 1MAO- higher (non calculator)
Edexcel Maths Linear 1MAO- higher (calculator)

Aiming for at least a C, possibly a B grade in both subjects. I'd say the best way of revising from experience is doing past papers and marking them yourself using the marking scheme, practise answering questions under time restrictions and creating posters or PowerPoint presentations on the subject you're revising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flo_97
Also i have an additional science exam coming up any tips on how to get an A*

Exam board:Ocr b
Modules:b3,c3,p3 b4.c4.p4

Many thanks

Afraid I'm on AQA for Science and OCR for Business so can't help you there

Quick Reply

Latest