The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by EmperorMustard
Arsenal fans don't like RVP because of that ridiculous statement he released in a ploy to force a move and lower his price. I don't think he can be blamed for leaving to go to win the league.

The lack of ambition? Let be honest he was right. That's why you've sold all those key players in the past few years and wonder why you haven't won the league?
Playing you lot in the next gen! Looking forward to it. Wish it was in London though. I think there would be a decent turn out. How many did you guys get for your quarter final? We got just under 7,000 and add to that it's a derby, it would have been a good day out.

On paper I think you have a better team, but our team have come through some sticky matches and are looking defensively solid. Plus your team might be feeling cocky as they've been playing really well. Should be a good match! Hopefully Villa win theirs. At this level I definitely would love to have two English clubs in the final. It will just annoy Platini.
Reply 182
Original post by Soul of Mischief
Playing you lot in the next gen! Looking forward to it. Wish it was in London though. I think there would be a decent turn out. How many did you guys get for your quarter final? We got just under 7,000 and add to that it's a derby, it would have been a good day out.

On paper I think you have a better team, but our team have come through some sticky matches and are looking defensively solid. Plus your team might be feeling cocky as they've been playing really well. Should be a good match! Hopefully Villa win theirs. At this level I definitely would love to have two English clubs in the final. It will just annoy Platini.

Really looking forward to watching this. :excited: I haven't seen the Chelsea side in action, but I get the impression that they're very good (and better than us :unsure:).
Reply 183
Original post by Abiraleft
Really looking forward to watching this. :excited: I haven't seen the Chelsea side in action, but I get the impression that they're very good (and better than us :unsure:).

It'll absolutely annoy me if no players from this crop make it. Especially feruz. Pretty confident we'll win. We've done over United, Barcelona and juve the past year in cup competitions and got results vs ajax. Arsenal should be a win with feruz on the scoresheet. When is the match?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soul of Mischief

Chelsea would be doing well to get 7,000 for league matches at the Bridge these days :rolleyes:
Reply 185
Original post by jam277
It'll absolutely annoy me if no players from this crop make it. Especially feruz. Pretty confident we'll win. We've done over United, Barcelona and juve the past year in cup competitions and got results vs ajax. Arsenal should be a win with feruz on the scoresheet. When is the match?

Tomorrow at 2pm.

Final is on the April 1st at 5pm so it wont clash with FA cup replay game same day.
Original post by Isometrix
I love going into the Arsenal thread right after they lose a game. The reactions in there kill me :rofl:

Oh, and I started posting from the first thread we had. I think I was even appointed co-admin (with cfc1992) for the society at one point. Then afterwards I became less active and my rank was taken away from me :sad:. Still like to think I'm a veteran in these lands though :cool:

Ditto, there are a few veterans on this.
Original post by Zürich
Chelsea would be doing well to get 7,000 for league matches at the Bridge these days :rolleyes:

Historically that would be good for them :smile:.
Original post by jam277
The lack of ambition? Let be honest he was right. That's why you've sold all those key players in the past few years and wonder why you haven't won the league?

So you don't think releasing a statement saying that you won't be renewing your contract undermines the club in any way? I'm not doubting his reasoning, just the way he went about it. That was classless, and that's why we don't like him.
Reply 189
Original post by EmperorMustard
So you don't think releasing a statement saying that you won't be renewing your contract undermines the club in any way? I'm not doubting his reasoning, just the way he went about it. That was classless, and that's why we don't like him.

Sol campbell was worse, saying you'd stay then going to your rivals.
RVP undermined the club but what he said was valid.
Original post by jam277

Both players left for trophies, there's nothing wrong with that. But you were essentially criticising Arsenal fans for disliking RVP because he thought we lacked ambition. That's not true, we dislike him for undermining our position in a ploy to force down his price. As I said, it was classless. He's allowed to be ambitious, but he should have shown more respect.
Reply 191
Original post by jam277

And it's more than understandable for Spurs fans to dislike Campbell, surely? :dontknow: I don't respect him either.
Reply 192
Original post by Abiraleft
And it's more than understandable for Spurs fans to dislike Campbell, surely? :dontknow: I don't respect him either.

Tbh, football is a job for the players first and foremost. The fans come second to a player, their personal gain is more important.

I respect RVP for making that statement in fact. He said exactly what I've been saying for the past year and had the courage to speak out for it. He didn't deceive anyone in the process, in fact the exact opposite. He had talks, didn't like where the club was going so said the club wasn't good enough for him(which it isn't tbh but easily solvable by getting a key player in) I've done an RVP when I'm playing football and changed teams because they weren't good enough. Nothing wrong with forcing a move imo if you honestly want to leave.

People were annoyed about him leaving before he even made that statement because of his injury record(and the fact so many players left) I bet clichy gets booed when he touches a ball in the emirates. It's a case that happens to almost every arsenal player, only fabregas is excluded because of his service to the club since he was 17.
Original post by jam277
Tbh, football is a job for the players first and foremost. The fans come second to a player, their personal gain is more important.

I respect RVP for making that statement in fact. He said exactly what I've been saying for the past year and had the courage to speak out for it. He didn't deceive anyone in the process, in fact the exact opposite. He had talks, didn't like where the club was going so said the club wasn't good enough for him(which it isn't tbh but easily solvable by getting a key player in) I've done an RVP when I'm playing football and changed teams because they weren't good enough. Nothing wrong with forcing a move imo if you honestly want to leave.

People were annoyed about him leaving before he even made that statement because of his injury record(and the fact so many players left) I bet clichy gets booed when he touches a ball in the emirates. It's a case that happens to almost every arsenal player, only fabregas is excluded because of his service to the club since he was 17.

Clichy has pretty much been forgotten about. He's not particularly respected but not remembered well enough to even boo. Henry left and nobody has ever had a problem with him, Fabregas/Vieira/Overmars/Petit/Toure left and again no problem whatsoever. But Arsenal fans have a lot of pride and tradition and will react very badly to perceived slights from players.

Funnily enough I dont really have anything against Nasri. He left his hometown club as a young guy to play for us and he was a good player. He stayed for 3 years and then left, almost certainly for more money. I dont feel betrayed by that really because I never thought he was 'one of us'. RVP was different, he was Arsenal captain and owed the club an awful lot over his 8 years at Arsenal. (No way would he be even close to the player he is now without Wenger). But he gave the armband back and went to play for Utd(even though we havent been competing with them for years, Arsenal fans consider Utd to be a big rival and joining them is still a big taboo and RVP knew all that). He released a statement which was very harmful to Arsenal at the time(although I think Wenger was able to negotiate way above what RVP's market rate was anyway...). Classless guy and anybody who says he didnt think about the money when he earns £25m more by joining Utd vs Arsenal is a fool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Zürich
Clichy has pretty much been forgotten about. He's not particularly respected but not remembered well enough to even boo. Henry left and nobody has ever had a problem with him, Fabregas/Vieira/Overmars/Petit/Toure left and again no problem whatsoever. But Arsenal fans have a lot of pride and tradition and will react very badly to perceived slights from players.

Funnily enough I dont really have anything against Nasri. He left his hometown club as a young guy to play for us and he was a good player. He stayed for 3 years and then left, almost certainly for more money. I dont feel betrayed by that really because I never thought he was 'one of us'. RVP was different, he was Arsenal captain and owed the club an awful lot over his 8 years at Arsenal. (No way would he be even close to the player he is now without Wenger). But he gave the armband back and went to play for Utd(even though we havent been competing with them for years, Arsenal fans consider Utd to be a big rival and joining them is still a big taboo and RVP knew all that). He released a statement which was very harmful to Arsenal at the time(although I think Wenger was able to negotiate way above what RVP's market rate was anyway...). Classless guy and anybody who says he didnt think about the money when he earns £25m more by joining Utd vs Arsenal is a fool.

Of course the money was part of it, but the trophies also was part of it. If not just as much a part of it as the money. Rooney wanted to join city/madrid because of money but he also thought that united weren't going anywhere(their squad that season was ****) but since the deal he's shut up and united have also proved him wrong by winning the prem, going toe to toe with Real madrid and other things. You wouldn't have done the same with RVP(prove him wrong) I guarantee you that.

Nasri is seen as a traitor by majority of arsenal fans though, I guess they don't care so much anymore as they see a hleb situation occuring due to the guys attitude and performances but had he'd been bossing it like cole does he'd be destroyed much more.

The statement was harmful. But tbh I think he had his own interests at heart and the statement was truthful and not deceiving. In fact he said what I've been saying for years about arsenal(lack of ambition) and he's been proved right. He might have not gone through it the right way but he spoke the truth.
Reply 195
Original post by jam277

You say this as if it's both universal and a good thing, and I disagree on both counts. :sadnod: Even completely apart from the instrumentalist aspect of it - you need fans to keep a club running more than you need anything else - there is surely something wrong in treating a huge number of people who have supported and adored you like dirt? I think it's wrong to place the individual football so high above the masses of supporters.

It wasn't so much the statement I was upset by as his move to United, whom Arsenal fans and everyone at the club do consider rivals. I don't think we'll get too far here though, as I essentially disagree with the notion that self-interest should trump everything, so I'll leave it at that. :o:
Original post by jam277

The statement was harmful. But tbh I think he had his own interests at heart and the statement was truthful and not deceiving. In fact he said what I've been saying for years about arsenal(lack of ambition) and he's been proved right. He might have not gone through it the right way but he spoke the truth.

Never really understood the lack of ambition claim. Throwing £400m at a new stadium was a decloration to the biggest clubs in Europe that Arsenal were going to compete, something we couldn't guarantee with a 38,000 stadium. The flip side of that is that we havent been as competitive as we had been under Wenger(although we really should have won the league twice since 2004 imo and the CL in 2006 too)

Fabregas wanted to go home, fair enough, and Nasri etc were offered huge wages by a club funded externally. So do people want Arsenal to start handing out huge contracts to stop players leaving for City? Because that's a recipe for Leeds Utd and sounds more like mismanagement than ambition to me. Very easy for a Chelsea fan to throw the word ambition around when you dont have to fund that ambition internally.

I'll admit Arsenal are too cautious in the transfer market but even that's over rated. Liverpool just threw £100m at frankly **** players, so are they more ambitious than Arsenal under Wenger cause he got Podolski for £10m and not Carroll for £35m? Of course I understand that RVP has 2/3 years left in his career and needs to win trophies now(and fund his retirement...) but Arsenal will still be here in 100 years and in that context spending £400m on the Emirates is a decoration of real ambition imo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by Zürich
Never really understood the lack of ambition claim. Throwing £400m at a new stadium was a decloration to the biggest clubs in Europe that Arsenal were going to compete, something we couldn't guarantee with a 38,000 stadium. The flip side of that is that we havent been as competitive as we had been under Wenger(although we really should have won the league twice since 2004 imo and the CL in 2006 too)

Fabregas wanted to go home, fair enough, and Nasri etc were offered huge wages by a club funded externally. So do people want Arsenal to start handing out huge contracts to stop players leaving for City? Because that's a recipe for Leeds Utd and sounds more like mismanagement than ambition to me. Very easy for a Chelsea fan to throw the word ambition around when you dont have to fund that ambition internally.

I'll admit Arsenal are too cautious in the transfer market but even that's over rated. Liverpool just threw £100m at frankly **** players, so are they more ambitious than Arsenal under Wenger cause he got Podolski for £10m and not Carroll for £35m? Of course I understand that RVP has 2/3 years left in his career and needs to win trophies now(and fund his retirement...) but Arsenal will still be here in 100 years and in that context spending £400m on the Emirates is a decoration of real ambition imo.

Or you could say the stadium was built because it would bring owners further revenue in the future?

there is no guarantee that after next summer we will spend anything because were slowly paying off the debt. Only reason were gonna spend any money in the summer is because were loosing our grip on fourth which brings in huge amounts of revenue. Im pretty sure Kroenke would not care if we never went in the CL and earned the same amount. All that building a stadium does is help bring in future revenue for the owner but there is no guarantee the owner will invest that back into players and be "ambitious". As for wenger I would say he has ambition for sure but his philosophy of bringing success has flopped beyond laughing point
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
I swear this is supposed to be the Chelsea thread....
Reply 199
Original post by Tweek
I swear this is supposed to be the Chelsea thread....

Clearly the worlds biggest club is more important.

Latest