The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

2013 Portsmouth Biology

Hey guys, Got a conditional offer for biology at Portsmouth, originally applied for DH&DT but didn't get any offers so Portsmouth is my last option, in your opinion is it a worthwhile degree? Whats Portsmouth Uni like? Any advice or info would help!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Daniellaclark
Hey guys, Got a conditional offer for biology at Portsmouth, originally applied for DH&DT but didn't get any offers so Portsmouth is my last option, in your opinion is it a worthwhile degree? Whats Portsmouth Uni like? Any advice or info would help!! :biggrin:

Hey.. I was in the exact position as you last year! I also applied for DH&DT but didn't get the offer and they offered me Biology instead. Well in my opinion, Biology is a good degree but it just depends where you want to go after graduating. I'm in first year atm, and whilst studying Biology.. the whole plants and ecology unit really put me off so I'm actually switching to Biochemistry in the second year (so as many people who didnt like ecology) but dont let that put you off. I just dont find that side of Biology interesting! Portsmouth Uni is good, really close to the halls.. literally walk for about less than 5 mins to our lecture buildings, you get a lot of help! It's not a bad uni at all! Portsmouth as a city, is small in my opinion but I come from quite a big city so it's understandable but other than that during your first year everything and everywhere is actually really easy to get to! So yeah... what else do you want to know? :biggrin:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
I was considering taking a gap year and doing a dental nursing course in the time then re-applying for DH&DT next year, however im really debating whether that will be worthwhile, Portsmouth seems really lovely but im not sure what sort of career I would get from doing biology, What are your career goals after you achieve your degree?
Reply 3
Original post by Daniellaclark
I was considering taking a gap year and doing a dental nursing course in the time then re-applying for DH&DT next year, however im really debating whether that will be worthwhile, Portsmouth seems really lovely but im not sure what sort of career I would get from doing biology, What are your career goals after you achieve your degree?

Hey sorry for the late reply. Well it really depends on you, are you definitely set on DH&DT? And from what I gathered from interviews whilst applying for that course, a lot of dental nurses do apply for the DH&DT so it could be advantageous to do that but as you said would that be worthwhile? Well that's up to you. With Biology/Biochem you can go into research or teaching after. But to me, I wasn't really bothered about that. I actually wanted to Dentistry, but fell short with the grades, so I'm using my Biochemistry degree to get into Graduate Entry dentistry which I could have also done with DH&DT but since I didn't get the offer Biology was still good enough for me. But if that fails, I think I will go into research :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending