The Student Room Group

help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by madfish
No! I am not winding you up! dont worry :smile:

But yea, I know that... but where do I get these numbers?!! there are no coordinates in the question or anything?? Eugh, i give up on this, ill move onto the next question on the book...

Can you find a relationship between (1,1) ; (2,2) ; (3,3) ... (n,n)?
Reply 41
Original post by Noble.
Ok, I will tell you the answer - not that it's going to help you.

For the circle to 'touch' each axis we must have that the centre point of the circle is of the form (a,b)(a,b) where a=ba=b

Since we also have that (a,b)(a,b) lies on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 we must have b=3a4b=3a-4 but we also know that a=ba=b, so a=3a4a = 3a -4 gives the centre of the circle being (2,2)(2,2) now the radius is also obvious.

I understand it now, that was more helpful than all the other posts combined.

Reply 42
Original post by madfish
I understand it now, that was more helpful than all the other posts combined.

No it wasn't. You think it was helpful because I told you the answer, you need to learn to think for yourself - you're going to be royally screwed in AS Maths exams in all honesty.
Reply 43
Original post by Noble.
Ok, I will tell you the answer - not that it's going to help you.

For the circle to 'touch' each axis we must have that the centre point of the circle is of the form (a,b)(a,b) where a=ba=b

Since we also have that (a,b)(a,b) lies on the line y=3x4y=3x-4 we must have b=3a4b=3a-4 but we also know that a=ba=b, so a=3a4a = 3a -4 gives the centre of the circle being (2,2)(2,2) now the radius is also obvious.

why are we allowed to set b equal to 3a-4?
Reply 44
Original post by madfish
why are we allowed to set b equal to 3a-4?

Because it lies on the line y=3x-4
Reply 45
Original post by Noble.
No it wasn't. You think it was helpful because I told you the answer, you need to learn to think for yourself - you're going to be royally screwed in AS Maths exams in all honesty.

But I now understand it as you showed me how to arrive at the answer, I have thought about it
Original post by Noble.
Because it lies on the line y=3x-4

I think he means why do we have the x co ordinate = to the y coordinate?

Is the centre the origin?
Reply 47
Original post by joostan
Can you find a relationship between (1,1) ; (2,2) ; (3,3) ... (n,n)?

yep, the x and y coordinates are equal distance from the axis
Reply 48
Original post by madfish
yep, the x and y coordinates are equal distance from the axis

OK so can you see how this is a requirement for the circle? The centre must be equidistant from the x-axis and the y-axis?
Reply 49
Original post by madfish
But I now understand it as you showed me how to arrive at the answer, I have thought about it

Yes, but this was for a specific case, unless you get the identical question, you're probably not going to know how to do it. How about this, it's essentially the exact same question:

"A circle touches the negative y-axis and the negative x-axis and it's centre lies on the line y=5x+7. What is the equation of the circle?"
Reply 50
Original post by Noble.
Yes, but this was for a specific case, unless you get the identical question, you're probably not going to know how to do it. How about this, it's essentially the exact same question:

"A circle touches the negative y-axis and the negative x-axis and it's centre lies on the line y=5x+7. What is the equation of the circle?"

b=5a+7 but since they are equal distance form the axis then a=5a+7 therefore a=-7/4 and b=-7/4

job done
Reply 51
Original post by madfish
b=5a+7 but since they are equal distance form the axis then a=5a+7 therefore a=-7/4 and b=-7/4

job done

Where's the equation of the circle? :lol:
Original post by Noble.

My turn for questions...

Why is it an equal distance from both sets of axis? (x=y)

The centre isn't the origin?
Reply 53
Original post by Noble.

sorry forgot that part :P

It would be (x+7/4)^2 + (y+7/4)^2 = 49/16 ??
Reply 54
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My turn for questions...

Why is it an equal distance from both sets of axis? (x=y)

The centre isn't the origin?

Because it just touches both axes, so the centre point must satisfy x=y, otherwise the circle would 'overhang' one of the axes, or not touch it.
Original post by Noble.
Because it just touches both axes, so the centre point must satisfy x=y, otherwise the circle would 'overhang' one of the axes, or not touch it.

oh, it lies on them?

I thought it just crossed over it like one tiny part of it
Reply 56
Original post by L'Evil Fish
oh, it lies on them?

I thought it just crossed over it like one tiny part of it

Generally when it says 'touches' it means just at one point.
Reply 57
Original post by Noble.

Was the equation right? :smile:

do you mind asking me some more c2 circle questions? I just find I try a lot harder in them if I am doing them for someone else... only if you don't mind :smile:
Original post by Noble.

That makes a lot more sense now :facepalm: sorry about that :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by madfish
Was the equation right? :smile:

do you mind asking me some more c2 circle questions? I just find I try a lot harder in them if I am doing them for someone else... only if you don't mind :smile:

Given that the radius rr is a solution to x2+x7=0x^2 + x - 7 = 0 and the point (1,2)(1,2) lies on the circle and given that all points (p,q)(p,q) on the circle are positive, that is p>0p >0 and q>0q>0 what conditions must we put on the centre of the circle (a,b)(a,b) to ensure a circle satisfies all these things?

Quick Reply

Latest