The Student Room Group

Access course - when to apply to uni

I'm applied to study an access course at my local college I will be doing biology,psychology,health studies and another topic not sure yet. I wan to go to Southampton uni to do a nursing degree.

ucas says you should apply late 2013 / early 2014 if yo want to enroll in uni for September 2014 but how can I apply to uni after only being at college a few months, if u start college in September and apply in November I won't have enough grades or anything to show how I'm doing.

people who did access courses, when did you apply to uni? We're a level students favoured over access students? Any advice please :smile:
Reply 1
When i did my access course, the people who were applying to start uni in september 2012 just put grade pending. College had them apply in november/december time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
But how could a uni accept somebody with no grades? You could be falling or doing amazing and the uni wouldn't know. I'm worried that the uni will favour people with traditional a levels over an access course :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Gina21
I'm applied to study an access course at my local college I will be doing biology,psychology,health studies and another topic not sure yet. I wan to go to Southampton uni to do a nursing degree.

ucas says you should apply late 2013 / early 2014 if yo want to enroll in uni for September 2014 but how can I apply to uni after only being at college a few months, if u start college in September and apply in November I won't have enough grades or anything to show how I'm doing.

people who did access courses, when did you apply to uni? We're a level students favoured over access students? Any advice please :smile:

Hi Gina,
You will probably be studying Anatomy and Physiology, Sociology, Psychology and Health Studies that is what I am doing anyway. Yes if you start in September you usually start writing your UCAS form ready to submit in November or before the closing date in January.
You will put down your grades as pending on your UCAS application. By the time you get to interview you will have received some of your grades for the four units. So if the Uni asks you at interview what grades you have received to date you could tell them then. I have to get to the following grades to enter Uni; 6 distinctions, 33 merits and not more than six passes. Not sure whether that is the same for Universities in England as I am from Wales.
Hope that helps.

:smile:
Reply 4
In my case it was as previous posters said - pending grades, but my tutors did mention the grades I've gotten thus far. Sent off my UCAS on the 19th of December. I believe the universities look at your potential to excel degree level and your personal statement.

Now, I do not know if all nursing applicants go on interviews, but I never did for my course. As for universities favouring A level students over access, I didn't encounter anything negative and I have firmed a Russell group, and insured an equally good uni.

Don't worry about it too much, I made that mistake myself and now I realize how pointless that was. Just make sure to start working on your personal statement and application early, your college will help you a lot. :smile:

Another thing that I've noticed was that some universities might ask access students to input more work than A level students. In other words - their entry requirements might be higher for access qualifications. Don't know if it's intentional or not, perhaps they do not understand the grading systems. They have changed a lot throughout the years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks Krispy, that makes sense now. My college doesn't do anat n phy. biology n psychology are the only two science ones they do so I'm hopping that's enough. I rang southamption uni and they said they look for 24 destinations from an access is that high or not and they also said DM grade but I have no idea how the access grading system works so would that be difficult to achieve? Is it equivalent to let's say a B grade?
Reply 6
Original post by Gina21
Thanks Krispy, that makes sense now. My college doesn't do anat n phy. biology n psychology are the only two science ones they do so I'm hopping that's enough. I rang southamption uni and they said they look for 24 destinations from an access is that high or not and they also said DM grade but I have no idea how the access grading system works so would that be difficult to achieve? Is it equivalent to let's say a B grade?

24 distinctions are not that hard, no. My firm choice asks for 45 distinctions and I am well on my way to achieving this. I wouldn't say it was hard, but definitely takes a while to polish those assignments into perfection. However, it depends on your course, tutors and, most important, on you.

Can't really translate access grades into A level equivalents.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you neon nems, it's starting to all make sense now :tongue:. So you say your first choice wanted 45 distinctions, does that mean you have like 60 assignments over the year and you need a destination in 45 of them?
Reply 8
Hahn found it, they want 24 destinations at level 3
Reply 9
Original post by Gina21
Thank you neon nems, it's starting to all make sense now :tongue:. So you say your first choice wanted 45 distinctions, does that mean you have like 60 assignments over the year and you need a destination in 45 of them?

Good to hear :P

No, thank god. There are 3 units per subject (excluding study skills which has 2) First two units have one assignment each, and each assignment is 3 credits, be it pass, merit or distinction. Unit 3 has two assignment and so the final unit gives a total of 6 credits. Overall I will end up with 60 credits from all units. 45 of those have to be distinction. Hope that makes sense.

I have heard that certain colleges offer way more than 60 credits, but you can only have a certain amount on your diploma and they all have a minimum of 60. All the universities I applied for gave me offers such as - pass the access course with 45 credits at level 3, including 30 distinctions, etc.
Reply 10
Perfect got it :smile: so 24 destinations at level 3 is realistic :smile: thanks for all your help
Reply 11
My access course was 72 credits, 60 went on my actual diploma with the grades. The other 12 credits are on a separate certificate as additional subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending