The Student Room Group

help

a circle passes through A(3,1) b(8,2) C(2,6)

A) Find the point of intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of AB and BC

do I just find the mid points and gradients of AB and BC and the take the negative reciprocal of the gradient and form an equation for AB and AC using y-1=m(x-x1) and solve them simultaneously to get the points of intersection? thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

yes
Reply 2
Original post by L'Evil Fish
yes

Reply 3
well since these are points on a circle the bisectors will be diameters, so it is asking you to find the center of the circle ?
Reply 4
Original post by L'Evil Fish
yes

hey fish how do I do this?:smile:

a circle touches the positive x-axis and y axes and its centre lies on the line y=3x-4

find an equation of the circle
Reply 5
Original post by madfish
hey fish how do I do this?:smile:

a circle touches the positive x-axis and y axes and its centre lies on the line y=3x-4

find an equation of the circle

What is the general equation of a circle?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Noble.
What is the general equation/form of a circle?

(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
Reply 7
Original post by madfish
(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2

Ok, what do you know about the point (a,b)(a,b). Also, how can you use the fact it touches both axes?
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
Ok, what do you know about the point (a,b)(a,b). Also, how can you use the fact it touches both axes?

(a,b) lies on the line y=3x -4
Reply 9
Original post by madfish
(a,b) lies on the line y=3x -4

Yep. Also, given that it touches the axes - what does this mean?
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.

um, I am not too sure. :/
Reply 11
Original post by Noble.

something about the radius?
Reply 12
Original post by madfish
um, I am not too sure. :/

Well, if it touches both axes we know that there is a solution when x=0x=0 and when y=0y=0.

This is much more easily visualised if you draw the line y=3x4y=3x-4 and you essentially are looking for a point on the line where you can draw a circle and have it just touch both axes - this point will be unique. However, for the equation y=xy=x you should be able to see there are an infinite number of solutions. For example, if the centre was (1,1)(1,1) and you had the radius as 11 it would satisfy the problem, and in fact any centre of (p,p)(p,p) with radius pp works - there are infinitely many solutions. However, because this line is not going through the origin we're looking for a point on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 which is at equal distances from the y-axis and the x-axis. Again, if you don't understand this, you need to draw it. Clearly, the centre (5,11)(5,11) is on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 - but can we form a circle which touches both the x-axis and y-axis?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Noble.
Well, if it touches both axes we know that there is a solution when x=0x=0 and when y=0y=0.

This is much more easily visualised if you draw the line y=3x4y=3x-4 and you essentially are looking for a point on the line where you can draw a circle and have it just touch both axes - this point will be unique. However, for the equation y=xy=x you should be able to see there are an infinite number of solutions. For example, if the centre was (1,1)(1,1) and you had the radius as 11 it would satisfy the problem, and in fact any centre of (p,p)(p,p) with radius pp works - there are infinitely many solutions. However, because this line is not going through the origin we're looking for a point on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 which is at equal distances from the y-axis and the x-axis. Again, if you don't understand this, you need to draw it. Clearly, the centre (5,11)(5,11) is on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 - but can we form a circle which touches both the x-axis and y-axis?
okay I am so lost

how did you deduce the centre?
Reply 14
Original post by madfish
okay I am so lost

What do you mean how do I deduce the centre? The equation of a circle:

(xa)2+(xb)2=r2(x-a)^2 + (x-b)^2 = r^2

has centre (a,b)(a,b) and radius rr

We know the centre lies on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 which implies that b=3a4b = 3a-4
Reply 15
Original post by Noble.
What do you mean how do I deduce the centre? The equation of a circle:

(xa)2+(xb)2=r2(x-a)^2 + (x-b)^2 = r^2

has centre (a,b)(a,b) and radius rr

We know the centre lies on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 which implies that b=3a4b = 3a-4

okay where do we go from here?::colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by madfish
okay I am so lost

He didn't. He simply gave an example of a point that lies on the line y = 3x -4.
Reply 17
Original post by madfish
okay where do we go from here?::colondollar:

Honestly, there's no point in me spoon feeding you all the way to the answer, it doesn't help you.

You know that the circle 'touches' the x-axis and the y-axis - do you know what this means?
Reply 18
Original post by joostan
He didn't. He simply gave an example of a point that lies on the line y = 3x -4.

ahh i see :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by joostan

so do you set y to 0 in the line equation to find the point the circle touches the x axis?

Quick Reply

Latest