The Student Room Group

Abu Qatada deportation bid fails, again.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamgreatness
i don't care, as a sovereign nation we have the right to deport anybody we chose to for national security. Electing political parties for them to not have complete control of the country is disgusting and lingering down a disturbingly fascist path.

Where does this 'right' come from?

What you're basically advocating is a totalised version of Westphalian sovereignty before WW2 - i.e. it's illegal under international law for states to interfere with each other, but states can do what they like within their own borders. Now there's a reason that approach was to a large degree abandoned after WW2 - it effectively legitimised state-sanctioned persecution of minorities.
Abu Qatada's family's statement: "These idiotic demonstrators and journalists do not realise ….we have asked the British government to allow us to leave the UK for a third country; somewhere other than Jordan or the UK. However they have refused and said they would fight to prevent us from leaving Britain to anywhere except to a prison in Jordan. Let no one be under the impression that we want to stay here after having suffered so much. We will persistently continue to try to leave this country legally for one that will bring us security in our religion.

http://www.cageprisoners.com/our-work/opinion-editorial/item/5614-the-persecution-of-abu-qatada-extends-to-his-family

I'm fully behind them, and hope they get their justice.
Reply 42
Original post by Perseveranze
Abu Qatada's family's statement: "These idiotic demonstrators and journalists do not realise ….we have asked the British government to allow us to leave the UK for a third country; somewhere other than Jordan or the UK. However they have refused and said they would fight to prevent us from leaving Britain to anywhere except to a prison in Jordan. Let no one be under the impression that we want to stay here after having suffered so much. We will persistently continue to try to leave this country legally for one that will bring us security in our religion.

http://www.cageprisoners.com/our-work/opinion-editorial/item/5614-the-persecution-of-abu-qatada-extends-to-his-family

I'm fully behind them, and hope they get their justice.

Where would they go? It truly is a case of no-one wanting them (except Jordan). So, we in the UK look stuck with 'em. Lucky us.
Reply 43
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Soul of Mischief
Reason why we can't get rid of him is down to our own laws, not any EU ones. It's good because it prevents the government from manipulating the judiciary in order to target individual citizens like you and me.
Doesn't mean I don't want this berkshire hunt out of the country. He hasn't worked a day since he got here and neither have his wife or kids.
Unfortunately when Labour opened the doors they attracted a lot of good hard-working people, but also the dregs of the earth. Wish there was some way we could get him and people of his ilk (like that despicable Anjem Choudary) as well their supporters to eff off. They're not wanted here.

Was just reading through some of the comments on the Grauniad article and so many of them sum up why I detest a lot of Guardianistas. They are so blinded by their hatred of the Tories (who I don't particularly like either) that they don't care that scum like Abu Qatada are still here and there is nothing we can do about it. Why these people take so much glee in supporting people who hate their way of life, culture and country is beyond me. Fact of the matter is Abu Qatada said it's ok to kill an infidel if you're fighting them and that it's also fine to kill them even if you're not fighting them. I remember once reading a Guardian article where they lauded Labour's immigration policy because it meant that there were a greater variety of restaurants in the Elephant and Castle region of S. London. Just sums up Guardianistas.

No, its due to the ECHR.
Original post by anarchism101
Abu Qatada remains yet to be charged in the UK. This whole saga is about a crime he's accused of in Jordan, for which the evidence is quite flimsy and almost certainly obtained through torture.

If you want to try him under UK law, OK, but that's a separate issue and needs to be seen as such.

Qatada not being charged in the UK is irrelevant. How does that change anything?
I can't see him leaving any time soon. We'll probably just have to put up with him, and ignore him to the point he feels so worthless that he voluntarily leaves to Jordan.
Cant believe some of the discussion on this thread, since when did Britain sacrifice the rights of the individual for the majority.
What has this man actually done ?

Has he committed any crime ?

What laws has he broken and was he found guilty ?
Reply 49
Just drop the ****er out of a plane, who's honestly going to care?
I'm curious how much this is costing us though?
It's just pathetic that "legally" we can't deport him. It's our ******* country
Original post by cl_steele
Just drop the ****er out of a plane, who's honestly going to care?
I'm curious how much this is costing us though?

5 million a year supposedly.

Perhaps the appeal would have went differently if this money came from the judges of the EU that denied it.
Reply 52
Original post by Miracle Day
5 million a year supposedly.

Perhaps the appeal would have went differently if this money came from the judges of the EU that denied it.

Which ever tit decided it would be a smart move to expatriate the rights to a foreign court needs to be put against the wall :colonhash:
Original post by cl_steele
Which ever tit decided it would be a smart move to expatriate the rights to a foreign court needs to be put against the wall :colonhash:

Hah, a quote from the Daily Mail's comment section:

"We used to rule the world, now we can't even rule our back yard"
Another great reason to leave the European Union. The taxpayer is essentially funding extremism.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yeah, let's just throw out legal procedure and the rule of law in favour of just letting the government execute whoever they like. That'll work out great.

It certainly will. No more qatada, no more costly benefit bills for the taxpayer.
Original post by Harry Callahan
It certainly will. No more qatada, no more costly benefit bills for the taxpayer.

So you're totally fine with the idea that if they thought you were guilty of something, the government could just arrest you and put you in prison or execute you without trial?
So you're totally fine with the idea that if they thought you were guilty of something, the government could just arrest you and put you in prison or execute you without trial?

I wouldn't go around preaching hate and bile and supporting terrorists.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Qatada not being charged in the UK is irrelevant. How does that change anything?

Because many people seem to think (or at least conflate the two) that this is a deportation issue over things he's done in the UK, when it's actually an extradition issue over crimes he's accused of in Jordan.

At the moment the extradition is the only case, and as far as that one goes anything he's done in Britain is irrelevant.
Original post by Harry Callahan
I wouldn't go around preaching hate and bile and supporting terrorists.

Wouldn't matter. If you want to get rid of justice by trial then you can't have any complaints when you don't get one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending