The Student Room Group

Casual sex, when to stop?

Basically I'm in uni and met a guy from USA who is at my uni on a year abroad. We met through a show we did together and through the socials that went along with it etc. We started meeting up outside of rehearsals and would just chill at his with a bottle of wine or something. Then a week or so after the show I invited him to mine and we had sex. He is the second guy I have slept with, the 1st guy was my ex who I was in a relationship with for about 3-4months. Anyway, since I slept with him we had unprotected sex (bad I know) so I took the morning after pill and waiting to get test for STD etc. Also, I got a unrine infection after sleeping with him, which the next time he came round I told him about and rejected sex with him. He came round twice after that time and we didn't have sex just watched a film and fell asleep. He'd come round late like 10ish and stay over night. I don't think I've ever met up with him outside of either his or mine room and didn't think it would end up like this. He came round last night and we had sex (with a condom lol) and I enjoyed it but I think I've realised that I don't like the ways things are. Like, I thought I could handle a bit of fun but I'm a shy person and I'm still shy/quiet around him despite feeling comfortable enough to have sex with him. As soon as he left this morning I started feel worse about myself like I feel like a "slut" and someone who he might not respect now. He probs thinks I'm a booty call and nothing special but still wants to know me so he can have sex. He really really experienced with sex and I'm not and this puts me off a bit. He doesn't pressure me into anything though but i don't he knows about my lack of sexual experience in comparison to his. I feel like I don't want someone who doesn't care about me and just uses me for sex. I thought I could do it but I can't now because I feel so disappointed and disgusted with myself even though it was what I wanted at the time. I want him to make more effort to get to know me better, like do stuff with me outside of my flat like we go for some drinks, a meal, bowling etc. But i don't think this will happen now as he probably thinks he doesn't need to make much effort with me to get what he wants. Plus, he wouldn't want anything serious as he is going back to america in june. I just feel like when we are not having sex, it is soooo awkward because i'm shy around him still and he's not the most talkative guy in the world. which is why is would have been better if we got to know eachother proper first. Anyway, I'm almost certain that I want to end things with him. It's a shame to miss out on his friendship but I don't think I can see him as just a friend now. I don't know whether to say all this to him in person or to just ignore his texts until he asks whats wrong?
Although i feel bad about myself now, i feel like i've learnt so much from this experience in terms of what I want. I think I'd like a serious relationship and now know that instead of being worried about sex e.g. if i'm good or whatever, I should focus on learning how to be myself around guys and really get to know them.

ADVICE PLEASE? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Ask him out for coffee or an activity in public.

Don't ignore what happened or him but it's a recipe for awkwardness.

Maybe text him saying 'I enjoy your company, and even tho I enjoyed last night we can't make it a regular thing as i'm not that type of girl. Maybe we can hang out at *insert place here*' and see what he replies. Usually a guy prefers a girl who respects herself and then he respects her.

Hopefully it will all sort it self out :smile:
Reply 2
By the sounds of things he only wants to have sex with you. That's why he doesn't ask you out for a drink and keeps it at home. He doesn't seem to want to be out in public with you.

The fact that you're beginning to realise this is why you feel like a bit of a slut in the morning.

In all honestly casual sex is great in my opinion but can lead to complications. Also I'm guessing the sex isn't that great because if it was you'd be left feeling like a slut and loving it.
I don't think you there's any friendship here. Like you said you're just a booty call. He seems to only come round yours at night so he's obviously expecting to get laid each time. I can pretty much guarantee that if you completely cut sex out the equation his visits to you will decrease until he no longer comes at all. I mean it's a shame you had to feel like a slut before you 'woke up' but it happened. But like you said you've had enough so tell him straight and if he stops contacting or visiting then all in all that's better for you. And like you mentioned he has never taken you anywhere or offered to go out etc. So let's be honest if you're expecting some sort of relationship to come out of this you can lay it to rest right here and now, it is not happening.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd ask him if he could help you put some paragraphs into your wall of text.
If he is really very sexually experienced, then he wouldn't "disrespect" you for having sex with him. I tend to find that the more promiscuous guys are also surprisingly more respectful towards women (probably because the less experienced ones still see women+sex as a taboo).

I think you should talk to him and explain to him how you feel. If you're sure you want to break it off then don't just ignore him, that's the coward way out and it's also pretty cruel.
Original post by Dragonfly07
If he is really very sexually experienced, then he wouldn't "disrespect" you for having sex with him. I tend to find that the more promiscuous guys are also surprisingly more respectful towards women (probably because the less experienced ones still see women+sex as a taboo).

I think you should talk to him and explain to him how you feel. If you're sure you want to break it off then don't just ignore him, that's the coward way out and it's also pretty cruel.

Break what off? There was nothing there to start with. :confused: Casual sex = no strings attached. It can end as quickly as it began.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
Break what off? There was nothing there to start with. :confused:

There was casual sex more than one time. Chances are he'll assume it could happen again.
Reply 8
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
Break what off? There was nothing there to start with. :confused: Casual sex = no strings attached. It can end as quickly as it began.

break it off.. ok there's nothing serious but he will keep texting etc if i don't tell him i don't want to see him again and might even want to know why i think anyway :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Dragonfly07

Thanks for the reply. I kind of see what you mean. I'm not sure if he thinks of me any differently now in terms of respect etc. but I think it's more about how i feel about it and i feel like i'm disrespecting myself by giving myself up to him so easily. If that makes sense?
Certainly not midway through the deed sunshine
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I'm in uni and met a guy from USA who is at my uni on a year abroad. We met through a show we did together and through the socials that went along with it etc. We started meeting up outside of rehearsals and would just chill at his with a bottle of wine or something. Then a week or so after the show I invited him to mine and we had sex. He is the second guy I have slept with, the 1st guy was my ex who I was in a relationship with for about 3-4months. Anyway, since I slept with him we had unprotected sex (bad I know) so I took the morning after pill and waiting to get test for STD etc. Also, I got a unrine infection after sleeping with him, which the next time he came round I told him about and rejected sex with him. He came round twice after that time and we didn't have sex just watched a film and fell asleep. He'd come round late like 10ish and stay over night. I don't think I've ever met up with him outside of either his or mine room and didn't think it would end up like this. He came round last night and we had sex (with a condom lol) and I enjoyed it but I think I've realised that I don't like the ways things are. Like, I thought I could handle a bit of fun but I'm a shy person and I'm still shy/quiet around him despite feeling comfortable enough to have sex with him. As soon as he left this morning I started feel worse about myself like I feel like a "slut" and someone who he might not respect now. He probs thinks I'm a booty call and nothing special but still wants to know me so he can have sex. He really really experienced with sex and I'm not and this puts me off a bit. He doesn't pressure me into anything though but i don't he knows about my lack of sexual experience in comparison to his. I feel like I don't want someone who doesn't care about me and just uses me for sex. I thought I could do it but I can't now because I feel so disappointed and disgusted with myself even though it was what I wanted at the time. I want him to make more effort to get to know me better, like do stuff with me outside of my flat like we go for some drinks, a meal, bowling etc. But i don't think this will happen now as he probably thinks he doesn't need to make much effort with me to get what he wants. Plus, he wouldn't want anything serious as he is going back to america in june. I just feel like when we are not having sex, it is soooo awkward because i'm shy around him still and he's not the most talkative guy in the world. which is why is would have been better if we got to know eachother proper first. Anyway, I'm almost certain that I want to end things with him. It's a shame to miss out on his friendship but I don't think I can see him as just a friend now. I don't know whether to say all this to him in person or to just ignore his texts until he asks whats wrong?
Although i feel bad about myself now, i feel like i've learnt so much from this experience in terms of what I want. I think I'd like a serious relationship and now know that instead of being worried about sex e.g. if i'm good or whatever, I should focus on learning how to be myself around guys and really get to know them.

ADVICE PLEASE? Thanks in advance

Bull****. Having casual sex does not make you a [insert derogative sexist adjective here] or a [insert sexist adjective here] so don't worry about that. Talk to him if you don't want casual sex any more but forget those sillysexist preconceptions about yourself.
Reply 12
Original post by Juichiro
Bull****. Having casual sex does not make you a [insert derogative sexist adjective here] or a [insert sexist adjective here] so don't worry about that. Talk to him if you don't want casual sex any more but forget those sillysexist preconceptions about yourself.

i hope not! it always seems worse for a girl
i hope not! it always seems worse for a girl

It definitely always feels worse for a girl - pretty much the same thing has happened to me! You shouldn't feel bad about it (she says reassuring herself along the way). It is only the concept society has put on it! Women should be treated no differently from men for doing this. Women have needs just as much as men.

As for breaking it off I have no advice since I wish to do the same (I want to concentrate on getting a stable relationship with a guy who actually cares about more than my body!)

I hope it goes okay, let me know! :smile:
Reply 14
It definitely always feels worse for a girl - pretty much the same thing has happened to me! You shouldn't feel bad about it (she says reassuring herself along the way). It is only the concept society has put on it! Women should be treated no differently from men for doing this. Women have needs just as much as men.

As for breaking it off I have no advice since I wish to do the same (I want to concentrate on getting a stable relationship with a guy who actually cares about more than my body!)

I hope it goes okay, let me know! :smile:

Thanks. I agree that it's other people's views etc so I guess I shouldn't care what people think? I'm going to see him again later but not sure whether to talk about this to him and explain how it makes me feel. Also, after I've had sex with him (twice) I got a urine infection and I know loads of girls get them easily after sex but it's so uncomfortable and it's putting me off doing it with him again incase I get it. It would be different if I was in a stable relationship cos I know you can get antibiotics on a long term basis. But seen as I'm not with him properly i don't think I should put myself through all the hassle. Also, he is the only guy I'm sleeping with now but I have no idea if he has these casual sex things with other girls and don't know if I should ask him? I think if he was and told me, I'd feel even worse lol but then he's single so I can't really do anything. But then I don't want anything serious with him because he's going back home soon and to be honest if he actually wanted to know me better he'd be making a lot more effort to. But then I'm not making much effort with him. lol sorry for my long rant!
Thanks. I agree that it's other people's views etc so I guess I shouldn't care what people think? I'm going to see him again later but not sure whether to talk about this to him and explain how it makes me feel. Also, after I've had sex with him (twice) I got a urine infection and I know loads of girls get them easily after sex but it's so uncomfortable and it's putting me off doing it with him again incase I get it. It would be different if I was in a stable relationship cos I know you can get antibiotics on a long term basis. But seen as I'm not with him properly i don't think I should put myself through all the hassle. Also, he is the only guy I'm sleeping with now but I have no idea if he has these casual sex things with other girls and don't know if I should ask him? I think if he was and told me, I'd feel even worse lol but then he's single so I can't really do anything. But then I don't want anything serious with him because he's going back home soon and to be honest if he actually wanted to know me better he'd be making a lot more effort to. But then I'm not making much effort with him. lol sorry for my long rant!

It's a tough one, many men run at the start of emotional talks so either he'll stay and listen or run away (and job is done either way :P ). I understand with the whole urine infection! I'd be wary myself! Personally, if the courage can be gained, I'd go for the conversation. Also with regards to multiple people, I'd say depending on the regularity of his visits he is likely to have others - but you won't know unless you ask (if you really want to know that is!). With casual things each partner is equal - if you want to continue you could ask for exclusivity. Even if he is single he should consider it :smile:
Have you never had conversations about yourselves? What you want from life etc? With him going home it is probably easier for you not to start talking about such things, unless you can see it working out I'd avoid the chance of attachment (although I presume that is already there because of the intimacy of having sex with someone?).

If he is a good guy he will listen to what you have to say if you decide to talk to him. If he isn't willing to listen then you're better off without him! :smile:
Reply 16
It's a tough one, many men run at the start of emotional talks so either he'll stay and listen or run away (and job is done either way :P ). I understand with the whole urine infection! I'd be wary myself! Personally, if the courage can be gained, I'd go for the conversation. Also with regards to multiple people, I'd say depending on the regularity of his visits he is likely to have others - but you won't know unless you ask (if you really want to know that is!). With casual things each partner is equal - if you want to continue you could ask for exclusivity. Even if he is single he should consider it :smile:
Have you never had conversations about yourselves? What you want from life etc? With him going home it is probably easier for you not to start talking about such things, unless you can see it working out I'd avoid the chance of attachment (although I presume that is already there because of the intimacy of having sex with someone?).

If he is a good guy he will listen to what you have to say if you decide to talk to him. If he isn't willing to listen then you're better off without him! :smile:

Thank you for the advice. I didn't have this chat with him, I guess I felt nervous about it. It's really weird because I still feel shy around him so when it comes to sexual stuff due to my lack of experience I feel a bit awkward and shy about things. He tries to get me to loosen up to make me feel less shy but I think this whole casual sex thing would be better if I was more confident around guys. That's why I feel like more effort needs to be made to make things less about sex etc but I don't think that's going to happen unless he wanted something more serious. After the first time we had sex, the next time I seen him I rejected sex with him and he was asking why etc and said "let's talk" so we lyed down together and talked. But I was really nervous to say what I wanted to say but I did find out what he wanted I feel like it should have been then when I asked about exclusivity etc. Anyway, now I feel like I know what I want and it's not a casual sex thing. I think I want a relationship but obvs not with him because I don't think it would work out. But I know I don't like the idea of being his "booty call" cos it don't feel confident enough to carry on having casual sex with someone who is wayy more experienced than me (even though he says it doesn't matter lol) and like I said I feel a bit like a slut for being so "easy". But then I think with him going back home, there is no harm in having fun before he goes I never see him again lol.. I'm a bit confused now! Should I just ignore him when he texts until he thinks something is wrong and he asks me and i'll tell him this. Or should I just randomly text him and tell him what I'm thinking.
Ask him out, this is what happens when you rush into sex too quickly, you end up gaping for them without having any idea who they actually are.
Reply 18
Original post by scrotgrot
Ask him out, this is what happens when you rush into sex too quickly, you end up gaping for them without having any idea who they actually are.

Ask him out to do what? He is only going to expect sex now so what is the point. Gaping? what does that mean
Ask him out to do what? He is only going to expect sex now so what is the point. Gaping? what does that mean

To go for a meal, say, "spend some time really getting to know each other" is a good way to signal your intentions. Gaping means spreading your legs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending