The Student Room Group

Can't study:(

I can't get in the mood to study, but I need to:frown:

Anyone have any tips?

Posted from the TSR app on iPhone 5
Reply 1
Make your study more interesting. Such as use flashcards, make mind maps/posters, videos (if you can), powerpoints. Use highlighters while going through something the first time and make key notes from your book. Although I would not recommend it because it easily distracts me but it might work for you; some people work well with music in the background. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Maroosh
Make your study more interesting. Such as use flashcards, make mind maps/posters, videos (if you can), powerpoints. Use highlighters while going through something the first time and make key notes from your book. Although I would not recommend it because it easily distracts me but it might work for you; some people work well with music in the background. Good luck

Thanks, I'll try these things:smile:

I've got the same problem. I am trying everything.

Its my 3rd year at university and these exams are next to impossible.

Just gotta get my head in the game.

Good Luck OP!!
It gets better once you've started.

When I really can't start I put on a favourite album (something you've already heard loads of times so it doesn't distract you), get a cup of tea/coffee then do 20 minutes work. Make sure you keep track of time, telling yourself that you've only got 20 minutes to do makes it a lot easier, plus your not getting stuck on anything for hours on end. After that I have a break and walk around a bit then start again.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris_Cross
Thanks, I'll try these things:smile:

Good luck. I have had the same problem since a long time and the funny thing is that I did not have this problem before but now i do. These techniques do help. Also many people say that you should do 45 minutes study and then take 5 minute break. Make sure that you don't do any activity such as watching TV in breaks. It is important just to relax, maybe go out in the garden or listen to a song but not something that will convince you to spend more than 5 minutes on it. Once you properly get into study mode, I would say do study for longer than 45 minutes so that you do not break your flow.
Reply 6
Original post by FranticMind
I've got the same problem. I am trying everything.

Its my 3rd year at university and these exams are next to impossible.

Just gotta get my head in the game.

Good Luck OP!!

if you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing?
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice XD - I think I'll do some light studying to get me into the flow:smile:

Original post by Maroosh
if you don't mind me asking, what course are you doing?

3rd year of Electronic Engineering with Computer Science (MEng).

How about you?
Reply 9
Original post by FranticMind
3rd year of Electronic Engineering with Computer Science (MEng).

How about you?

I am only in Alevels right now; in final A2 year and hoping to do medicine but i might take a gap year before that
Original post by Maroosh
I am only in Alevels right now; in final A2 year and hoping to do medicine but i might take a gap year before that

Cool, my two younger brothers are in the same position. Good luck with medicine, it is quite a tricky one but if you work hard you can do it. Lots of memorisation and zero maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending