The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Humanities Firmers 2013

Hello thar.

My name is Courtney, and I just firmed American Studies (4 Years) and decided to create a thread for any Hums/Arts firmers to chat and get to know each other.

Chow for now <3

Scroll to see replies

I've firmed Ancient History and History (3 years) :smile:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by itmightbeclaire
I've firmed Ancient History and History (3 years) :smile:

Hey! What accommodation are you thinking? I've applied for Digby :3
Original post by fimblesocks
Hey! What accommodation are you thinking? I've applied for Digby :3

I applied for Oadby as well, but GMS or John Foster, would much prefer to be self-catered :tongue:
Reply 4
Leicester's a possible firm for me. Anyone doing English here? What did they think of the course/uni?
Reply 5
Hello thar.

My name is Courtney, and I just firmed American Studies (4 Years) and decided to create a thread for any Hums/Arts firmers to chat and get to know each other.

Chow for now <3

What made you firm leicester? and why the course of american studies?:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by UniGirl_x
What made you firm leicester? and why the course of american studies?:smile:

Leicester was the course, the exchange partners, the distance from home (3 hours which is near enough if I need parents but not near enough for a cuppa), the department and Oadby the student village which was beautiful.

American Studies, well quite honestly I could write an essay about that but all you need to know really is when I went to the library to find books on Russian history for my coursework I ended up with four American history and politics books.
Reply 7
Leicester was the course, the exchange partners, the distance from home (3 hours which is near enough if I need parents but not near enough for a cuppa), the department and Oadby the student village which was beautiful.

American Studies, well quite honestly I could write an essay about that but all you need to know really is when I went to the library to find books on Russian history for my coursework I ended up with four American history and politics books.

Im interested in a career in psychology..but i fell in love with the course idea of Psychology with American Studies. The major and main focus in on Psychology (which is great as i would love to do further study and a career in it) but i love the idea of american studies as i have always loved aspects of Journalism and media, specifically Fashion journalism. The year abroad is a bonus.
BUT..i have never studied history, not even at GCSE level and i have no knowledge whatsover on american history. Will this hinder me greatly? Would i struggle with no background in History or could i learn like others in 1st year at the same level? I study english literature and my favourites are based on american culture and by american writers and i LOVE the culture and country...aaaaah i have so much to say but my other thread goes in more detail. Please offer advice and help
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2301787&p=41984844
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm studying history. However, when i get there i might see if i can do some american studies as well because i really want to go to america for a year and for some reason, the abroad exchange to america with just history is a bit confusing
Reply 9
Original post by UniGirl_x
Im interested in a career in psychology..but i fell in love with the course idea of Psychology with American Studies. The major and main focus in on Psychology (which is great as i would love to do further study and a career in it) but i love the idea of american studies as i have always loved aspects of Journalism and media, specifically Fashion journalism. The year abroad is a bonus.
BUT..i have never studied history, not even at GCSE level and i have no knowledge whatsover on american history. Will this hinder me greatly? Would i struggle with no background in History or could i learn like others in 1st year at the same level? I study english literature and my favourites are based on american culture and by american writers and i LOVE the culture and country...aaaaah i have so much to say but my other thread goes in more detail. Please offer advice and help
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2301787&p=41984844

Hello, I read your thread.

I can't help too much because I don't know much about the course at sussex however at all the unis I've visited for American Studies (Nottingham, Leicester, Hull and Swansea) they say they cater for students that have not studied any American history or even history before. Your English will be a big plus and I think having the year abroad and the essay writing skills in addition to the Psychology from a very well respected uni will stand you in better sted than single honours psych (which the market is somewhat flooded with) Extra skills is always a plus.

Best thing to do is email Sussex and have a chat with them about it. Perhaps go and see if there is a history teacher at your school free an hour a week to go through some basic skills with you (would look good on your PS if mentioned in passing) and make sure you get some of the history reccomended reading from the library to see if you're actually interested in it (A New Introduction to American Studies, Temperly - is invaluable and covers all sorts of AMStud topics)

I hope this helps, don't be afraid to ask any more questions or whatever :smile:
Reply 10
Hello, I read your thread.

I can't help too much because I don't know much about the course at sussex however at all the unis I've visited for American Studies (Nottingham, Leicester, Hull and Swansea) they say they cater for students that have not studied any American history or even history before. Your English will be a big plus and I think having the year abroad and the essay writing skills in addition to the Psychology from a very well respected uni will stand you in better sted than single honours psych (which the market is somewhat flooded with) Extra skills is always a plus.

Best thing to do is email Sussex and have a chat with them about it. Perhaps go and see if there is a history teacher at your school free an hour a week to go through some basic skills with you (would look good on your PS if mentioned in passing) and make sure you get some of the history reccomended reading from the library to see if you're actually interested in it (A New Introduction to American Studies, Temperly - is invaluable and covers all sorts of AMStud topics)

I hope this helps, don't be afraid to ask any more questions or whatever :smile:

Thank you very much will do :smile:
I have firmed Leicester for Ancient History and Archaeology. Really looking forward to Autumn now :biggrin:
Original post by kathyw16
I have firmed Leicester for Ancient History and Archaeology. Really looking forward to Autumn now :biggrin:

What accommodation have/are you applying for? :smile:

I've heard awesome stuff about the Archaeology and Ancient History courses at Leiester so I'm not surprised that you're looking forward to Autumn! I'm also super hyped in general! :biggrin: Now it's time to revise and meet those offers :/
Original post by itmightbeclaire
What accommodation have/are you applying for? :smile:

I'm not sure yet but I'm looking at self catered ensuite :smile: how about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot
I've heard awesome stuff about the Archaeology and Ancient History courses at Leiester so I'm not surprised that you're looking forward to Autumn! I'm also super hyped in general! :biggrin: Now it's time to revise and meet those offers :/

Hard work begins :frown: on the positive side what made you firm Leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hard work begins :frown: on the positive side what made you firm Leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked the department for Modern Languages (which is what I will be doing along with a minor in Management) plus I know the city inside out because I live here! Yes all of you now have an official tour guide :biggrin: :cool:
I'm not sure yet but I'm looking at self catered ensuite :smile: how about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!
Original post by charlie8
I'm studying history. However, when i get there i might see if i can do some american studies as well because i really want to go to america for a year and for some reason, the abroad exchange to america with just history is a bit confusing

I've firmed for history too! :smile: aha also the same thing about going to America, its really confusing that for some reason you cant go with just history :/
Reply 19
Firmed Leicester! History and Politics! Also hoping to jump onto the American Studies USA study opportunities. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending